Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud Suspension Thump at Low Speeds or Sharp Turns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having an issue with my Tesla Model 3 where a loud "thunk", "clunk", or "thump" sound is coming from my suspension or wheel area (I think). Whenever I am at relatively low speed and making a sharp turn, or sometimes when I'm at an incline and going up a small ramp (like a parking garage) is when I hear it. I most often hear it backing out of my driveway, with my wheel cranked to the right. When it occurs, I can kind of feel the vibration in the car (hard to tell where from exactly but it's either at the pedal or the wheel, possibly both). I have recorded a video of it from both inside and outside the cabin. You can hear it at the ~2 second mark from the inside and then at the ~8 second mark from the outside. Anyone have any ideas what this is?

If it's a control arm issue I'd have it looked at ASAP. Sounds to loud to be a CV joint but I wouldn't totally rule that out. Depending on year they have had some control arm issues, I have a 2019 and they replaced them both at about 20k miles when they started making noise (not quite like this though). The bolt backing out is a pretty rare occurrence but that could make a sound like that if it was really loose. I'd take a peak as Dan suggested and get it into the service center asap.

Hey @3peat did you ever get this serviced or fixed? We picked up our MYLR at the end of December and almost immediately noticed the same. It also seemed to happen when pulling fast out of our driveway turning left (right front wheel noticed), and last week I finally noticed that when going over a speed bump with just the right side of the vehicle I would hear an initial "bump" from the front right while going over the bump, then again a re-setting "bump" 15-30 feet after the speed bump. It went to the service center over the weekend and they diagnosed it as HV pack compression strips. I got it back this morning and it seems to have fixed it.

Any lead on this issue? I have almost the same noise and it’s driving me nuts.
I would also like to know. I have the same issue and have about 19k miles on it.
Can you elaborate on that. Does it seem above wheel or you need to disassemble things.
Same noise for me. My Y has had it since brand new and it is now less than 5000 miles.

Wondering if it is worth a service visit. It only happens on a steep incline and then a left or right sharp turn.
Hey @3peat did you ever get this serviced or fixed? We picked up our MYLR at the end of December and almost immediately noticed the same. It also seemed to happen when pulling fast out of our driveway turning left (right front wheel noticed), and last week I finally noticed that when going over a speed bump with just the right side of the vehicle I would hear an initial "bump" from the front right while going over the bump, then again a re-setting "bump" 15-30 feet after the speed bump. It went to the service center over the weekend and they diagnosed it as HV pack compression strips. I got it back this morning and it seems to have fixed it.

I had the issue come back way, way worse and I took it in to the SC again. They found that the "front sway bar was loose." and they ended up performing a "front suspension torque check to verify everything is torqued to spec". That's what they wrote on the invoice. When I talked to the guy he said there was a "loosened nut and bolt that required retorquing." This was back about 13 months ago and the problem has not come back since. They also ended up performing an alignment which I paid for out of pocket.