Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love mountain driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove into the Coachella Valley today from San Diego. For those not familiar with the drive, HWY 74 is a steep mountain road with lots of tight curves and incredible views. I had so much fun driving this road in my Tesla! I'm still wearing my Tesla grin. An added bonus was the reality of my vehicles energy efficiency. It's a record for me!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    611.2 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: Mknac
I drove into the Coachella Valley today from San Diego. For those not familiar with the drive, HWY 74 is a steep mountain road with lots of tight curves and incredible views. I had so much fun driving this road in my Tesla! I'm still wearing my Tesla grin. An added bonus was the reality of my vehicles energy efficiency. It's a record for me!
I take that route often, the impact of regen is impressive although i still need to hit the brakes more often than I'd prefer. And I still stop at the overlook almost every time. Did you take it back up yet ? The car loves it!

I took my first real windy mountain road today to get to a trailhead. What was pretty amazing is the lack of body roll seemed to prevent carsickness which my family always seems to get on those kinds of roads. The effortless acceleration up the mountain was addictive and the regen allowed for one pedal driving instead of constantly switching pedals at every bend in the road. Quite enjoyable!

jmsurpri said:
he effortless acceleration up the mountain was addictive and the regen allowed for one pedal driving instead of constantly switching pedals at every bend in the road. Quite enjoyable!
+1 I've been up the Angeles Crest Highway twice and it's amazing how little you need to use the brakes coming down, even driving somewhat aggressively. We also drove over Tioga Pass between Mammoth and Yosemite in June.

The Mt. Wilson drive, a mix of freeway climbing ~1,000 feet, then mountain road to 5,700 feet, used 82 miles rated range going up and -1 mile rated range coming down. How much was used going up Mt. Evans?

Highly recommend Mt. Rose highway (Nevada 431) Goes from Lake Tahoe (el. 6200) to 9000 feet pass and down to Reno. Lots of great views along the way. Lots of tight steep turns. I used to love it in my Porsche but, like everything, it's better in the Tesla.

Reactions: Tree95