Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Regen mode coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are those? How do you adjust regen?
They are programmable buttons that sends commands through the CANBUS via a transmitter. One of the functions available is to adjust the regen level from 0%~100% in 25% increments (among several regen adjustments available). I actually prefer full regen all the time, but it has been useful to replicate ICE car operations for my daughter using my car to practice driving on her permit.

Just google S3XY buttons or search in these forums for more information.

They are programmable buttons that sends commands through the CANBUS via a transmitter. One of the functions available is to adjust the regen level from 0%~100% in 25% increments (among several regen adjustments available). I actually prefer full regen all the time, but it has been useful to replicate ICE car operations for my daughter using my car to practice driving on her permit.

Just google S3XY buttons or search in these forums for more information.
Thanks, they look awesome and are likely to solve the regen problem! Ordered.

Ok so no creep or roll modes is an S and maybe X thing then. Weird.

I don’t get the benefit in removing them as an option. I understand removing low regen because it has some benefit on EPA range rating, but taking out creep and roll is pointless.

Maybe it’s a technical problem they don’t want to deal with solving.

The refresh S/X use dual permanent magnet motors. Permanent magnet motors don’t like to freewheel so in order to creep or roll some energy needs to be sent through the motors. Maybe the difference in gearing etc between front and rear makes it too difficult to sync and roll/creep smoothly?

Maybe it’s a technical problem they don’t want to deal with solving.

The refresh S/X use dual permanent magnet motors. Permanent magnet motors don’t like to freewheel so in order to creep or roll some energy needs to be sent through the motors. Maybe the difference in gearing etc between front and rear makes it too difficult to sync and roll/creep smoothly?
Wouldn't that apply to just applying very low throttle to maintain a set speed similar to what creep and roll would do anyway? And I believe the cars do still let you put them in "neutral" while driving, which wouldn't be so different from how roll worked. Plaid also has same gear ratio front and rear, though I could see them not wanting to differentiate plaid and LR in that manner

Who knows what their reasoning is. I've learned not to try to make sense of what Tesla does.

Getting rid of roll as an option makes no sense. Since kinetic energy goes as v^2 the extra energy you recover with regen down to 0 mph vs 5 mph is basically a rounding error. I personally prefer roll to one-pedal, would hate to give it up.
I've never been able to figure out a practical use case for Roll. As far as I'm concerned, all it does is replicate one of the few undesirable behaviors of a manual transmission - rolling backwards on a slope if your foot is not on the brake. But maybe I am missing something - what do you use it for?

I've never been able to figure out a practical use case for Roll. As far as I'm concerned, all it does is replicate one of the few undesirable behaviors of a manual transmission - rolling backwards on a slope if your foot is not on the brake. But maybe I am missing something - what do you use it for?
I find I can do smoother stops with roll. I gave one-pedal a good long try to get used to it, but my stops were just never quite as smooth. My wife is very sensitive to motion sickness, one-pedal was not good for her as a passenger.

Reactions: evannole