Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low speed noise from 1st Sept cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Nissan Leaf makes a noise up to about 15mph. It's quite inoffensive and not too loud. However, you can turn it off with a button on the dashboard. I think this is because of UK laws about noise after 11pm, so I wonder if the Model 3 has this option.

When I ordered my Model 3 in August I asked the sales lady about this and she said the Model 3 would not have this noise put on for the EU as it is only required on totally new models, not new cars of an already launched model...
Another example of Tesla staff not having the faintest clue! Although, the sales guy who conducted my test drive said the opposite - that cars being ordered at that time would likely have the sound generator fitted.

Reactions: CMc1
I wonder if it can be disabled via the control screen? Many other EVs (perhaps all) have the ability to disable them, at least until the next restart. I wonder too just how well attached the speaker connectors are? I'd hate for them to fall off or for the wires to break.

I would like the ability to have this retrofitted. I live near some schools, if it stops a kid walking into my path then worth a million dollars. Not so fussed about some of their parents though ;)

I actually think both work well. Glad they have the Jetsons type sound, but for forward use it would probably get a few strange looks, so keeping it to reverse, probably a wise move.

Reactions: M3noob
I think by a certain time in the next few years high possibility that all electric cars have to be retrofitted to make noise under certain speed :(

Only new cars, nothing is going to affect those already sold.

Currently the requirement is to fit them on newly approved vehicles, so MY for example will need it, but S/X/3 do not. For the rest, we have until July 2021 before all new cars will need it regardless of when the vehicle was first approved for sale.

Reactions: Adambirch
none of the 69 plate cars will be affected as they are already being shipped. This will be for FY20
I'm not so sure about that. Plenty of people have cars 4-6 weeks after build. It'll probably get quicker with the Philadelphia route now in operation. That's plenty of time for some to reach us before the year end. Remember there's still a significant order backlog to clear.

Currently the requirement is to fit them on newly approved vehicles, so MY for example will need it, but S/X/3 do not. For the rest, we have until July 2021 before all new cars will need it regardless of when the vehicle was first approved for sale.

This was my understanding too from the chat with the Tesla sales lady

Reactions: Mark_T
Trev ( from Tesla owners online) said he got the info from a Tesla technician

A553EC10-7187-4EEB-BD08-5180692566CC.jpeg

what the requirement is now does not mean it will not be changed later on, There was also talk that all electric cars including hybrids having to be retrofitted in like 2021. if that one got passed or not is another matter, but it will happen, there are too many cars out there now, and tbh it is dangerous, quite a few people have been knocked / knocked over especially in reversing, but as it was so slow no injury so no data.