Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Voltage Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy New Year! Yesterday afternoon I received the attached message. How soon should I get 12V battery replaced? How much longer (estimated) do I possibly have before it completely dies?

Attachments

• E97DE88A-347F-47A8-8831-E6C717583A50.jpeg
    E97DE88A-347F-47A8-8831-E6C717583A50.jpeg
    573.4 KB · Views: 4,641
I spoke with a Tesla mechanic when I had this message and was told you usually have at least a month before it becomes critical, ie. car won't turn on. However your vampire drain may be higher as your main battery pack may have to charge the 12v battery more often.
Unlike an ICE vehicle where you need a massive current draw for the starter and the battery can seem to fail in one day, with an EV it is usually the peak voltage and how quickly the battery drains that become an issue which are normally more gradual processes. You can usually spot these things somewhat in advance.

I ordered it the day I got error, it took two weeks to get it. I changed it, took about an hour because my 2012 has it so hard to get out. We finally slid a strap under battery and lifted it right out. The SC charged me $160 for battery. They wanted $300, hour labor total. The YouTube videos were close but not perfect since mine is so old. You need some small metric sockets and patience.

Really depends. If it is cold weather, you got maybe 1 week or less. If it is hot or warm, maybe a month like others have said. My experience was my first 12V pack lasted about 3 weeks before I did the change myself. The 2nd time, it was about 1 week. If I waited longer I risk getting locked out and having to pop the front or so to get the 12V jumper to get the car open. Windows and lift gate was barely opening and such by the end of thr 1st week of warning. So yeah change it out sooner rather than later is better for you. And you can change it yourself. No need to take it to tesla unless you have extra money or don't want to take your time to do it. Took me about 20-30 minutes total if you know what to do. Otherwise 1 hour fussing around.

Where are people recommending we get a new 12V battery nowdays? I just got the same message today. My original battery lasted >4 years, but I decided to replace it myself in November 2019 with the deep cycle battery that Gruber sells. It only lasted 2 years +1 month! Looking for options.

Where are people recommending we get a new 12V battery nowdays? I just got the same message today. My original battery lasted >4 years, but I decided to replace it myself in November 2019 with the deep cycle battery that Gruber sells. It only lasted 2 years +1 month! Looking for options.
It’s $165 from Tesla. There aren’t a lot of other off the shelf options.

its recommended 30 days from when the warning comes on you replace it. don't waste your money paying tesla to change the battery. just go to your nearest SC and ask for parts and buy a new 12v battery outright for $165 (no core charge) and take it home and change it yourself. Never pay service workers to do basic tasks a monkey could do.
I don't pay for service unless its something tesla wont sell me the parts for unless they do the install, example charge port door sensor, $80 part cost $110 for them to install.

its recommended 30 days from when the warning comes on you replace it. don't waste your money paying tesla to change the battery. just go to your nearest SC and ask for parts and buy a new 12v battery outright for $165 (no core charge) and take it home and change it yourself. Never pay service workers to do basic tasks a monkey could do.
I don't pay for service unless its something tesla wont sell me the parts for unless they do the install, example charge port door sensor, $80 part cost $110 for them to install.
I do a LOT of my own maintenance, but for an extra $39 they came to my driveway, changed the battery, and took the old one away without me even having to put pants on.

Would take a lot more than $39 of my time to drive to the service center and back. Twice, because at some point I’ll have to get rid of the dead slug of lead.

I do a LOT of my own maintenance, but for an extra $39 they came to my driveway, changed the battery, and took the old one away without me even having to put pants on.

Would take a lot more than $39 of my time to drive to the service center and back. Twice, because at some point I’ll have to get rid of the dead slug of lead.
The SC doesn't accept core returns (at least mine doesn't) so I took my old battery to my local AutoZone and gave it to them since there is no charge to drop off a battery for recycling.

Everyone has a different case. I can't do mobile service because I live 2hr from the SC and even if I could $39 is money in my pocket.

And my SC is like 30 min from my brewing supply shop so it's not that big of a deal to go a little out of the way. Also I consider anything I can drive to in 3 hours to be close because I'm from CA and nothing is actually close to me.

Last year Tesla was not consistent in their response IF the Low Voltage Battery is covered under the 4yr General Warranty. It appears they are now covering replacement under warranty. Probably because they don't want the bad press about this issue. Schedule it via the app, and your Estimate of Cost should come back ZERO, if you're Telsa is still still in warranty. My LVB failed after 3ys and 10 months, and it was covered.

How much they charge if they come to our house to replace plus how much is the battery cost
Late reply but I just got the low voltage warning. Battery is $165+tax and labor is quoted at $72. Labor seems steep but I just replaced my HEPA filter and don't feel like taking the frunk tub out again so I'll probably just pay the $72 and have them come to me and replace it at work.