Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm leaning towards UP as well, but looking for recent info about the noise issues.

I'm also very unsure between UP Mild and Moderate. Their website says 0.7" for Mild and 1.5" for Moderate, but there doesn't seem to be much difference between the 2 on the pics on their site.

Again, on paper ... I'm concerned 0.7" is not worth the money and effort, but concerned I'll have scrapping/ride quality/alignment/tire wear issues with 1.5".

For me, I think 1" would be perfect ... but I'm having trouble finding someone that offers a 1" drop for an SR.

Attachments

• 90655450_496937687855146_7664820124162981888_n.png
    90655450_496937687855146_7664820124162981888_n.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 346
  • 90615800_3050691298327857_6216722564027252736_n.png
    90615800_3050691298327857_6216722564027252736_n.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 325
I haven't seen a single noise issue about Eibach whereas UP seems hit and miss. Also, the fact that UP relies on these plastic noise isolators gives me the impression they made a design error whereas Eibach (and others) don't have noise nor need for the isolators. The other issue besides noise for the UP moderates (which may be corrected now) is that reverse rake look.

• Helpful
Reactions: Thibbi
I haven't seen a single noise issue about Eibach whereas UP seems hit and miss. Also, the fact that UP relies on these plastic noise isolators gives me the impression they made a design error whereas Eibach (and others) don't have noise nor need for the isolators. The other issue besides noise for the UP moderates (which may be corrected now) is that reverse rake look.

Great feedback ...

Though I've read several complaints about reverse rake with the Eibach springs ... at least on the SRs.

Great feedback ...

Though I've read several complaints about reverse rake with the Eibach springs ... at least on the SRs.

I've seen 2 local SR+ cars locally on Eibachs (E10-87-001-04-22) and both are even. I'm guessing SR and SR+ are same weight. However, that doesn't mean there are no incidences of reverse rakes with the Eibachs but I have not actually seen any whereas I've seen many pics of the pronounced reverse rake with UPs.

If you look at the UP spring install instructions it is very particular where you put that isolator. I assume this is where the springs are likely to rub and therefore make noise. Over the long haul, this isolator might wear out or shift. Seems like a band-aid solution. Guess there's no perfect solution and if the affordability is there then coilovers will definitely avoid and rake issue.

I've seen 2 local SR+ cars locally on Eibachs (E10-87-001-04-22) and both are even. I'm guessing SR and SR+ are same weight. However, that doesn't mean there are no incidences of reverse rakes with the Eibachs but I have not actually seen any whereas I've seen many pics of the pronounced reverse rake with UPs.

If you look at the UP spring install instructions it is very particular where you put that isolator. I assume this is where the springs are likely to rub and therefore make noise. Over the long haul, this isolator might wear out or shift. Seems like a band-aid solution. Guess there's no perfect solution and if the affordability is there then coilovers will definitely avoid and rake issue.

That's great to hear about the SR+ being even!
How much was the drop on the SR+s? ... I've seen differing information.
How did they look? Was it low enough to be noticeable but not so low to have issues when driving on the street?
Do you know the screen names of the ones you've seen ... I can look them up and try to find pics.

Yes, SR and SR+ are exactly the same weigh ... the only difference between the 2 is software.

Good points about the isolator on the UP springs.

I'm leaning towards UP as well, but looking for recent info about the noise issues.

I'm also very unsure between UP Mild and Moderate. Their website says 0.7" for Mild and 1.5" for Moderate, but there doesn't seem to be much difference between the 2 on the pics on their site.

Again, on paper ... I'm concerned 0.7" is not worth the money and effort, but concerned I'll have scrapping/ride quality/alignment/tire wear issues with 1.5".

For me, I think 1" would be perfect ... but I'm having trouble finding someone that offers a 1" drop for an SR.
If you had to pick between the two, I'd say go Mild, unless you have a pretty flat and smooth route regularly and don't carry passengers/cargo. Your car will be even lower when it's loaded up. For better or worse, your camber won't be significantly impacted - at least not in the front - so I wouldn't worry about wear too much...just take some hard corners and it'll even out. The lower ride will also further reduce the lifespan of the stock struts.

That's great to hear about the SR+ being even!
How much was the drop on the SR+s? ... I've seen differing information.
How did they look? Was it low enough to be noticeable but not so low to have issues when driving on the street?
Do you know the screen names of the ones you've seen ... I can look them up and try to find pics.

Yes, SR and SR+ are exactly the same weigh ... the only difference between the 2 is software.

Good points about the isolator on the UP springs.
They both look really good. Definitely noticeable, even drop, but not tucked in. Perfect in my opinion. I'm not sure if they are on this forum. They are in a Vancouver TM3 FB group. I did see pics of uneven Eibach springs but it didn't say which part number they used. Maybe they chose the wrong part number? One of the threads on this forum said they ran Eibachs for 6 months and I'm not even sure the SR/SR+ specific springs were available at that time.

Reactions: fritzner
Here's some interesting specs I found on Electrek:
  • Curb weight:
    • 3549 lbs. (Model 3)
    • 3814 lbs. (Model 3 Long Range)
  • Weight distribution:
    • 47% front, 53% rear (Model 3)
    • 48% front, 52% rear (Model 3 Long Range)
Doing the math means the SR/SR+ is 162.7 lbs lighter over the front wheels. If you install springs made for an LR on the SR/SR+ you will likely have a reverse rake.

I’ve got the mild. It completely takes away the huge wheel gap. I drive over speed and security bumps everyday and anything lower than mild would scrape. I did a diy install and have no clunking issues. Make sure the top hat but is tightened all the way down.

Here's some interesting specs I found on Electrek:
  • Curb weight:
    • 3549 lbs. (Model 3)
    • 3814 lbs. (Model 3 Long Range)
  • Weight distribution:
    • 47% front, 53% rear (Model 3)
    • 48% front, 52% rear (Model 3 Long Range)
Doing the math means the SR/SR+ is 162.7 lbs lighter over the front wheels. If you install springs made for an LR on the SR/SR+ you will likely have a reverse rake.
According to the owners manual the LR curb weight is 4,072 lbs. and 3,552 lbs. for the standard (single-motor)

According to the owners manual the LR curb weight is 4,072 lbs. and 3,552 lbs. for the standard (single-motor)
That's might be more accurate - I did not fact check it. Is the 4,072 figure for AWD or RWD long range? Guess the main point is that the different models are different weights and more than likely also different weight distribution. It is possible that adding a bigger battery can be done to not change the weight distribution but I would guess this isn't the case. Therefore, springs are not interchangeable between different configurations and anyone who has the reverse rake, it may be due to the incorrect spring. If you get springs designed for a LR RWD it should bolt on to a SR/SR+ no problem but likely give the wrong rake.

Reactions: fritzner
I'll be installing them myself.
I would LOVE new wheels, but NO budget for that at the moment. Also can't decide what to get. I really love something like staggered 20" VMR V710, but they definitely will kill the range. I also really like the look of the stock sport wheels. 20" are cool, but 19" are easier to run year around. T-Sportline has some cool wheels too ... so I'm clearly all over the place, but since I have no money it doesn't really matter at the moment.

E10-87-001-04-22 is the correct springs for the SR. I've read quite a bit and from what I have gathered there is NOT a reverse rake with the Eibach. That seems to have come from early SRs installing LR RWD springs.

Here are some wheel set ups that I am currently drooling over...

Attachments

• 2020-02-28 11_58_23-VMR-V710-Vehicle-Slide-1.png
    2020-02-28 11_58_23-VMR-V710-Vehicle-Slide-1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 294
  • IMG_20190829_143559.jpg
    IMG_20190829_143559.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 289
  • FB2766E5-1AC5-4440-9D99-1C6BCA72A3E8.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 87288092_10116998495266041_7372640680201420800_o.jpg
    87288092_10116998495266041_7372640680201420800_o.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 272
  • 20191005_185532-jobkl.jpg
    20191005_185532-jobkl.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 322
I'll be installing them myself.
I would LOVE new wheels, but NO budget for that at the moment. Also can't decide what to get. I really love something like staggered 20" VMR V710, but they definitely will kill the range. I also really like the look of the stock sport wheels. 20" are cool, but 19" are easier to run year around. T-Sportline has some cool wheels too ... so I'm clearly all over the place, but since I have no money it doesn't really matter at the moment.

E10-87-001-04-22 is the correct springs for the SR. I've read quite a bit and from what I have gathered there is NOT a reverse rake with the Eibach. That seems to have come from early SRs installing LR RWD springs.

Here are some wheel set ups that I am currently drooling over...

Awesome fritzner another question are you going to also add wheel spacer with the springs?