Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool! Have you done any acceleration and range tests with your new setup?

Nope, nothing quantified yet. I'm sure it's less efficient that the 18" aeros I had on there before that were specifically designed for maximum range, but I can follow up with something more scientific than that when I get more miles in. For acceleration, not enough difference to really notice. I thought it was a little slower at first, but then I didn't notice it the next day on a full charge. (either way, it is still a fast enough car that handles like its on a rail) The handling and grip feels improved while the ride harshness is actually about the same as stock. (which was the most surprising part to me - I thought the combination of the lowering springs and drastic reduction of tire side wall would make it a super stiff and noisy ride)

• Informative
Reactions: dgaultiere
Installed my Moderate UP springs and new wheel set over the weekend. Ride and look is exactly what I was going for.

Wheels: Rohana RFX10's, 20x9/10 (Purchased From GetYourWheels.com, super easy and good pricing)

Ride looks great! Love the stance.

I have the same white M3 on order waiting for delivery date too, and ome of the first things i want to do is drop it slightly. Currently torn between the mild .7" lowering springs or moderate 1.5" springs from Unplugged. The sportier drop of the moderate looks much better to me, but worried about bottoming out and scraping. I lowered my old Infiniti with Eibachs years ago and always had to deal with scraping and over steep inclines and speed bumps.

Can you offer more details on how the ride height is doing with speed bumps, steep inclines or driveways etc?

Leaning towards going safe in case the moderate springa settle even more.

Who did the spring install for you? Had been looking for somebody who could do the install locally.

I actually have a friend of a friend that has access to a lift and we did it ourselves. Took us about 5 hours, but it should only take ~2.5 hours for someone that has done it before and has a lift. It's a pretty straightforward job - the rears took about 20 mins to put on once we had the wheels off and we got hung up a little on the fronts. Prior to doing the swap, I quoted at a couple of shops in the bay area (FFTEC, Speed Element, some others) and it was ~$600 - $700 and no one could do it within the next couple of weeks.

• Informative
Unplugged's dual rate springs are $335, but they offer free shipping. Curious what @UnpluggedP thoughts are regarding having a linear front/progressive rear combo and pluses/minuses between those and the dual rates.

Thank you for tagging us. Our point of view is that we prefer to let our product and our customer’s experiences do the talking since the facts are out there already. No marketing spin needed. Needless to say for anyone who knows the industry, making either a linear or a progressive spring is less expensive to make and significantly easier to create compared to the path we’ve taken partnering with a F1 & Indy Car spring supplier and developing a true dual rate spring with two distinct linear programmed spring rates and a defined transition period engineered into each front dual rate spring and two more distinct linear spring rates engineered into each rear dual rate spring.

We underwent extensive engineering and evaluation creating our dual rate springs as well as our coilovers over many months (starting last October for those who follow our Instagram). If we would have felt that the best result were to do a simpler product to engineer and lower cost to produce item, surely we would have done so. It was difficult as it was to keep our costs as low as we have for such an expensive to make item and made in USA from such a high grade factory partner. We could have (of course) gone with a more typical aftermarket type brand partner such as Eibach, and/or created a simplified easier and cheaper to make product using linear or progressive springs. We took a harder path, not for fun but because we were focused not on being the first but being the best. The fact that we were the first to market as well was unexpected and not our main goal although we are glad there are so many users who vouch for our product engineering. At this point there are dozens of reviews and hundreds of active users of our springs on the road today, ranging from everyday use to racing at Laguna Seca. For our product the discussion is no longer theoretical but factual.

As a side note to that topic of factual vs theoretical - we’ve gone as far as to have the most trusted voice for Tesla information, Ben Sullins of Teslanomics create his own independent data driven testing to measure comfort before and after on his own car using vibration frequency. Teslanomics released a full youtube video on it with hard data validating our engineering.

The feedback we’ve seen online and received has been phenomenal and has encouraged us to make our recent third application “Mild” so that our range is fully rounded out with something for everyone.

From our side on this topic, we have no desire to disparage other products. We are confident in our own engineering and we encourage the product to speak for itself and for facts and logic to prevail.

@ckop24, (or anybody with the moderate drop) any observations about scraping r bottoming out over speed bumps and steep inclines/declines?

I know somebody earlier in the thread with the UP moderate springs mentioned scraping the underside/battery going down into their parking garage. Trying to find out if he was an exception or the rule.

Any pics of installed UP mild springs would be appreciated too. Thanks.

@ckop24, (or anybody with the moderate drop) any observations about scraping r bottoming out over speed bumps and steep inclines/declines?

I know somebody earlier in the thread with the UP moderate springs mentioned scraping the underside/battery going down into their parking garage. Trying to find out if he was an exception or the rule.

Any pics of installed UP mild springs would be appreciated too. Thanks.
That was me bottoming out. I measured the car before and after the drop, and their moderate springs dropped my car 2.0", not 1.5". I measured the wheel well, the front bumper and the underside of the car. My wheel well went from 2.5" to 0.5" in both the front and the back, and my front bumper went from 8.0" to 6.0" clearance. The bottom of the battery pack went from 5.75" to 3.75". They told me the numbers on their website are just for reference. I had them reinstall my OEM springs and going to have them put the milds on when they arrive. It was $$$ to get the springs on, then off, then eventually on again, but worth it to not be destroying my battery pack every time I go in or out of my garage. Lesson learned.

That was me bottoming out. I measured the car before and after the drop, and their moderate springs dropped my car 2.0", not 1.5". I measured the wheel well, the front bumper and the underside of the car. My wheel well went from 2.5" to 0.5" in both the front and the back, and my front bumper went from 8.0" to 6.0" clearance. The bottom of the battery pack went from 5.75" to 3.75". They told me the numbers on their website are just for reference. I had them reinstall my OEM springs and going to have them put the milds on when they arrive. It was $$$ to get the springs on, then off, then eventually on again, but worth it to not be destroying my battery pack every time I go in or out of my garage. Lesson learned.

Wow your battery pack is only 3.75" off the ground? That's about the same height as my Lotus and I have to drive it all slow and sideways over any sort of speed bump. I'm going to wait a little longer before doing this.

Thanks for the feedback Andre. Don't think I can go with the moderate springs if I would always be worring about speed bumps and steep driveways. Love the look but not worth the anxiety of scraping my battery.

That said, sounds like I'll have to hold off until I see some reviews and pics of the mild springs installed then. Hoping it's a good balance of performance and looks.

Andre, if you dont mind sharing your review and pics once you have the mild springs installed that would be much appreciated.

I'm having a similar dilemma right now. I put on the moderate springs, but it's lower than I expected. (similar numbers to Andre, but mine is about 0.5" wheel well gap in front and 0.25" gap in rear, battery is also only ~3.75" off the ground) I'm not having issues scraping on anything yet, but mild springs would have probably been the better option for me. However, I'm not sure I want to go through the effort to take these off and switch them since it does look pretty good now and handles like a dream.

Some more pics for fun
IMG_20180425_213342 (1).jpg
IMG_20180425_204332.jpg
IMG_20180425_204357.jpg
IMG_20180425_205037.jpg

I'm having a similar dilemma right now. I put on the moderate springs, but it's lower than I expected. (similar numbers to Andre, but mine is about 0.5" wheel well gap in front and 0.25" gap in rear, battery is also only ~3.75" off the ground) I'm not having issues scraping on anything yet, but mild springs would have probably been the better option for me. However, I'm not sure I want to go through the effort to take these off and switch them since it does look pretty good now and handles like a dream.

Some more pics for funView attachment 297198 View attachment 297199 View attachment 297200 View attachment 297201
Ok you guys got me worried. I was a little weary of the 1.5 drop, but thought It would be ok, but 2 in is a bit much. My car is in the shop today. Will report back to see what it looks like after they are done today.