Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@atlas310 - shoot us an email and we'd be happy to get you pricing on the various options.

But does the ride quality suffer with coilovers?

Yeah that's a common concern - the result of cheap coilovers on cars for far too many years. You have to remember there is nothing about a "coilover" that correlates with a rough ride. It's just a damper, and a spring that has an adjustable perch. There's no magic there.

Our sports suspension has been tuned to ride like stock despite maintaining a firmer platform. Our comfort coilovers will actually be less sharp than OEM, as we took a little bit of the edge off of the factory dampers, which are impressively valved - but a bit too much for some.

The alignment specs posted above are a great example of why you need to correct the rear camber when lowering these cars. The front camber at -1.0 is right around where you want it, and an adjustable front arm would be more suited for improving handling than correcting camber - as the front doesn't gain as much camber as the vehicle lowers.

The rear however gains camber at a pretty rapid rate, so to keep the rear tire wear acceptable adjustable arms are a must. -1.9 degrees is way too much!

Thanks Cricket88 for the info. Just had mine done.

IMG_0942.JPG

If given the option, yes I would have gone with SAS just like I did with my S. Having a dynamic ride height gives me a much greater range of flexibility when going in/out of driveways, over speed pumps, letting passengers in/out without scraping the door, etc. it is also much simpler to tweak the static ride height via longer links/brackets etc.

Knowing how Tesla-Time works however, I didn’t want to wait with an unknown uncertainty for SAS to become available and also lose my place in line for the car.

SAS wasn’t as important to me as getting the car while it was available to me, since I figured I’d be able to lower it anyways.

All of the cars I’ve owned have been lowered (not slammed) because to me they just look much better!
AWD version with SAS will arrive early next year. The estimate delivery for my reservation here in Europe is 2019. I want SAS and I hope it will come with smaller tire gap in the rear. According to your experience with model S, do you think this version will have a lower suspension?

AWD version with SAS will arrive early next year. The estimate delivery for my reservation here in Europe is 2019. I want SAS and I hope it will come with smaller tire gap in the rear. According to your experience with model S, do you think this version will have a lower suspension?
SAS on the model s has a low point which is definitely lower than stock suspension so I would expect the same for the model 3.

I was wondering the same thing. That’s what this thread was originally about right?
I stepped out for a couple of reasons. Primarilybecause the prominent vendors in their typical fashion decided to thread jack my original post to promote their own products. This is the downside with forums that don’t properly moderate posts.

But My wife and I also just give birth this month so that’s kept me away from the interwebs as well.

In short, Eibach is in production of the springs and they should be hitting he market in a few months! The prototype springs are still performing as intended and we are very happy with the ride quality and “look” of the car.

I stepped out for a couple of reasons. Primarilybecause the prominent vendors in their typical fashion decided to thread jack my original post to promote their own products. This is the downside with forums that don’t properly moderate posts.

But My wife and I also just give birth this month so that’s kept me away from the interwebs as well.

In short, Eibach is in production of the springs and they should be hitting he market in a few months! The prototype springs are still performing as intended and we are very happy with the ride quality and “look” of the car.

Thanks for the update cricket88! I’m pretty interested in the eibachs as they have a long history and great reputation. On my last car (BMW E90) the eibach pro kit was the preferred spring choice even when combined with coilovers.

I’m particularly curious if they will be the first ones to find the right balance between sporty handling and a not-too-low look. The pro kit for the E90 has a 1” rear, 1.2” front drop which was perfect for that car.

Thanks for the update cricket88! I’m pretty interested in the eibachs as they have a long history and great reputation. On my last car (BMW E90) the eibach pro kit was the preferred spring choice even when combined with coilovers.

I’m particularly curious if they will be the first ones to find the right balance between sporty handling and a not-too-low look. The pro kit for the E90 has a 1” rear, 1.2” front drop which was perfect for that car.
Ditto. I haven't seen the Unplugged mild springs and the moderates look like too much drop. The Eibachs do look perfect.

Reactions: dgaultiere
I actually got a reply in April from the engineer I was working with at Eibach and these are the specs that the final release “pro-kit” should be:

Front springs are Linear and rears are Progressive.

FRONTS:
F11-87-001-01-FA (could be internal product code)
STOCK RATE: 234 LBS/IN
EIBACH RATE: 257 LBS/IN
(Linear)

REARS:
F11-87-001-01-RA
STOCK RATE: 480 LBS/IN
EIBACH RATE: 314 LBSIN – 525LBS/IN

Total drop:
1.2” DROP FRONT AND REAR

THE VEHICLE WAS ABLE TO ALIGN TO OE SPECIFICATIONS

Personal thoughts:
I would bet the TSportline springs are re-branded Eibachs (private labelled).
Sometimes private label customers will submit custom rates per request, but often they’re identical to Eibach branded ones... so why pay more if they’re more expensive?

The Unplugged Performance ones are made by Hyperco.

Hope this information helps those in the market to make their decision!