TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

LR AWD competition-1/4 mile

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by 1.21GW, May 14, 2019 at 7:15 PM.

1. ALSETJC

ALSETJC Member

But none of them do > 100mpg

• Like x 1
  2. Funkmobile

Funkmobile Member

2020 Supra clocked in at 12.5 seconds for a 1/4 mile.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

There's very little difference in power level AWD vs P by the end of the 1/4 (even pre power bump it was only a 1-2 mph difference)

It's the RWD that's WAY lower (like 10 mph)

Pre-power-bump we saw a P running [email protected] (against an AWD) and the AWD hit [email protected]

The RWD in contrast ran 13.6 at 101.9

Post power bump the AWD ran [email protected] source for that below with the draggy data-

M3 AWD LR Non P Vbox run(S)

4. Knightshade

There's very little difference in power level AWD vs P by the end of the 1/4 (even pre power bump it was only a 1-2 mph difference)- nearly all the difference in those cars is in the 0-60 range.

It's the RWD that's WAY lower (like 10 mph)

Pre-power-bump we saw a P running [email protected] (against an AWD) and the AWD hit [email protected]

The RWD in contrast ran 13.6 at 101.9

Post power bump the AWD ran [email protected] source for that below with the draggy data-

M3 AWD LR Non P Vbox run(S)

The 2020 Supra is the very definition of too little WAY too late

5. GregD60

GregD60 Member

That's an impressive time and an interesting thread. I had missed that thread, so thanks for linking it. :)

Reading through the thread, the two guys getting the best times are using all the drag racer tricks to get them, and they may possibly have slightly better than average cars. These factors could easily account for a .2 to .3 second difference in the 1/4 mile versus someone who doesn't do the optimizations, and/or whose car is just off by 2 or 3 percent versus another car.

Here's a few of the interesting comments related to optimizing their times, and sample to sample variation. Please note that these types of issues apply to all cars, and that it is not unusual to have different cars of the same model vary by even more than what we're seeing with the Tesla. I'd say that Teslas are more consistent then most other cars in this regard.

6. Knightshade

Sure, but all the posted times in the 12.5 or slower range for other cars are from professional car testers from car magazines who are doing the same tricks to get those, slower, times- so that's pretty apples to apples.

7. GregD60

GregD60 Member

#27 GregD60, May 16, 2019 at 9:50 AM
    Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 10:03 AM
    In my experience, there's not a great deal of consistency in this regard when it comes to car magazines. Generally, they test the cars as delivered to them by the manufacturers. Lowering tire inflation pressures by say 10 PSI, or ensuring that the gas tank only has the minimum necessary amount of fuel in it, is not the type of thing they would usually do, yet it can make a difference. For instance, Car and Driver shows a 13.3 1/4 mile for a last generation 340i, yet here's a guy on Bimmerfest who got it to do a 12.8 stock.
    2016 BMW 340i Test – Review – Car and Driver
    2016 340i 1/4 mile times - Time Slips
    Then he put a tune on it, and it ran 12.3.
    2016 340i 1/4 mile times - Time Slips
    The tune costs $529.
    B38 B46 B48 B58 JB4 | BurgerTuning.com

It would be nice if we could get a "tune" for our LR AWD cars. Imagine getting into the 11s for under $1000. Wishful thinking I'm afraid. :)

8. Knightshade

The "tune" for a LR AWD would just be the software unlock to make it a P3D- instead since that's the only actual difference....

But it's unlikely if they ever sell it at all it'd be less than 6k (which was in the end the net price difference between the two versions)

9. phantasms

phantasms Member

As someone who used to be a journalist, often they are not getting the most out of the cars and have no idea what they're doing. Believe it or not, a lot of auto journalists aren't terribly good drivers, but others are. That said, these cars are very easy to launch and there's not much to prep these cars for a run. We're not lowering tire pressure or getting the exact amount of fuel to make it light but not pull power. All one needs to do is full charge, remove any heavy items, go alone, drive a bit to warm it up and then test away.

Also, [put tinfoil hat on] there is a TON of money that goes from auto manufactures to the magazines. Many of the prizes are paid for [huge advertising deals, etc]. I'd bet my life Elon isn't ever giving a dime to the magazines.

My AWD is fast, but I genuinely don't think it's faster than anyone other AWD. All my Z06's and other sports cars always ended up being a little faster at the track. I'm lucky but I'm pretty sure it's not luck at play here. lol

Best,
    Gene