Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD delivered w/ suboptimal quality: return or keep?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks everyone for the feedback. I have made a service appointment to get some of these things fixed.
timing is not good. i can't get an appointment until next monday, likely due to the covid19 situation.
it's likely i won't be able to get things fixed within the 7-day return window.

I feel better since most people seem to believe tesla service would follow through and have things fixed as much as they can.
In that case I will just keep the car, and hope service fix the problems over time.

Reactions: Electric Steve
I remember thinking about the quality of work being done when Elon was having the factory staffed/cars built while being told to "shut it down" by the city and practically everyone else. The workers were getting mixed messages and were no doubt under a lot of stress to push cars out before the place got padlocked. Now we see what they pushed out....
Imagine if any other automaker made/delivered a $54K vehicle in this condition!

I remember thinking about the quality of work being done when Elon was having the factory staffed/cars built while being told to "shut it down" by the city and practically everyone else. The workers were getting mixed messages and were no doubt under a lot of stress to push cars out before the place got padlocked. Now we see what they pushed out....
Imagine if any other automaker made/delivered a $54K vehicle in this condition!
True, but we are also the people that buy on the bleeding edge. There has to be some inherent appetite on our part for risk or we wouldn't be considering a Tesla (let alone a Y!).

Today (Apr 8) I got my LR AWD (no FSD) white model Y 20'' delivered in Fremont California.

unfortunately, there are quite a few things that are not perfect.

It's a Tesla. Is to be expected. I knew that going in. They don't make perfect cars. You can look at 100 of them and there will be issues.

Some of that you can get taken care of though and quite quickly.

You should have had delivery center take photos and add to your account while there. Put in service requests for everything and see what they will agree to.

Something things you'll just have to accept or more on to a different make. Car is too much fun for me so I put up with what they won't fix. Besides I'll trade, prob for a Y in 4+ years anyway. Hopefully quality, and customer service will have improved by then.

thanks everyone for the feedback. I have made a service appointment to get some of these things fixed.
timing is not good. i can't get an appointment until next monday, likely due to the covid19 situation.
it's likely i won't be able to get things fixed within the 7-day return window.

I feel better since most people seem to believe tesla service would follow through and have things fixed as much as they can.
In that case I will just keep the car, and hope service fix the problems over time.

Body panels can be swapped at your house by mobile service. FYI. Mobile is available much sooner than service in my area and in my cases I've gotten calls days before date saying we're in your area and are ahead of schedule with appts.

I would return it. Even though a lot of this is cosmetic and could be fixed who knows how much stuff that you cannot see isn’t correct. It is a little disconcerting how the quality seems to be all over the board.

Given how much has already been documented and especially if there is more hidden and more major this might eventually qualify as a lemon and could be bought back or traded for another one.

Given how much has already been documented and especially if there is more hidden and more major this might eventually qualify as a lemon and could be bought back or traded for another one.

Possibly, but not likely. I think it would depend on if those item would "substantially reduce the vehicle’s value" since almost all of them are just cosmetic issues.

Threads like these make me think I should delay any delivery for a decent chunk of time following the anticipated May reopen of Fremont.
Took delivery of my Y 28XX VIN today. No issues with panel gaps, paint or interior issues with the exception of tool marks on my door hinges, all four doors. They are going to send me touch-up paint to cover-up the bare metal.

Attachments

• IMG_20200409_105712.jpg
    IMG_20200409_105712.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20200409_105707.jpg
    IMG_20200409_105707.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 92
Took delivery of my Y 28XX VIN today. No issues with panel gaps, paint or interior issues with the exception of tool marks on my door hinges, all four doors. They are going to send me touch-up paint to cover-up the bare metal.
My Y (22XX VIN) apparently apparently had similar issues. It is in this week for other typical Y issues (rear seats, misaligned door, not flush rear window, paint, etc.). Tesla Service actually messaged me that they noticed this issue and are going to repaint the hinges (not something I even noticed or documented). It might be worth asking if they will repaint or at least touch them up for you if you have any other service needs.