Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD with AP or SR+ with FSD

LR AWD w/ AP or SR+ with FSD

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok if you’re gonna get rid of the SR+ on 3 months then definitely go with SR+. For myself I keep cars for a long time and went with highest range.

Okay so if I get an SR+ with AP white its $42,200
LR RWD with AP white its $50,200
LR AWD with AP white its $52,200

I understand range is king... however we don't really drive out of town (100+ miles) more than 3-5 times a year.

We plan on having kids in the next 2-3 years so I most likely will want to get a Model Y 2021-2022 which I would definitely shoot for Long Range Y.

My thoughts are is the $8-10k more for LR RWD or LR AWD worth the extra .5-.7 in speed and additional 60-80miles of range? I think financially I could save those 8-10k I would spend on the Model 3 and put it towards a Long Range Model Y in 2-3 years. Basically use the SR + as our first step into electrification getting the color we want and since we don't technically drive far distances much...would I really notice a big difference, only thing I see as losing out on is rear heated seats, how is the audio, is it really noticeably different than the Premium?

As a new owner on the FSD trial, I predict you'll buy FSD at some point. Whether or not you get it now, you'll want it. You can afford it, seeing the prices of these cars. The question is simply whether you're getting it pre delivery, or post delivery and paying more. You're going to want it.

Thanks for all the feedback. In the same boat debating between SR+ w/ FSD vs. LR RWD w/ AP. Really want to keep things around 50 and preferably not over. Consensus seems to be LR RWD. There is currently a LR RWD with blue ext/white int in inventory that is very tempting

Okay so if I get an SR+ with AP white its $42,200
LR RWD with AP white its $50,200
LR AWD with AP white its $52,200

I understand range is king... however we don't really drive out of town (100+ miles) more than 3-5 times a year.

We plan on having kids in the next 2-3 years so I most likely will want to get a Model Y 2021-2022 which I would definitely shoot for Long Range Y.

My thoughts are is the $8-10k more for LR RWD or LR AWD worth the extra .5-.7 in speed and additional 60-80miles of range? I think financially I could save those 8-10k I would spend on the Model 3 and put it towards a Long Range Model Y in 2-3 years. Basically use the SR + as our first step into electrification getting the color we want and since we don't technically drive far distances much...would I really notice a big difference, only thing I see as losing out on is rear heated seats, how is the audio, is it really noticeably different than the Premium?

Here are my thoughts for you, along with some of my personal history to give you perspective and since you are new to EV's: We have owned a Nissan Leaf for 3 years and now a Chevy Bolt for about 15 months. Family of 4, young kids. EV was originally for wife to commute to work, her distance was about 35 miles each way. So with the initial leaf around 95 miles of range it just covered it. We are in California, Bay Area, so there was always a charger within 10-20 miles and 2 fast chargers on her route to work, one at the mall and one at Whole Foods. I also set up a high capacity 240v charger at home. Leaf was great. When lease was up, new leaf's were not available, nor was the model 3. So we got a bolt. About 2 months later my wife went to 90% work form home and I went from a 7 mile commute to a 110 mile commute round trip. My bolt has been great. It gets about 220 miles per charge. I can just about make it 2 round trips to and form work on a charge, but usually it's more like 1.5 and then some charging at work. However, I charge every night and can easily drive to and from work, 110 miles a day and then some if needed without worry and charge to 100% over night no problem. My point is that even with a 110 mile daily commute, 200 miles of range would be plenty.

I'm getting a Model 3 in June because I want the autopilot for my commute, also my Bolt is a lease and I'll have exhausted the 30,000 lease miles in about 6 more months and then it will cost me $8k in millage overages when I turn it in. So for me, I'd much rather spend that $8k on a Model 3. Now: I don't "need" LR either. I could easily get by with a Standard+ charging every night. However, for us, since I'll be trading in our Buick Enclave for the Tesla, we need something that can do distance for the hand full of times we do family trips. We go to either Shasta to visit family, or may go to Disneyland (though we usually fly). So since I'll have a Model 3 and wife will have Bolt, we need the LR. Then, because I can, and I'm a car guy and haven't had a fun car for 8 years, I'm going to spring for the performance version. Which is a total frivolous expense, but I can afford it and I want something fun for my 15+ hours in a car per week commuting.

If I were you and you do not NEED the long range, and this is your first EV and you are thinking about kids in the future and you are being budget mindful, I would say just go with the Standard +. I might spring for the upgraded interior, personally I feel the black is too dark, especially when it is dark outside or at night. I would say FSD is a toss up as well. Currently as far as I can understand, the only thing that the $5000 gets you beyond the now included EAP is navigate on auto pilot, auto lane changes, self parking and summon. Unless you are doing long trips or a crazy commute, I don't think any of those features are anything anyone "needs". It may effect the resale of the car if you plan to swap it for a Model Y but that $5,000 isn't going to be doing much for you over the next year and, if you are budget tight, that money might be better used elsewhere. Also, in 2-3 years there will be a bunch of Model X's for around 50K and they will be loaded. Last I looked there was a loaded LR Model X 2016 for $62k (about what my Performance trim Model 3 is going to cost me). That is also our long term plan, that when the lease on the Bolt is up we will get the Wife a Model X and use that for family trips.

Unless you plan to do some massive road trips, I don't think you need LR at all. I assume you have a second car? That was also when we have had the past 5 years. 1 EV for commuting and a long range ICE family car. Heck you could even look at older model S cars. I've seen some for $34k. They don't have FSD, but you can find some under $50k with AP. This might be an option since you don't plan to keep your Model 3 for a super long time.

If you need storage space and large trunk and don't care about range a used S might be ok. Tons of AP1 cars under 36k with low miles on ev-cpo.

Here's one with free supercharging and low miles:
60 kWh Model S 5YJSA1S12EFP53717 | Tesla

I like the 3 more compared to a S and think the LR is the best if you plan to use it as a primary family car. If it's a secondary car go for the SR+. The stereo is nice in the full premium package. Another tip is wait till the end of quarter and you might find AWD LR cars from 2-8k discounts in inventory, at least that's the discounts given last quarter. P3D was up to 13k off MSRP for demo cars.

If you need storage space and large trunk and don't care about range a used S might be ok. Tons of AP1 cars under 36k with low miles on ev-cpo.

Here's one with free supercharging and low miles:
60 kWh Model S 5YJSA1S12EFP53717 | Tesla

I like the 3 more compared to a S and think the LR is the best if you plan to use it as a primary family car. If it's a secondary car go for the SR+. The stereo is nice in the full premium package. Another tip is wait till the end of quarter and you might find AWD LR cars from 2-8k discounts in inventory, at least that's the discounts given last quarter. P3D was up to 13k off MSRP for demo cars.

I agree with most of you I think we are gearing for the SR+ because I don't really see needing the extra range and the extra 7-8 grand ...for maybe 3-4 yearly trips that consist of 200-400 miles of driving. My commute to work is 12 miles round trip. My wife has a Honda Civic that she's paid off .she tells me she can trade it in for a larger car if I want to just keep a Model 3...I am thinking I'd rather her keep her paid off Civic it's only got 55k miles and it's a car that'll go another 200k miles. So I'm thinking get a model 3 for 2-3 years and then a Y for when we have kids. In this case the SR makes sense I think cause we hardly drive out of town ..only like 3-4 times a year to see friends ..we own a converted schoolbus RV which is what we drive far distances when we go camping etc.

I sort of don't think the extra 80 miles of range is worth 8grand if all I'm doing is driving out of town maybe 4 times ..hell even if I were making a monthly trip somewhere the extra 1 or 2 super charger stops wouldn't bother me much...however I wonder how depreciation will hit an SR+ in 2-3 years...also I really want to see if the audio is really bad compared to the premium package audio... I really like audio... :/

Also is the 4.5 0-60 or 5.3 0-60 that noticeable...I really enjoyed the AWD I test drove :/

I wish the standard plus came with premium interior for another 2-3 grand wonder if there's any mid ranges still available at some stores :/ those sold for 41k without AP..so they could sell for 43-44k with AP if Tesla still had the.

I agree with most of you I think we are gearing for the SR+ because I don't really see needing the extra range and the extra 7-8 grand ...for maybe 3-4 yearly trips that consist of 200-400 miles of driving. My commute to work is 12 miles round trip.

With a 12 mile commute I would order a $35K SR. You won’t get much value from AP unless you plan on doing a lot of highway driving. Think twice about ordering it unless you really think you are going to use it a lot. We have one M3 with AP/FSD and one M3 with neither and I don’t regret saving $8K on the one that doesn’t have it. We hardly drive on the highways and rarely use AP.

I agree with most of you I think we are gearing for the SR+ because I don't really see needing the extra range and the extra 7-8 grand ...for maybe 3-4 yearly trips that consist of 200-400 miles of driving. My commute to work is 12 miles round trip. My wife has a Honda Civic that she's paid off .she tells me she can trade it in for a larger car if I want to just keep a Model 3...I am thinking I'd rather her keep her paid off Civic it's only got 55k miles and it's a car that'll go another 200k miles. So I'm thinking get a model 3 for 2-3 years and then a Y for when we have kids. In this case the SR makes sense I think cause we hardly drive out of town ..only like 3-4 times a year to see friends ..we own a converted schoolbus RV which is what we drive far distances when we go camping etc.

I sort of don't think the extra 80 miles of range is worth 8grand if all I'm doing is driving out of town maybe 4 times ..hell even if I were making a monthly trip somewhere the extra 1 or 2 super charger stops wouldn't bother me much...however I wonder how depreciation will hit an SR+ in 2-3 years...also I really want to see if the audio is really bad compared to the premium package audio... I really like audio... :/

Also is the 4.5 0-60 or 5.3 0-60 that noticeable...I really enjoyed the AWD I test drove :/

I wish the standard plus came with premium interior for another 2-3 grand wonder if there's any mid ranges still available at some stores :/ those sold for 41k without AP..so they could sell for 43-44k with AP if Tesla still had the.

SR and SR+ are competitive with Nissan Leaf and Chevy Bolt. Features and performance are all about the same. So you have to put your head in that space. The LR AWD and P3D are up in the BMW M3, Audi A4, Mercedes AMG CL class of car. So consider what level of car is comfortable for you. If you only plan to keep the car a few years a lease might better suit you. Or you may want to look at a used Model S for $35k-$45k. Then save for the Model Y.

If your commute is so short I doubt you’ll get much value out of any of the autopilot features. Elon says the cars will become worth more in the future with autopilot on them but I find that really hard to believe. Computers are not worth more and we’ve seen Tesla go through 3 hardware revs in less than 2 years. In 2-3 years from now they will easily be able to double or triple the sensors, have 4K or higher cameras and the hardware will have increased exponentially. The old hardware 3 isn’t going to be worth more than what we pay for it today 2 years from now.

Reactions: Rawlings2019
SR and SR+ are competitive with Nissan Leaf and Chevy Bolt. Features and performance are all about the same. So you have to put your head in that space. The LR AWD and P3D are up in the BMW M3, Audi A4, Mercedes AMG CL class of car. So consider what level of car is comfortable for you. If you only plan to keep the car a few years a lease might better suit you. Or you may want to look at a used Model S for $35k-$45k. Then save for the Model Y.

If your commute is so short I doubt you’ll get much value out of any of the autopilot features. Elon says the cars will become worth more in the future with autopilot on them but I find that really hard to believe. Computers are not worth more and we’ve seen Tesla go through 3 hardware revs in less than 2 years. In 2-3 years from now they will easily be able to double or triple the sensors, have 4K or higher cameras and the hardware will have increased exponentially. The old hardware 3 isn’t going to be worth more than what we pay for it today 2 years from now.

Idk if I would put an SR+ in the second category as a leaf or bolt. Maybe in terms of range but even with partial premium it's much better quality and it is still a much more attractive luxury looking vehicle. In terms of performance I think the SR+ is still much faster than a leaf or bolt. Yeah I'm gonna go test drive an SR+ on Wednesday and compare with with an LR Rwd and AWD and the sound system. They all come with AP standard now so it'll be nice for adaptive cruise control, and yeah the fsd I may not fully use if my commute is only 12 miles though those 12 miles are pretty much highway and it be nice if it did everything from on ramp to off ramp but for 5k more mmmm idk...and 8k more for 80 more miles of range that's what puts me off a bit...very unlikely the 3-4 trips I do a year justify the extra money for extra range. :/

Reactions: EVMeister
Idk if I would put an SR+ in the second category as a leaf or bolt. Maybe in terms of range but even with partial premium it's much better quality and it is still a much more attractive luxury looking vehicle. In terms of performance I think the SR+ is still much faster than a leaf or bolt. Yeah I'm gonna go test drive an SR+ on Wednesday and compare with with an LR Rwd and AWD and the sound system. They all come with AP standard now so it'll be nice for adaptive cruise control, and yeah the fsd I may not fully use if my commute is only 12 miles though those 12 miles are pretty much highway and it be nice if it did everything from on ramp to off ramp but for 5k more mmmm idk...and 8k more for 80 more miles of range that's what puts me off a bit...very unlikely the 3-4 trips I do a year justify the extra money for extra range. :/
If you test drive you’ll want the AWD. ;)

If you test drive you’ll want the AWD. ;)

Okay guys after much thought and careful planning. I went back to Tesla, I test drove both dual motor Model 3 and a Standard Range Plus.

I could not find much difference between both cars off the line, I would probably only notice the difference if I had an SR+ and a Dual Motor stopped next to me and wanted to drag race. The acceleration on both cars from 30-40mph to 60mph was definitely amazing and I didn't feel much difference between both that I would justify a 8k bump for a RWD or 10k bump for a dual motor. I do understand that AWD is better than RWD in slippery situation but I live in St Louis area where we don't get much snow and when we do the cities pretty much shut down and no one works and I wouldn't have to be driving in those situation as opposed to people who do so on a regular basis in Colorado.

I am highly considering getting a Y in 2021-2022. So I would keep the model 3 for 2-3 years. I usually change cars every 3-5 years. So spending additional 8-10 grand for long range and back seat heaters is not a huge concern for me because my work is 7 miles from home and I coach soccer 5 miles away twice a week. I average about 14-16k miles per year. Most of which is all short less than 40 miles per day of driving. I am coming from a lease and I averaged 30-40 miles per day and some weekends longer. I do maybe 3-4 long trips per year from STL to KC, Chicago, Nashiville area..and based on better ev routes its about 45min additional roundtrip times from an SR+ to Long range...so is the 45 minutes less on 3-4 trips per year worth the extra 8-10grand?? I think not. Do I want an AWD YES...do I need it NO. Do I want the back seat warmers yes...do I need it..NO I have no kids and my dog doesn't need seat heaters..hes a GOLDEN DOODLE and is warm enough with his fur lol. Do I need live traffic view...not really the map still uses traffic data to choose route even if you don't see the reds and greens etc.

EDIT: Also I blared the music on both the LR and SR+ and I could not hear much difference except on song with deep base....and only when I had the music literally blaring!! Both premium and partial premium is much better than my Lincoln MKC audio system so... again a win for the SR+

At this point I am going to go ahead and save the 8-10grand and opt for the SR+ White on White. However I might do SR+ White on Black interior with FSD. I will still spend much less than having gotten a comparable LR RWD or AWD. I will make a decision on FSD this week. I plan to put my order middle May so that I can get the car first week of June when I return my lease. Hopefully between now and then there are some sales!! lol

Edit: I plan on saving the 8-10k difference or 3-4k difference (if I get FSD) and adding it to a model Y downpayment fund instead haha

Last edited:
Okay guys after much thought and careful planning. I went back to Tesla, I test drove both dual motor Model 3 and a Standard Range Plus.

I could not find much difference between both cars off the line, I would probably only notice the difference if I had an SR+ and a Dual Motor stopped next to me and wanted to drag race. The acceleration on both cars from 30-40mph to 60mph was definitely amazing and I didn't feel much difference between both that I would justify a 8k bump for a RWD or 10k bump for a dual motor. I do understand that AWD is better than RWD in slippery situation but I live in St Louis area where we don't get much snow and when we do the cities pretty much shut down and no one works and I wouldn't have to be driving in those situation as opposed to people who do so on a regular basis in Colorado.

I am highly considering getting a Y in 2021-2022. So I would keep the model 3 for 2-3 years. I usually change cars every 3-5 years. So spending additional 8-10 grand for long range and back seat heaters is not a huge concern for me because my work is 7 miles from home and I coach soccer 5 miles away twice a week. I average about 14-16k miles per year. Most of which is all short less than 40 miles per day of driving. I am coming from a lease and I averaged 30-40 miles per day and some weekends longer. I do maybe 3-4 long trips per year from STL to KC, Chicago, Nashiville area..and based on better ev routes its about 45min additional roundtrip times from an SR+ to Long range...so is the 45 minutes less on 3-4 trips per year worth the extra 8-10grand?? I think not. Do I want an AWD YES...do I need it NO. Do I want the back seat warmers yes...do I need it..NO I have no kids and my dog doesn't need seat heaters..hes a GOLDEN DOODLE and is warm enough with his fur lol. Do I need live traffic view...not really the map still uses traffic data to choose route even if you don't see the reds and greens etc.

EDIT: Also I blared the music on both the LR and SR+ and I could not hear much difference except on song with deep base....and only when I had the music literally blaring!! Both premium and partial premium is much better than my Lincoln MKC audio system so... again a win for the SR+

At this point I am going to go ahead and save the 8-10grand and opt for the SR+ White on White. However I might do SR+ White on Black interior with FSD. I will still spend much less than having gotten a comparable LR RWD or AWD. I will make a decision on FSD this week. I plan to put my order middle May so that I can get the car first week of June when I return my lease. Hopefully between now and then there are some sales!! lol

Edit: I plan on saving the 8-10k difference or 3-4k difference (if I get FSD) and adding it to a model Y downpayment fund instead haha

I think you have a solid plan and is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

If you are considering FSD, know that the price will go up $1000-$2000 more on May 10th. I still think it's a toss up as to getting it or not. Maybe it will make your car hold more value in the long run, maybe not.

I think you have a solid plan and is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

If you are considering FSD, know that the price will go up $1000-$2000 more on May 10th. I still think it's a toss up as to getting it or not. Maybe it will make your car hold more value in the long run, maybe not.

Do we have any information as to what this means...Its hard to believe that AP which has a value of $2000 will go up..thus making current vehicle prices go up...and if they raise FSD.... thats a huge premium over the huge $5k premium... like if they raise it to 7k..and 9k post delivery who on earth would pay that I am having trouble understanding paying 5k for something thats not even capable yet...image 7-9k...

I personally think he might introduce a middle AP product..so all cars come with AP (Autosteer, breaking) and he will bring back EAP for additional 2-3k which includes Navigate on Auto Pilot and Basic summon and Auto Park. Then he will add FSD for 3k on top of that for City driving, street lights, stop signs and full Summon. Of course he can't do this until all these features are released....

Do we have any information as to what this means...Its hard to believe that AP which has a value of $2000 will go up..thus making current vehicle prices go up...and if they raise FSD.... thats a huge premium over the huge $5k premium... like if they raise it to 7k..and 9k post delivery who on earth would pay that I am having trouble understanding paying 5k for something thats not even capable yet...image 7-9k...

I personally think he might introduce a middle AP product..so all cars come with AP (Autosteer, breaking) and he will bring back EAP for additional 2-3k which includes Navigate on Auto Pilot and Basic summon and Auto Park. Then he will add FSD for 3k on top of that for City driving, street lights, stop signs and full Summon. Of course he can't do this until all these features are released....

I ordered my car on the 1st. Rep at Tesla dealer said they were told price on FSD goes up $1,000-$2,000 May 10th. So from $5k currently to $6 or $7k. EAP stays same as free included on car.

Great information. I too was having the exact same dilemma. Finally yesterday in Canada the $5k EV incentive became valid for SR+ so I ordered that. Your info about the acceleration and audio really was useful in validating the decision.

Reactions: bshap73
BUMP

I’m looking to pickup my M3SR+ before the end of June. With the $2k price drop across the board would it make sense to buy the bigger battery M3LR AWD or should I put that same money into a M3SR+ w/FSD since we were told FSD pricing increases after July 1.

Minor improvements in FSD since this original post but curious about OPs decision and thoughts from everyone.

I live in New England and the Tesla SA said I should put the money into FSD instead of AWD which I thought was interesting. He said in the next few weeks there are big things coming (isn’t that always the rumor though?). He drives a M3SR+ RWD and has had no issues driving in his all-season tires throughout winter so far if you drive smart.

Thoughts?

BUMP

I’m looking to pickup my M3SR+ before the end of June. With the $2k price drop across the board would it make sense to buy the bigger battery M3LR AWD or should I put that same money into a M3SR+ w/FSD since we were told FSD pricing increases after July 1.

Minor improvements in FSD since this original post but curious about OPs decision and thoughts from everyone.

I live in New England and the Tesla SA said I should put the money into FSD instead of AWD which I thought was interesting. He said in the next few weeks there are big things coming (isn’t that always the rumor though?). He drives a M3SR+ RWD and has had no issues driving in his all-season tires throughout winter so far if you drive smart.

Thoughts?
Don’t bother with FSD. I didn’t. I got the AWD. It comes with Autopilot. All I need. I had FSD on my trade in 3 LR RWD. And never used it. Buy something that’s real, not promised. Just my 2 cents. Not sure your SA is making any sense. My SA at Dedham said not to bother. Not worth it.