Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD with FSD vs Performance with PUP vs Performance Stealth with 20’’ induction wheels

If you were to buy the Model Y today, which customization would you choose?

• LR AWD - with FSD

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Performance with PUP - no FSD

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Performance with 20’’ induction wheels - no PUP/no FSD

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve recently reserved a LR AWD Model Y with FSD, however I am not a fan of the Gemini tires. I had been considering upgrading to the Performance package now that they include the 20’’ induction wheels. It seems like this might be a way for Tesla to make more money though on the Performance vs people upgrading to the PUP, however I’d prefer the higher range from the induction wheels. I live in Texas, so the all season tires aren’t really necessary, but I’d prefer a tire with less maintenance vs the 21’’.

I know this type of question has been asked before, but wondering if any Model Y owners who’ve had the performance or LR AWD can chime in and give me your opinion. Would you have upgraded to Performance stealth if the inductions were included when you order? If you ordered FSD and Performance, is there one option you would tell people to choose over the other?

Thanks everyone,
Soon to be first time Tesla owner

Love our Inductions. Even if they had been offered with the P when we ordered most likely would have still stuck with the AWD. We ‘upgraded’ to 19s on our order, which subsequently became the 20s and they’re awesome.

It’s still crazy fast enough in “just” AWD guise and we’rewe wound up with a 980 motor as well. The AWD is plenty planted and firm, suspension and steering wise too. We have a real sports car to scratch the itch when needed. The P is amazing, but not necessary for us.

Good luck!

ß

Reactions: frankvb
I don't have my car yet, but I ordered the Performance non PuP because I wanted the quickest Model Y I could get, but didn't want the large 21 inch wheels and their associated the range hit/low profile (lots of pot holes around me), or the lower suspension. I went performance over AWD simply because I know I would always ask "what if" if I didn't get the absolute quickest one I could get, and would probably end up wanting the Performance at some point and then not loving my AWD as much. That's just the way I am. If you aren't like that, then I'd say the AWD is absolutely quick enough. Also, my current car has a 0-60 of 4.6ish and even though I know the instant torque make it feel even quicker, I wanted to ensure I was stepping forward in terms of acceleration and not staying kind of the same.

If I could have gotten the performance non pup with the inductions for the same cost instead of the Gemini's I would have.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Appreciate the input! Any thoughts on the FSD?

I don't have my car yet, but I ordered the Performance non PuP because I wanted the quickest Model Y I could get, but didn't want the large 21 inch wheels and their associated the range hit/low profile (lots of pot holes around me), or the lower suspension. I went performance over AWD simply because I know I would always ask "what if" if I didn't get the absolute quickest one I could get, and would probably end up wanting the Performance at some point and then not loving my AWD as much. That's just the way I am. If you aren't like that, then I'd say the AWD is absolutely quick enough. Also, my current car has a 0-60 of 4.6ish and even though I know the instant torque make it feel even quicker, I wanted to ensure I was stepping forward in terms of acceleration and not staying kind of the same.

If I could have gotten the performance non pup with the inductions for the same cost instead of the Gemini's I would have.

Appreciate the input! My last car was a 2011 Prius so I think the acceleration will be fine for me but I’m also worried I’ll regret not going to P and I do like the rims better than the Gemini. Any thoughts on the FSD?

Love our Inductions. Even if they had been offered with the P when we ordered most likely would have still stuck with the AWD. We ‘upgraded’ to 19s on our order, which subsequently became the 20s and they’re awesome.

It’s still crazy fast enough in “just” AWD guise and we’rewe wound up with a 980 motor as well. The AWD is plenty planted and firm, suspension and steering wise too. We have a real sports car to scratch the itch when needed. The P is amazing, but not necessary for us.

Good luck!

ß

Appreciate the input! Any thoughts on the FSD?

Oh yes, sorry I forgot about that. I originally wanted FSD, but when I realized I could step up to the Performance for almost the same prices as the LR AWD without FSD, I convinced myself that was the path for me. So originally it was a "good" financial decision that I convinced myself of to swap FSD for Performance. I can always upgrade to FSD at anytime, I can't upgrade to the Performance model (sure there might be a boost at some point, but it wont be the same as the performance model).

Then my Tesla stock started doing very well, and I said hey why the hell not, I'll just throw on FSD pretty much right after I take delivery and not have to worry about it being baked into my financing. Now, I'm not so sure again. I really don't think it is worth the $7k for very minimal useful features that regular autopilot doesn't already give me, but I do feel the pressure of that price increase coming and I don't want to regret not getting it at 7k. Obviously this is exactly their intention of raising the price. At this moment, I'm thinking I will pass on it. If I invest the money now, it will most likely grow to accommodate any price increases in the future if I ever decide to pull the trigger on it.

Reactions: howlz
Appreciate the input! My last car was a 2011 Prius so I think the acceleration will be fine for me but I’m also worried I’ll regret not going to P and I do like the rims better than the Gemini. Any thoughts on the FSD?

I really enjoy all the Auto Cruise Control and Auto Steer capability so far. Couple of updates since we’ve taken receipt and they’ve improved each time. Once we get it to be able to drive on city streets, a big hurdle, it will be undeniable. So many folks here talking smack about how it will never happen, but honestly the package now is amazing for highway travel. Once it does it for normal roads, the future has arrived... Clearly I think it’s worth the price, and we were in at 6k.

ß

Reactions: howlz
Thanks for the input! That really helps. I love this place, it's so nice to hear from other people as obsessed with Tesla as I am. I think my family is glad I have another outlet so I stop debating about which color or model I'm going to get. I've finally decided I'm going to go for the stealth Performance with the 20'' in wheels in white and keep the FSD for now.
FullSizeRender-1.jpeg

I figure I'll have at least a few weeks before I get a VIN to update that. I think I too would have too much FOMO about not getting the Performance. Since I preferred the induction wheels and now they're included with Performance without the PUP it's an easy decision. I love the way it looks with the white exterior, but my original choice was MSM. I always have grey/black cars, and I'm in Texas, so I thought I'd see what having a white car was all about! Feel like the white/black has a space age feel. Also the MSM really reminded me of my last car, the 2011 Prius. The Model Y is obviously much better looking, I just felt like I needed to branch out this time.

Anyway, I'm beyond excited! Thanks again for everyone's input.. hope this helps someone else out with the same decision.

Reactions: empiredown
I got an Y pup with the 21" wheels, My cents 2 cents here, but I recommend go with AWD 20" or 19", or a Stealth if you "must" have speed.
PUP top end speed is realistically not used often so there not that much benefit IMO. There's no launch mode, for me acceleration is not that great. I came from a 3 LR RWD and not that impressed compared to an AWD, so it's meh without launch or something. Hence the quipe about launch mode. I don't think PUP will get a track mode since it's an "SUV", safety and what not, so that's why the Y stealth is also meh, on 3 its different since you get track mode too, you could add your suspension wheels and brake upgrades of choose and drive on, Y doesn't and I don't think I'll get it.

Then theres the loss of range due to the wheels, 35 miles is 35 miles. Additionally you will feel their extra weight of the 21"s.

One additional quipe about the the wheels, it's rims pretrudes out hence they are a curb rash magnet. Beware! Just paid a pretty penny to fix one of them( my OCD). They are beautiful, but in overall I should have gone with my gut and gotten the AWD or even the stealth. But it was sudden opportunity to get one early, so I got it. Vin 817
That being said if anyone wants a set in good condition with less than 1500 miles let me know. Will trade for 20"s. I'll meet you anywhere in Florida.

Attachments

• 5FE0A944-F615-427B-88B2-A5602449D82D.jpeg
    5FE0A944-F615-427B-88B2-A5602449D82D.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

I really enjoy all the Auto Cruise Control and Auto Steer capability so far. Couple of updates since we’ve taken receipt and they’ve improved each time. Once we get it to be able to drive on city streets, a big hurdle, it will be undeniable. So many folks here talking smack about how it will never happen, but honestly the package now is amazing for highway travel. Once it does it for normal roads, the future has arrived... Clearly I think it’s worth the price, and we were in at 6k.

ß

Just curious, you site the Auto Cruise Control and Auto Steer capability as things you like. Those are available with the included Auto pilot. Is there anything specifically about Full Self Driving currently that you think warrants the purchase now that you have it?

Just curious, you site the Auto Cruise Control and Auto Steer capability as things you like. Those are available with the included Auto pilot. Is there anything specifically about Full Self Driving currently that you think warrants the purchase now that you have it?
Adaptive cruise control and Autosteer are the best part of the Autopilot package on the car and even when you had to pay for it, that was well worth it. FSD is another story, I had FSD on my 3 and opted not to get for the Y. To this date, it could not reliably get out of my garage, failed 7/10 times, auto park failed constantly due to the way it’s currently implemented could not detect parking spots reliably etc... Summon is limited and it’s not worth the liability. It cannot really see what’s going on, reliably or intelligently enough, so the car will try to do its best but humans around it will not. So you rarely use because do you want to risk your 52/62k vehicle? The red light braking is again currently in its infancy, but to date this is the only feature that would make it practical to get FSD if you’re worried for safety, it might end up as part of the safety system as some FSD items did cross to autopilot. Yes it will get better, eventually, this year no, next year not likely. If you have the 7K and or financially stable, go for it if you like to experiment. But if you’re just going for it’s future promises I don’t recommend it to my friend and family, by the time it’s really there, you’ll probably sell or trade in the car or something, and guess what you cannot transfer it. So do some research to see what it can do currently and it’s gonna do and see if it’s worth it to you. Autopilot is great by itself and best implementation Of A driver assistance system, I’ve owned. But FSD was not worth it, again IMO. BTW I had to pay back when, autopilot AND FSD were 2 different software options, so I already went through it and can put out and opinion of it and yes I had HW3. Feel free to ask questions. Also keep in mind there will be a subscription service for FSD “sometime in the future “ so you’ll have other options. July 1 price increase to 8k. But keep in mind that’s just a push to get some q2 profits to try to keep the qtr numbers pretty.

There is no FSD currently, so no. The bits that are enhanced with the FSD in Autopilot such as Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control and Summon are still very much Beta, and it shows. But once it is established it will be awesome. I have no doubt. When you are in the car and it can see and react to things you can’t, such as lights or signs, and you can feel it evaluating and taking the correct action, it’s a game changer. It just frees us up to focus differently and remain safe. I really love that.

ß

Gotcha, so you would say FSD for the latest stop sign/traffic light additions as the main value of the package over the standard auto pilot then.

Sure. Right now. But when it does on surface streets what it does on highways, then it will be worth more than we paid and more (IMO) what they are asking, even come 1 July increase... And that’s coming, I have no doubt. I say that because that will still be implemented with a human in the driver seat...

ß

I have a pup with 21 inch wheels...

I love it but also think i would have been just as happy with the non performance with the 20 inch wheels

I have only hit the pedal all the way 3 times since getting the car... i guarantee i am normally driving slower then even the lr awd

I say go with non performance and save the money... FSD..I’m sure will have some good working functionality soon..but you could always add it later

Reactions: mac9899