Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR non-PUP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any predictions on when the LR non-PUP car will be released? Currently I want the SR w/PUP, but I think that will only be available with the half tax credit. Therefore if LR non-pup is available when the full tax credit is still available it would only cost me a few hundred dollars extra. That would be much easier to justify vs. the price difference with the 1st production model.

Any predictions on when the LR non-PUP car will be released? Currently I want the SR w/PUP, but I think that will only be available with the half tax credit. Therefore if LR non-pup is available when the full tax credit is still available it would only cost me a few hundred dollars extra. That would be much easier to justify vs. the price difference with the 1st production model.
Tesla's top two stated objectives right now are:
1) Ramp up units/week as fast as possible.
2) Keep gross margin up.

Introducing choice of non-PUP is almost certainly going to run counter to both those objectives at the moment. It'd add a new wrinkle/complexity to the production line interfering with #1 and very unlikely that they priced PUP to have a lower gross margin than non-PUP.

I don't expect non-PUP option before SR. Maybe not even at the same time as SR? The only chance might be they introduce non-PUP choice as part of AWD roll out? AWD is planned to happen before SR. *shrug*

Reactions: MXWing
Tesla's top two stated objectives right now are:
1) Ramp up units/week as fast as possible.
2) Keep gross margin up.

Introducing choice of non-PUP is almost certainly going to run counter to both those objectives at the moment. It'd add a new wrinkle/complexity to the production line interfering with #1 and very unlikely that they priced PUP to have a lower gross margin than non-PUP.

I don't expect non-PUP option before SR. Maybe not even at the same time as SR? The only chance might be they introduce non-PUP choice as part of AWD roll out? AWD is planned to happen before SR. *shrug*

In the Canadian delivery estimate, both the SR/LR Dual Motor (with no PUP) shows availability mid 2018 for most reservation holders. I do wish they can roll out LR w/o PUP at the same time; shouldn't be difficult really.

Unfortunately, I don't think non-PUP comes out until the very end. Behind dual motor and maybe even behind a P Model if Tesla unleashes that.

Non-pup clogs production now while also reducing Tesla's margins.

Best case is SR and non PUP availability together. at same time Though Tesla may string margin first a bit with SR+PUP for awhile first.

In the Canadian delivery estimate, both the SR/LR Dual Motor (with no PUP) shows availability mid 2018 for most reservation holders. I do wish they can roll out LR w/o PUP at the same time; shouldn't be difficult really.
I wouldn't hang a lot on the wording of that page. It could happen but I wouldn't even count on SR being available as an option from the start of AWD. After all they aren't going to offer SR battery packs on RWD until after that, so the SR+AWD combo could very well end up unavailable until the SR battery packs are also being manufactured for RWD package.