Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD or LR AWD in Chicago

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently debating LR RWD (in stock, offered me free color upgrade) or LR AWD. I live in Chicago and have been using a Prius throughout winters with stock tires without issue. I also have a Volvo XC90 for really bad weather.

The M3 will be used mostly for local trips around the city and trips to Cincinnati to visit family. The M3 will see the occasional business trip to Minneapolis. I am not a speed junky so the additional acceleration will not be missed longterm. The additional range (15-30 miles) will be welcomed especially for my wife who has all kinds of range anxiety (she will be doing some solo trips to Cincinnati).

It definitely feels like I will be absolutely fine in the RWD (and will likely get snow tires), but I am also thinking ahead about resell value, additional features, etc.

Thoughts? I can be in either a RWD or AWD on Monday :)

Range is king when it comes to EVs. That's why Tesla isn't accurately listing the LR RWD at 332 mile range EPA so it doesn't compete with the S 100 kwh battery vehicles that cost more than twice as much and are EPA rated at 335.

Acceleration is fun, some people want power over range, so it's really a toss up. Get what you want.

I am currently debating LR RWD (in stock, offered me free color upgrade) or LR AWD. I live in Chicago and have been using a Prius throughout winters with stock tires without issue. I also have a Volvo XC90 for really bad weather.

The M3 will be used mostly for local trips around the city and trips to Cincinnati to visit family. The M3 will see the occasional business trip to Minneapolis. I am not a speed junky so the additional acceleration will not be missed longterm. The additional range (15-30 miles) will be welcomed especially for my wife who has all kinds of range anxiety (she will be doing some solo trips to Cincinnati).

It definitely feels like I will be absolutely fine in the RWD (and will likely get snow tires), but I am also thinking ahead about resell value, additional features, etc.

I have a M3 LR RWD and couldnt be happier. Acceleration is terrific and range is great. I drove to Florida from upstate NY. I’m satisfied in “CHILL” but if you want the umff keep it in STANDARD acceleration. It handled terrific in the snow of Upstate NY.

Sure sounds to me from this like "LR RWD" is your car. Have fun. :cool:

Reactions: Dre78
An early welcome to the family!

We went LR AWD due to Chicago Winters.

We live in the city where the side streets will be last to be plowed. We're coming from RWD 2004 Infiniti G35. After watching videos of RWD Model 3 in snow on all-season tires, choosing AWD was definitely overcompensation for the horrid experiences with the G35.

The daily commute is around 30 miles from the city (east Lakeview) to Buffalo Grove. I was concerned with range because I'm crawling at an average speed of 15mph until I hit the highway. And without a home charger, I'm reliant on the charger at work. Even still, we could/should have went mid-range as range has never been an issue.

You can get some good efficiency numbers in the winter for longer trips. Below are TeslaFi efficiency charting for the commute. On sunny but cold days, I increase efficiency by not running the heater.
2019-04-20 Telsa Model 3 Temperature Efficiency commute.png

Below are TeslaFi efficiency charting for all drives. Outliers contain short, 5 or less mile runs shuttling kids between home and daycare/school; the swing in numbers is because TeslaFi polling is too large to accurately measure smaller drives.
2019-04-20 Telsa Model 3 Temperature Efficiency all drives.png

Sorry for the lack of data; we didn't start TeslaFi until late-January, 2019.

Last edited:
An early welcome to the family!

We went LR AWD due to Chicago Winters.

We live in the city where the side streets will be last to be plowed. We're coming from RWD 2004 Infiniti G35. After watching videos of RWD Model 3 in snow on all-season tires, choosing AWD was definitely overcompensation for the horrid experiences with the G35.

The daily commute is around 30 miles from the city (east Lakeview) to Buffalo Grove. I was concerned with range because I'm crawling at an average speed of 15mph until I hit the highway. And without a home charger, I'm reliant on the charger at work. Even still, we could/should have went mid-range as range has never been an issue.

You can get some good efficiency numbers in the winter for longer trips. Below are TeslaFi efficiency charting for the commute. On sunny but cold days, I increase efficiency by not running the heater.
View attachment 398909

Below are TeslaFi efficiency charting for all drives. Outliers contain short, 5 or less mile runs shuttling kids between home and daycare/school; the swing in numbers is because TeslaFi polling is too large to accurately measure smaller drives.
View attachment 398910

Sorry for the lack of data; we didn't start TeslaFi until late-January, 2019.

RWD it is then! Just booked my order :) pick up on Monday. Praying there isn't a price change on Monday as that would suck!