Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD vs LR AWD Revisted - Range vs Winter Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By nimble, I mean 270 pounds less weight over the front axle, thereby reducing the amount of mass opposing a change in direction. Like taking a line backer out of your frunk nimble. :D
Only said linebacker is doing a lot of work towards changing direction, it isn't dead weight. Not even remotely.

Funny you'd mention linebacker, because of course the myth of "oh that 280lb person can't be nimble because they are big" that gets blown up by elite linebackers.

Last edited:
AWD here. Like you I considered RWD. A test drive in RWD where I spun the rear tires out (for half a second) on moist roads at a light sold me on wanting RWD.

The M3 has insane power and Torque with pairs great with the traction of AWD.

As for how fast the car goes. It is fast, but once you get used to it, you want faster, so don't let anyone tell you that the RWD is 'fast enough'.

Reactions: 9114s
For steering feel and nimbleness, it would be interesting to drive the SR version; it's supposed to be about 260 pounds lighter than the LR RWD model and 520 pounds lighter than the dual motor. Compared to the dual motor, that's like removing 2 linebackers from the car. :)

Edit: Compared to a base model BMW 330i, the Tesla Model 3 SR weighs 30 pounds less, has the same 0-60 and top speed, and has a starting price over $5k less before any government rebates. Tough competition for BMW.

Last edited:
Reactions: PJFW8
Sounds like she's a good candidate for SR+ unless the extra features of the full over partial premium package make a difference to her. I'd even say the SR, but the extra features of the + make it more than worth the extra $2,500. Your car would be available for longer trips or visits to the snow.

Don’t be so practical!

You are correct of course but where’s the fun in that! “Give ‘em the knee-shooters!”

I wouldn’t bet against us getting a second P3.

Don’t be so practical!

You are correct of course but where’s the fun in that! “Give ‘em the knee-shooters!”

I wouldn’t bet against us getting a second P3.
Well, there could be some fun in the SR+. It weighs almost 500 pounds less, so the steering feel and nimbleness should be good. Also, in the SR+, maybe you wouldn't have to use chill mode to keep your wife happy. :)

Just finished our first Canadian winter with a Model 3 LR RWD. We put four dedicated snow tires on it and never looked back. The car is much heavier than most and handled perfectly. To us the money was better spent on a good set of winter tires than on the AWD option. No regrets here.

Just finished our first Canadian winter with a Model 3 LR RWD. We put four dedicated snow tires on it and never looked back. The car is much heavier than most and handled perfectly. To us the money was better spent on a good set of winter tires than on the AWD option. No regrets here.
I have the same, M3 LR RWD with snow tires. I live in SNOWY Rochester NY and never had a problem or concern, The M3 performed terrific in the snow.