Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD vs LR AWD Revisted - Range vs Winter Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the same boat. RWD vs. AWD in Minnesota. My last two vehicles have been AWD (Wrangler and CX-5) and this February I vowed I would never buy anything else as we were absolutely brutalized by snow and I often had to drive out in blizzard conditions 3 times at night to pick up wife and 2 sons from various places. But I've also driven a lot of RWD with snow tires in pretty bad conditions and survived and yeah, $4k is a lot for .5 seconds and 15 less miles of range.

My question for RWD people who swap out winters is this:
1) How much did you pay for winter tires + rims? I show $1440 at tirerack with TPMs installed and balanced. Is that a reasonable deal?
2) Can you fit a full set of wheels in your car? I can get these swapped in 15 minutes for $40 right down the road from where I live so being able to do it in 1 trip is nice.
Double check tire prices in Costco too, they always got reasonable prices.

the key to traction in winter driving is NOT about AWD vs RWD. It is whether your car is equipped with winter tire/ snow tire. RWD drive car with a good set of winter tire will always beat any AWD car with 4 season tire.
Agreed, but AWD with winter tires will beat the RWD with winter tires when the going really gets tough. It's hilly where I live, and we occasionally get some really nasty ice conditions. Twice this year, there were days where if you didn't have AWD and winter tires, you simply weren't going anywhere, other than possibly into a ditch. The RWD cars with winter tires couldn't make it up the hills, and the AWD cars with all seasons couldn't go much of anywhere other than sliding down hills out of control.

Have you driven a RWD? It is very noticeably more fun and nimble around corners vs dual motor models. Of course you can't pull the same Gs but in regular everyday driving it's pretty fantastic.
The lighter and more nimble feel of the RWD is nice, but one thing nobody has mentioned is how much harder the Dual Motor can accelerate out of a corner than the RWD because of its AWD traction. It's a significant difference, so despite the RWD feeling more nimble, it is significantly slower through a series of tight bends.

I am very interested in a Model 3, but I keep waffling back and forth between RWD and AWD. They both offer very distinct advantages, and although I have seen some folks wish to upgrade to AWD, I haven't seen anyone wishing they would have chosen RWD.

As I see it, here are the advantages of RWD:
  • Longer Range, 325 versus 310 (advertised)
  • Greater overall efficiency
  • Lighter steering, more nimble feel
  • An immediate $4200 savings ($4k+tax)
And here are the advantages of AWD:
  • 1/2 second faster to 60 mph
  • Greater acceleration, especially at high speeds
  • Improved traction for starting in wet or snow
I live in snow and cold country (Wisconsin), so I would be running dedicated snow wheels/tires on either car during the winter. That said, I am not worried about getting stuck with a RWD, as I have driven primarily 2WD cars without issue over my last 35 years of driving. But, being new to EVs, I fully admit to having some range anxiety, and am slightly worried about range in the winter, making it a bit difficult to justify paying over $4k for less range, even if it is only about 5% less.

So other than the differences I have noted above, are there any other reasons why I should pick one drivetrain over the other? I keep telling myself that the RWD is fine for my needs, and honestly, I was really impressed with the overall traction during a recent drive of a MR RWD in the rain. However, I am really curious about the AWD, and I wonder if I would ultimately prefer it. I am planning a comparison test drive of the RWD vs AWD in the sprig. Is there anything else I should be observant of during these drives?

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

I have the Performance Model 3 and used it pretty extensively in the snow - handled great. I was going up snow covered hills that others failed to navigate. I do run dedicated winter tires on a separate set of wheels which undoubtedly helped. I don't need the AWD all the time, but it's worth the added cost in the winter when it keeps me out of ditches or parked at home.

Reactions: moltenfire
I have a Perfomance 3 but the wife now wants a Model 3 so we are deciding which to get her. She won’t care.

I was set on the RWD LR but haven’t driven one and now am in a similar (but less snow) boat as the OP.

The range difference of 15 battery miles is only 5% which isn’t much in the real world from my experience.

Here is a RWD buyer who regretted it. FWIW

There was a rush LR RWD earlier in March so they are popular probably because of the extra “range”.

I have no regrets about the P3. So maybe the best approach is buy the AWD so you won’t have regrets.

Good luck!

Bob

I have a Perfomance 3 but the wife now wants a Model 3 so we are deciding which to get her. She won’t care.

I was set on the RWD LR but haven’t driven one and now am in a similar (but less snow) boat as the OP.

The range difference of 15 battery miles is only 5% which isn’t much in the real world from my experience.

Here is a RWD buyer who regretted it. FWIW

There was a rush LR RWD earlier in March so they are popular probably because of the extra “range”.

I have no regrets about the P3. So maybe the best approach is buy the AWD so you won’t have regrets.

Good luck!

Bob
Are you sure your wife won't have P envy if you don't get her a P3D as well? :)

I am very interested in a Model 3, but I keep waffling back and forth between RWD and AWD. They both offer very distinct advantages, and although I have seen some folks wish to upgrade to AWD, I haven't seen anyone wishing they would have chosen RWD.

As I see it, here are the advantages of RWD:
  • Longer Range, 325 versus 310 (advertised)
  • Greater overall efficiency
  • Lighter steering, more nimble feel
  • An immediate $4200 savings ($4k+tax)
And here are the advantages of AWD:
  • 1/2 second faster to 60 mph
  • Greater acceleration, especially at high speeds
  • Improved traction for starting in wet or snow
I live in snow and cold country (Wisconsin), so I would be running dedicated snow wheels/tires on either car during the winter. That said, I am not worried about getting stuck with a RWD, as I have driven primarily 2WD cars without issue over my last 35 years of driving. But, being new to EVs, I fully admit to having some range anxiety, and am slightly worried about range in the winter, making it a bit difficult to justify paying over $4k for less range, even if it is only about 5% less.

So other than the differences I have noted above, are there any other reasons why I should pick one drivetrain over the other? I keep telling myself that the RWD is fine for my needs, and honestly, I was really impressed with the overall traction during a recent drive of a MR RWD in the rain. However, I am really curious about the AWD, and I wonder if I would ultimately prefer it. I am planning a comparison test drive of the RWD vs AWD in the sprig. Is there anything else I should be observant of during these drives?

Thanks for your feedback in advance!
I have a 3 RWD. Before moving to North Carolina, I lived in West Bend, WI for 35 years. Hubertus is in the same county (Washington). I spent the Christmas holidays there and had plenty of winter driving during the stay. My car was great with winter tires. AWD is $4000. Winter tires on Tesla wheels is $2000 and far less from Tire Rack or other suppliers. Unless you find a seasonal wheel/tire swap difficult, go with winter tires. AWD does not help with braking. Winter tires do. Of course, AWD and winter tires is best, but not needed. Your next consideration is winter range loss. AWD exacts a real penalty. My midwestern winter travels were ok, but took a little planning. Go with winter tires w/o AWD if range is a concern. (AWD range is still decent). I am ordering a RWD Y.

Yes. I am only allowed to drive in Chill mode when she is in the car.

Of course I have my BOB!!!! profile set up with everything wide open. :)

And a Bob profile that is set in Chill mode and everything nice and soft...
Sounds like she's a good candidate for SR+ unless the extra features of the full over partial premium package make a difference to her. I'd even say the SR, but the extra features of the + make it more than worth the extra $2,500. Your car would be available for longer trips or visits to the snow.

one thing nobody has mentioned is how much harder the Dual Motor can accelerate out of a corner than the RWD because of its AWD traction. It's a significant difference, so despite the RWD feeling more nimble, it is significantly slower through a series of tight bends.

That's what I meant by pulling more Gs. Yes the RWD is slower but majority of the time, most drivers are not blasting out of every corner at full throttle. Even if you do so 10% of the time, RWD is more fun for 90% of the driving and for me personally, makes up for the reduced power during the occasional 10% of scenarios. The only model that's significantly better is the P3D+. If there was a performance RWD I might prefer it over my current AWD.

I have a 3 RWD. Before moving to North Carolina, I lived in West Bend, WI for 35 years. Hubertus is in the same county (Washington). I spent the Christmas holidays there and had plenty of winter driving during the stay. My car was great with winter tires. AWD is $4000. Winter tires on Tesla wheels is $2000 and far less from Tire Rack or other suppliers. Unless you find a seasonal wheel/tire swap difficult, go with winter tires. AWD does not help with braking. Winter tires do. Of course, AWD and winter tires is best, but not needed. Your next consideration is winter range loss. AWD exacts a real penalty. My midwestern winter travels were ok, but took a little planning. Go with winter tires w/o AWD if range is a concern. (AWD range is still decent). I am ordering a RWD Y.

Then you are well aware of our conditions and terrain. I have run dedicated snow tires for most of my driving career, so I am extremely familiar with their benefits. Personally, I am more concerned about the effects of cold on the car than I am worried about grip with snow tires. My Focus ST is an absolute beast in the snow with proper snow tires!

Typically, we get maybe 2-3 significant (6+") snowfalls during an average winter, with a majority being 2" snows - just enough to be annoying. But it is usually plenty cold from December through March, hence my greater concerns over range and battery performance.

That said, I also may not be here many more years, as I am also considering relocating to a warmer climate at some point.

Reactions: PJFW8
Then you are well aware of our conditions and terrain. I have run dedicated snow tires for most of my driving career, so I am extremely familiar with their benefits. Personally, I am more concerned about the effects of cold on the car than I am worried about grip with snow tires. My Focus ST is an absolute beast in the snow with proper snow tires!

Typically, we get maybe 2-3 significant (6+") snowfalls during an average winter, with a majority being 2" snows - just enough to be annoying. But it is usually plenty cold from December through March, hence my greater concerns over range and battery performance.

That said, I also may not be here many more years, as I am also considering relocating to a warmer climate at some point.
I agree with your analysis.

You can't go wrong with either, most people won't use 1/3 of the power of a model 3. Once the snow hits the road try to hit the speed limit. Grip and acceleration is not the issue in winter weather it's stopping power and both have the same.

Haha. Yeah staggered setups are dumb, I’ve got 265/40R18 square. That video is of P3D with track mode on, I’m sure it’s tuned a lot differently! Makes me wonder what time Randy Pobst could get in a well setup RWD Model 3. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was faster than a stock P.
I don't know about Randy but MPP was getting better out of their testbed RWD than a stock P on their local track. Which isn't surprising how much they put into that, including the prototype for the Party Box, and how much room stock Model 3s of all stripes have for tweaking for track handling performance.

What I really want to know is if anyone has tried an AWD (D or P) in a staggered setup with slightly wider in front. :) If I felt I had the $500 cash & time to blow trying it out I would.