Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR3 is too efficient

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya, I've got both cars too. Our 3 is AWD with 19" and even so...

We just took the 3 on a trip that used 75% (one way) that my S85 would have a tough time squeaking in at 90-100% for that same leg -- maybe juuust making it but putting me into anxiety mode.

We have metric here... so I see 140 Wh/km on the highway in the model 3.
And typically 200 Wh/km with the S85.
HVAC off.

The 3 with aerohub 18" would be even nuttier.

Gas is so dead. Range is not an issue.

Last edited:
But for realz its nuts how efficient this car is! 325 might actually be 300ish in good driving conditions. Coming from a S60 that used energy like a ford bronco sucks gas I have to deliberatly drive super hard to get my WH/MI over 280. Whats everyones lifetime wh/mi at?
throw some sticky 265's on it, that should do it!

Last edited:
A picture is worth a thousand words. 20,269 miles since new in June.
50% interstate miles at 70+ mph. Incidentally, last full charge a couple of days ago showed 310 miles.
IMG_3198.jpeg

Last edited:
LR RWD with 19" Sport here. Mostly drive in the city (Austin). So far I'm at 251Wh/m over about 7,500 miles.

Fun fact: A full battery in a LR Model 3 has the equivalent energy of about 2.2 gallons of gas. So basically, the Model 3 is so efficient that it can drive 325 miles on the energy of slightly more than TWO GALLONS of gasoline. (Link) EVs aren't cheaper to operate because electricity is cheaper than gas, they're cheaper to operate because they're ridiculously efficient.

LR RWD with 19" Sport here. Mostly drive in the city (Austin). So far I'm at 251Wh/m over about 7,500 miles.

Fun fact: A full battery in a LR Model 3 has the equivalent energy of about 2.2 gallons of gas. So basically, the Model 3 is so efficient that it can drive 325 miles on the energy of slightly more than TWO GALLONS of gasoline. (Link) EVs aren't cheaper to operate because electricity is cheaper than gas, they're cheaper to operate because they're ridiculously efficient.

I'm in Austin as well, LR RWD with 18" aeros (caps always off). Currently with 6200 miles sitting at 270 Wh/mi. Before the cold weather came around I was sitting at 252 Wh/mi, so I imagine it should even out by the end of spring.

I slam the pedal quite often. Even at 252 with driving aggressively on surface roads, I'd say that's pretty good.

First I am a Tesla owner and fan.
Second I hate to see people spew bad info for good reasons because then when you try and make points to thoughtful people they will dismiss all you say based on bad details.

In a gas car the inefficient energy conversion happens in the car, believe current ICE are 35-38% efficient.
State of the art natural gas power plants are 60% efficient and then we have transmission and charging losses not seen at the actual vehicle.

ICE will always take more power to go down the road because of the cooling needs being aerodynamically bad, but let us be HONEST about the fact electrical generation is inefficient too and we just don't see it in the car like you do with an ICE. This doesn't mean the inefficiency doesn't exist, just doesn't show up at the car.

Reactions: RBowen
In a gas car the inefficient energy conversion happens in the car, believe current ICE are 35-38% efficient.

Nope. Real world efficiency of tank to wheels of 25%, best case scenario. We won't talk about idling in traffic, cold starts, etc.

You also forgot a whole 'nother line of inefficiencies of gas cars, namely, how do you think that gas got in your tank? Because it didn't magically appear on the scene out of nowhere.

1) pumped from the ground.
2) transported to a refinery.
3) refined from crude into gasoline (refineries consume so much electricity they have their own power substations).
4) transported to a gas station.
5) pumped into your tank.

EV's are a heck of a lot more efficient than ICE cars, it's not fake news.