TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

LTE upgrade

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by apacheindian, Dec 1, 2015.

1. apacheindian

apacheindian Member

Worth it?

I don't really perceive any deficiencies with the 3G I currently have, and therefore don't see a need to fork over $500 for the LTE upgrade. That said this is a common sentiment that people have prior to adopting any new technology i.e. "I'm fine how I am I don't need this fancy schmantzy gizmo!", call it the Luddite Fallacy -- so I am open to it.

Thoughts/experiences appreciated

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

I'd say get it. Faster connectivity with more range.

3. apacheindian

apacheindian Member

???

4. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

I think the point is that LTE has a longer transmission range from the tower to the user, not that the car will be able to drive farther.

5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

6. msnow

msnow Active Member

More range means better coverage. Also, if you search LTE you mostly hear about map redraws. It's much more than that.

7. markn455

markn455 Member

I had the LTE Upgrade installed yesterday. Little less than 24 hours and notice the individual blocks on the maps load quicker. The Time to do the entire full screen map does not seem much different overall. I need a new days ad I will be able to give more of my impression. I have not tried the browser but streaming music loads much faster.