Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Mode for P3D+ only or P3D- inclusive?

Do you think Ludicrous Mode is only for P3D+?

• Yes, it will be only for P3D+ (Performance Upgrade Package)

Votes: 78 51.7%
  • No, it will be for both P3D+ AND P3D- (Including non-Performance Upgrade Package)

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • No, it will be for all P3D AND all AWDs (Non Performance Dual Motors) by future software unlocking

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Ludicrous Mode will NOT exist for Model 3 despite Elon's tweet.

Votes: 35 23.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't be upset about missing out on new software features that weren't yet announced when I bought my car as long as there's a technical reason it wouldn't work, not just because I didn't spend a little extra cash on unrelated upgrades.

So say 2019 Performance cars get a new fuse or more durable gear reduction, ect that enables Ludicrous so I miss out with my 2018, totally fine.

Agreed, I don't get why Tesla wouldn't want to sell software unlocks to everyone. If there's a software unlock for Luda I'd understand if Tesla wants to charge me for it. What would make me angry is if they decide that I can't have it because I didn't buy the right version of the P3D.

As I stated in the track mode thread, for me the choice wasn't about saving 5k but rather that I didn't want 20" wheels. People with 21" low profile wheels on Model S have had all sorts of issues. Not to mention there is a significant real world range penalty with larger wheel sizes, despite Tesla's misleading range numbers across all AWD variants.

In other words, no one can be satisfied all the time due to the constant improvements by Tesla.

I went into my purchase keeping this in mind, however I made the decision to order the P3D after I heard about track mode though.

Anything else offered after I ordered I can't blame, but all articles and communication in the past led me to infer that track mode should be available on the entire performance trim, than a specific package. As a new pending Tesla, I've come to realize just how typical this is of the company.

Yeah I figured P3D+ ludicrous at best might get you to 2.9s or something (out of my ass guess). If I really want to go faster, I need a roadster in my life :D
Sign me up for that please. If this were an ICE car I'd happy drop 5k in aftermarket parts to gain that speed. I can't pull off the p100d cost let alone the damn roadster.

Reactions: UltralightBeam
Sign me up for that please. If this were an ICE car I'd happy drop 5k in aftermarket parts to gain that speed. I can't pull off the p100d cost let alone the damn roadster.

Its my guess/bet that there is nothing inherently part of the P3D+ other than the brakes that would prevent us from a Track mode upgrade. I figure the ludicrous option if it does come for us, would be available for P3D- or P3D+. No one quote me on that though, and if you do you're a jerk lol.

Based on the fact that track mode is exclusive to performance upgrade only, I think Tesla is sending a strong message to customers that they pay the premium if they are going to have buyer's remorse.

But there is also a chance that even 3P+ may not get Ludicrous Mode. If Tesla changes mind and really want to squeeze the new customers' wallet while pissing off all current 3P+ customers, you forgot the scenario in which they can make an option in design studio for Ludicrous Package for extra 5K on top of 3P+. Based on what happened to track mode, which people know it is only software update that 3P- can also get, this is not completely impossible. In business, it makes no sense for Tesla. If this happens, Tesla may just be a troll. :mad:

If that ever happens(although very unlikely imo), we all may name it P3D++ or 3P++?
11k more than awd isn't a premium?

Reactions: MacGreiner
In other words, no one can be satisfied all the time due to the constant improvements by Tesla.
That kind of thinking is silly. If you want to make sure you aren't left out by being treated as a second-class citizen because you didn't buy the "ultra-premium" tier instead of the "regular premium" tier, then just make sure to not play that game and just get the plebian AWD model. Pay $10k less and not worry about if you'll get this or that because you can be secure knowing you won't but that you also saved $10k.

That kind of thinking is silly. If you want to make sure you aren't left out by being treated as a second-class citizen because you didn't buy the "ultra-premium" tier instead of the "regular premium" tier, then just make sure to not play that game and just get the plebian AWD model. Pay $10k less and not worry about if you'll get this or that because you can be secure knowing you won't but that you also saved $10k.
It's 11k more for me, tempted to switch back to AWD... I really want that 3.5 though :) The special modes would be fun but I'm already spending 11k more than I signed up for, and 45k more than the 35k model I originally signed up for! So I'm paying a bit of a premium already.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Maximilien

That's a good mindset for AWD buyers. They know ahead that they will not likely get(99% not likely) upgrade for Performance but they will be saving $10K. P3D- people however are in limbo as they have to gamble and bet on luck when Ludicrous Mode is announced. But unlike Track mode, I strongly believe it will be also available in P3D- as it is only one direction motion.

But one consolation prize for all P3D- until September 16th is the Free Unlimited Supercharging. To me, that is worth a lot. To many P3D- owners, I bet quite many will value it too.

Last edited:
For the possibility of being left out for Ludicrous Mode, I have just ordered the Performance Upgrade Package.

Also the brake looks sexy.:cool:

I just wanted those brakes and carbon fiber spoiler :cool:. So tempted but didn't.

Went to the Tesla store (Brea,CA) yesterday and now they have so many test vehicles (24) they had to rent out a whole new role of parking spaces (by the Nordstroms). I was there to test drive a RWD Model 3 (more below), but I found out their Sales manager is changing jobs to become a delivery manager and was able to get more details on my order for me. Was trying to see if it was too late to add white seats and the PUP on my P3D- which they told me it was so I'm definitely stuck on the P3D- wagon.

As for my canceled delivery issue, the latest story I got from this manager was that my vehicle was built....they scheduled delivery for me, and ASSUMED it had been brought down from Fremont but for some reason never made it down, so thats why they canceled my delivery according to this source. According to Nina (DA) at the Costa Mesa site, they said my vehicle was in pre-production and hadn't been built yet. 2 different stories oy vey.

Regarding the RWD test drive for the first time, initial acceleration and pedal response definitely feels different across all the modes (Comfort, Standard, Sport). The 0-20 feels like most Chevrolet EV's that I've driven in the past as opposed to the instant torque you get on the P-AWD. I only test drove a Leaf one back in 2011 and that EV had a lot more the instant-kick like an P-AWD as compared to the GM EV's which has the same subdued RWD early acceleration.

Reactions: Maximilien
I just wanted those brakes and carbon fiber spoiler :cool:. So tempted but didn't.

Went to the Tesla store (Brea,CA) yesterday and now they have so many test vehicles (24) they had to rent out a whole new role of parking spaces (by the Nordstroms). I was there to test drive a RWD Model 3 (more below), but I found out their Sales manager is changing jobs to become a delivery manager and was able to get more details on my order for me. Was trying to see if it was too late to add white seats and the PUP on my P3D- which they told me it was so I'm definitely stuck on the P3D- wagon.

As for my canceled delivery issue, the latest story I got from this manager was that my vehicle was built....they scheduled delivery for me, and ASSUMED it had been brought down from Fremont but for some reason never made it down, so thats why they canceled my delivery according to this source. According to Nina (DA) at the Costa Mesa site, they said my vehicle was in pre-production and hadn't been built yet. 2 different stories oy vey.

Regarding the RWD test drive for the first time, initial acceleration and pedal response definitely feels different across all the modes (Comfort, Standard, Sport). The 0-20 feels like most Chevrolet EV's that I've driven in the past as opposed to the instant torque you get on the P-AWD. I only test drove a Leaf one back in 2011 and that EV had a lot more the instant-kick like an P-AWD as compared to the GM EV's which has the same subdued RWD early acceleration.

My edit button will be here for awhile and I don't see myself in track. So track mode is not valuable for me and I can live without it. But if ludicrous mode is only for P3D+, I know I would regret. So to be on the safe side, I decided to bite 5K for upgrade. Who knows? I may change my mind and save 5K while the edit button is on.

The positive thing about your P3D- is more range, which is the top feature in EV. One TMC member posted his Wh/mi for his 1500 miles and based on it, it was around above 300 miles range. I know P3D+ with big wheel will not likely make over 300 miles. I may adopt granny style of driving to make it up for it ;)

Thanks to your failed delivery of RWD, at least you get the Performance. My friend who got early RWD regrets not waiting long for Performance.

You can break 300 miles range if you stay at 60 MPH or less haha....:p

Of course having the 2 wheel option with a spare set of MXM4 tires will net you 10% more range which is already on the market today. Its just getting that last 5% with the aero covers that doesn't exist.

I don't understand how people think they will be able to fit smaller 18" wheels on the p+ car with it's larger brakes.

The P3D will be my daily driver and i have a long commute so even is ludicrous if only available for the P3D+ i can't imagine that package will be better for my commute + autopilot. I can't afford any more options so it's autopilot or + and the + just isn't making sense. Free surcharging seems about worthless since the supercharger here is always congested and ill make make one road trip every year or two.

Id probably be better off with awd as it feels like i only get 1/2 the performance package for 2/3 the price.

Last edited:

I don't understand why people want everything included with the base P model. The different models came about because people complained the P was too expensive; there was never supposed to be two models. So in an effort to make the P model more affordable they offered a stripped-down version. Now people want everything the higher priced model has available on the stripped-down version. I know it's different from ice cars, etc. but pricing tiers are how companies make money. Mercedes charges 8 grand more for the C63S, which has the same engine as the C63, just faster. But they won't put that package in a C43 because that doesn't make sense. The problem with Tesla is there's not really any difference between models except the performance, so people feel gipped. But those are the pricing tiers that are setup.

I think if Ludicrous were to happen it would depend on the S and X getting faster. You can’t have the mass market cars be quicker than the flagships.

I'm not sure I understand this statement even though I hear it a lot. Even at 2.9 seconds it'd still be slower than a Model S P100D. P3D is already quicker than the base model S/X. What you're competing against are quick ICEs like a Dodge Hellcat or a Demon which are around the same price range.

I could see ludicrous upgrade appearing if Tesla were to need some cash. Would you pay $5k for 2.90 seconds 0-60 (still not quite as fast as an S)?

Tesla could also raise cash by offering an "boost awd", but keep the performance below the P model. Lets say boost awd is 3.9 seconds for 0-60 -- would you pay $5k more for "boost"? It would still be slower than a P, and have no option for "track mode".

There are lots of ways Tesla could go with it. They could make a lot cash for simple relaxing the software limits. But, perhaps their are design limits with the current cars. They way the spec parts now could be a problem. They "know" that 100% of the shipping P models can hit 3.5 sec 0-60 that they advertise. What if only 90% can do 2.90 seconds? What do they do with the 10% that would under perform? Perhaps that is the cost of the upgrade -- they would have to replace a motor in "failing" units. Would you be happy if you paid $5k and found out your motors could only do 3.1 seconds without overheating?

Of course next year they could come out with a dedicated ludicrous model that had better battery performance like they have on the S. Perhaps beefier cooling to allow it to do more laps at max performance?

there was never supposed to be two models.
This is an interesting bit - it's true up front it was not available in pieces but given they did, they've mudded the waters all over the place - I don't want track mode per-se but I feel like $11k for ~a sec is a little disappointing when considered the other $5k included actual hardware bits and bobs and like many I just did not want 20" rims for 99.999% street life. Bigger brakes would have been fine, nice even but they made it unpalatable when it didn't need to be.. for some