Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Mode for P3D+ only or P3D- inclusive?

Do you think Ludicrous Mode is only for P3D+?

• Yes, it will be only for P3D+ (Performance Upgrade Package)

Votes: 78 51.7%
  • No, it will be for both P3D+ AND P3D- (Including non-Performance Upgrade Package)

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • No, it will be for all P3D AND all AWDs (Non Performance Dual Motors) by future software unlocking

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Ludicrous Mode will NOT exist for Model 3 despite Elon's tweet.

Votes: 35 23.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There shouldn't be an all encompassing generic mode like "track mode" anyway. That looks like yet another nanny mode. You should be able to set these settings individually:
- disable skid control
- disable traction control
- disable stabilization
- disable ABS (for testing)
- maximize battery cooling
- increase regenerative braking
We are not babies. We should be able to turn these on and off at our will in whatever combination we please.
In more recent interviews, that sounds exactly like Elon's description. Perhaps you're running on old information.

Correction, we do not want everything the higher priced model has available because it's junk. We want better aftermarket parts than the P+ offers: larger lighter rotors, lighter forged wheels, better coilovers, etc. So some of us are not buying the + because what we get for that $5000 is throw away stuff or stuff I'll have to spend time selling. I rather get the P- and then spend $5000+ on the parts that I actually want and are more performant. For us, not getting track mode makes no sense.

There shouldn't be an all encompassing generic mode like "track mode" anyway. That looks like yet another nanny mode. You should be able to set these settings individually:
- disable skid control
- disable stabilization
We are not babies. We should be able to turn these on and off at our will in whatever combination we please.

Sounds like you’re talking about a nifty new feature called Track Mode! Tesla is now selling it for 5000 bucks... does all the stuff you wanted! And it comes with 20’s, better tires and better brakes for free.

• Funny
Reactions: SigNC and Shizzrock
Correction, we do not want everything the higher priced model has available because it's junk. We want better aftermarket parts than the P+ offers: larger lighter rotors, lighter forged wheels, better coilovers, etc. So some of us are not buying the + because what we get for that $5000 is throw away stuff or stuff I'll have to spend time selling. I rather get the P- and then spend $5000+ on the parts that I actually want and are more performant. For us, not getting track mode makes no sense.

- disable skid control
- disable stabilization

I don't get what's going on here. Cars come with what they come with. I wish it came with arachnids, but it doesn't. So you make a decision based on what it does come with. No car I know of lets you disable ABS, and a lot of modern ones have varying amounts of traction and stability control on even when you turn them off. If you want a purist car you shouldn't be getting a model 3. If you just wanted to pick and choose what the higher priced model comes with for less money, that sounds like sour grapes. Just get the PUP and sell the wheels.

As for cooling, I suspect the cooling tweaks related to Track Mode have potential warranty impact that Tesla considers baked into the premium pricing so I'm not optimistic requests for that down the Model 3 line will yield much fruit.
Why would that be. Allowing for better cooling (included in track mode) would save the batteries not add an extra burden. That feature should be allowed on all models.

. If you just wanted to pick and choose what the higher priced model comes with for less money, that sounds like sour grapes. Just get the PUP and sell the wheels.

That seems a bit unfair...

I'd bet it's as much simplicity in the line as $ for Tesla that 'required' the $5k to include 20" rims + sport tires. Many will/do like them but having to offer 3 different wheel sets with Performance is too complicated for Tesla at this time - we see it with the color-batched builds, the delay of P+ with black interior, etc. There's literally no good reason to not otherwise offer the 19" rims that they offer on the AWD for the Performance but they didn't - either super tires or not-at-all-performance tires were the choices.

Perhaps foolishly I'm hoping that it is more a la cart for the post purchase upgrade.

Sounds like you’re talking about a nifty new feature called Track Mode! Tesla is now selling it for 5000 bucks... does all the stuff you wanted! And it comes with 20’s, better tires and better brakes for free.
Track mode gives you no control over disabling what you want. The 20" wheels that come with P+ are heavy and have no place being on a performance car and they certainly are not free. The P+ should have come with forged 19" under 20lbs not cast at 30lbs. The P+ is more a vanity upgrade than a performance upgrade. The only thing even remotely perfomant in that package is slightly beefier calipers which are not needed because the problem is thermal dissipation not clipper grip. What is needed are large light weight brake rotors but instead we got heavy ones.

Track mode gives you no control over disabling what you want. The 20" wheels that come with P+ are heavy and have no place being on a performance car and they certainly are not free. The P+ should have come with forged 19" under 20lbs not cast at 30lbs. The P+ is more a vanity upgrade than a performance upgrade. The only thing even remotely perfomant in that package is slightly beefier calipers which are not needed because the problem is thermal dissipation not clipper grip. What is needed are large light weight brake rotors but instead we got heavy ones.

We don't know what track mode does or doesn't do because it hasn't been released yet. All we can do is infer off the cuff remarks from Elon and the limited reviews out there.

20" wheels on a performance model is pretty standard. I would love for them to be forged like the M3, but they're not. But they're on a ton of performance cars nonetheless.

I can only infer this also, but I'm pretty sure the brakes work in tandem with track mode, as an e-diff. Also, the tires are performance. So, you combine the tires, the brakes and spoiler and what do you have? A performance package!

It sounds like you just hate the wheels so just get the package and sell the wheels. Assume the brakes are needed for track mode and this debate becomes moot.

That seems a bit unfair...

I'd bet it's as much simplicity in the line as $ for Tesla that 'required' the $5k to include 20" rims + sport tires. Many will/do like them but having to offer 3 different wheel sets with Performance is too complicated for Tesla at this time - we see it with the color-batched builds, the delay of P+ with black interior, etc. There's literally no good reason to not otherwise offer the 19" rims that they offer on the AWD for the Performance but they didn't - either super tires or not-at-all-performance tires were the choices.

Perhaps foolishly I'm hoping that it is more a la cart for the post purchase upgrade.

I agree with some of this. I wish it didn't come with 20" wheels and what I'm really bummed about is no space gray, no sport rocker panels, no sport fascia, the list can go on and on. But you need sport tires to make it a performance model. Do people really think so little of the company that they think they're just trying to upsell 20" wheels? The simplest explanation is the performance model was tuned with these wheels and that's what they have all their performance data using. They're putting out the specs they used to test with. They made a compromise with tire widths, and that's also included in their performance testing. The first performance model was built like, two months ago? Tesla is barely keeping it together.

Does that mean 19" wheels won't work? Of course not. Does that mean wider tires won't be better? No. It just means this is the model they tested and are releasing. I've never seen such an uproar over wheels. Just get the package and sell the wheels. It's what countless other people do when they buy performance models.

Or just wait for the dust to settle. Whoever is buying now is a super early adopter, and I guarantee more things will be released within even the next year that will bum the early adopters out. But that's the choice right now. If you wait a year you can probably get air suspension.

Edit: I actually truly believe they make more money on the non-p model. So if you truly want value, you get the package.

Why would that be. Allowing for better cooling (included in track mode) would save the batteries not add an extra burden. That feature should be allowed on all models.
Incorrect. The limiter already "saves the battery" by not allowing you to pull as much juice when the battery is stressed. Cooling allows you to continue stressing it more and, in the process, adds the "bonus" of doing more cycling of the battery (to support the cooling) -- and thus degradation.

Last edited:
Waiting for dust settling... btw I know what you're saying about just-sell-the-wheels... but it's a pain in the butt; even my swapping of the aeros to the OEM was more work than I wish it had been :)

Definitely a pain, and not worth it for many. The strawman argument is that the P-minus allows people to sell the wheels and brakes for upgrades to ‘real performance’ gear... as If somehow you can’t on the P+.

If Track Mode is that important, certainly a 5000 dollar software upgrade can be budgeted into a racecar budget along with a BBK, forged rims, coil overs, frame stiffeners, roll cage, racing seats, harness, rear seat delete, track fees and all the extra pads and tires.

Incorrect. The limiter already "saves the battery" by not allowing you to pull as much juice when the battery is stressed. Cooling allows you to continue stressing it more and, in the process, adds the "bonus" of doing more cycling of the battery (to support the cooling) -- and thus degradation.
Yes, that is exactly my point. Why would they not allow the extra cooling option on a performance model to prevent the battery from being stressed. Why would only the P+ model get the extra cooling? The P- could benefit from that too.

Reactions: Msjulie
Definitely a pain, and not worth it for many. The strawman argument is that the P-minus allows people to sell the wheels and brakes for upgrades to ‘real performance’ gear... as If somehow you can’t on the P+.
No need to sell anything from the P-. Just throw it away since you don't have to recoup the wasted $5000 on things you did not want.
If Track Mode is that important, certainly a 5000 dollar software upgrade can be budgeted into a racecar budget along with a BBK, forged rims, coil overs, frame stiffeners, roll cage, racing seats, harness, rear seat delete, track fees and all the extra pads and tires.
Yes that could be budgeted in. But it is a big waste never the less.

From people who have been given cars with track mode and have reviewed it. There are no other options but a single button called track mode (on/off).
There are no reports of the customer-ready version of Track Mode being reviewed. In part, because the customer-ready version of Track Mode isn't completed yet.

Read the first sentence here:
Tesla Model 3 Track Mode Exists Because Elon Musk is a Huge Nerd | Inverse

One of the dangers of reviewers discussing a not-yet-released prototype, and readers not reading carefully, is that incomplete and dated information fuels disagreements between people that don't know the future.

I am surprised 18 people here thinks there will not be any Ludicrous Mode. I just threw that choice thinking hardly anyone would pick that as a choice.

For those who think so, what makes you guys think Tesla will not release Ludicrous Mode? The 78.2 kWh (Total 80.5 kWh) usable is actually bigger battery than Model S P85D (only about 77 kWh usable, something like 81 kWh total).

If S P85D can pull 3.2 seconds (S P85D Ludicrous gets 2.8 seconds?) or faster 0-60, I can see more potential in Model 3 Performance as it is 1000 lbs lighter. I think Tesla is just playing safe for now but I feel many new nice surprises will be released over time.

Reactions: Jedi2155