Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous No Longer Available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After taking delivery of my P85D last month, I reached out to the local service center about the Ludicrous upgrade. I just assumed Tesla wasn't doing them for "older" cars. Since then, several forum members reached out mentioning that they just had or are currently having the Ludicrous upgrade done.

Is this arbitrary on Tesla's part, or are there technical aspects that prohibit me from getting such an upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2296.PNG

• Helpful
Reactions: minderbinder
I believe it was available for original owners who had also placed a $500 deposit for the upgrade up until some point in the past. When the upgrade kits arrived at the chosen service center for that particular VIN, then, the upgrade was done. I placed the upgrade order for my Dec-2014 P85D on 12/31/2015 and finally got the upgrade done in late-May 2016.

Do you really want it?, it's so jerky and head numbing. I felt sick driving a car with it. Not impressed. And yes you can gun it from a stop but how many times are you really going to do that? Put that $5K towards a trip.

That's a reasonable sentiment and yes, if the head's not against the headrest, that launch can be head numbing. But, it's really the highway passing acceleration that I like the most about it. It's in a different league from Insane.

Do you really want it?, it's so jerky and head numbing. I felt sick driving a car with it. Not impressed. And yes you can gun it from a stop but how many times are you really going to do that? Put that $5K towards a trip.

Trip where? I live in a place people vacation year round. And yes, I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want it.

I want higher performance at the lower state of charge that comes with having the upgraded fuse, mostly. As it stands now performance falls off considerably below 85% SOC.

So people getting them now had ordered them long ago? Ok.

Reactions: Parebalo
I wanted to upgrade my CPO P85D and my SA informed me it was only available to original owners.

I asked my tech if he thought there was anyway to get it approved. He then looked up the Ludicrous service in his system and said its discontinued :(

If folks would understand this is merely a software load, they would see Tesla doesn't want u upgrading. They want you to buy a P100D, it's not the minor amount, it's to make you buy a p110d. With ludicrous mode. Like the 60 to 75 upgrade, pay, next morning you have a 75.
Bottom line, smile, it's a fun car to drive. Buy a p110d if you want the quickest car on the planet.

I believe that this is a fuse replacement. It was offered for a short period when either ludicrous or the P90s (don’t remember) came out as something for the folks that recently purchased. To help with the “I just bought the fastest production car, and now 2 weeks later it is not”.

Reactions: gavine
The upgrade takes a P85D to a Ludicrous P85D. Yes, P85DL is different in performance from P90DL is different in performance from P100DL.

Thanks, I have a P85D, too bad it can't be made into a P100D Ludicrous haha...
Actually I think what I'll miss most is when full autonomous driving becomes available and I can only buy a brand new car if I want the hardware that's needed...