Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Retrofit No Longer Available???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does seem like they realized Ludicrous mode was too stressful on the powertrain (mostly the 90kWh packs) and have been trying to phase it out but removing it from CPO cars and no longer offering the option to upgrade. With that being said, this systematic purge of 85 and 90 Ludicrous cars has been happening longer than the Arizona case.

FWIW our Insane 2015 P85D:
  • March 2015 built
  • July 2015 bought as inventory car with 2,600 miles
  • January 2017 Ludicrous Upgrade ordered online ($500 deposit)
  • August 2017 Costa Mesa Service Center contacted me saying I could now schedule my Ludicrous upgrade if I was still interested
I'm still on the fence on whether to upgrade or not... but since our P85D is one of the "unicorn" P85D's with the Plus suspension I'm seriously leaning towards Ludicrous so I can have a P85DL+ :D

Elaborating...

Were you intending to characterize owners using Ludicrous (perhaps in some specific way?) as "driver abuse" of the product (Ludicrous-enabled vehicle)?

Not really, because they own the car and they can do what they want with it, even if it involves launches that eventually result in a powertrain failure. Its like dragging an ICE all the time -- eventually something fails because of the stresses put on the clutch, drive train, engine, whatever. It that the driver's fault or the fault of the manufacturer? This is not a simple matter with an easy answer. Knowing that in many circumstances this kind of thing will have to be covered under warranty, I think Tesla reduced it's own liability by getting rid of ludicrous mode.

FWIW our Insane 2015 P85D:
  • March 2015 built
  • July 2015 bought as inventory car with 2,600 miles
  • January 2017 Ludicrous Upgrade ordered online ($500 deposit)
  • August 2017 Costa Mesa Service Center contacted me saying I could now schedule my Ludicrous upgrade if I was still interested
I'm still on the fence on whether to upgrade or not... but since our P85D is one of the "unicorn" P85D's with the Plus suspension I'm seriously leaning towards Ludicrous so I can have a P85DL+ :D

What??? Tell them I'll take your upgrade package! lol

You are so lucky to still have the option. Yes, mine is also a "unicorn" as you call it. I wanted it to be a P85DL+ as well. :)

So just had my luda upgrade done... I'd booked my appointment about 2 weeks ago, on the day of drop off the SC informed me that they no longer offer the upgrade but were able to honour mine as I'd purchased it RIGHT when it became available (2 yrs ago?).

So overall I think the upgrades are no longer available.

And yeah I've got the unicorn P85DL+ :)

Reactions: BrokerDon
So just had my luda upgrade done... I'd booked my appointment about 2 weeks ago, on the day of drop off the SC informed me that they no longer offer the upgrade but were able to honour mine as I'd purchased it RIGHT when it became available (2 yrs ago?).

So overall I think the upgrades are no longer available.

And yeah I've got the unicorn P85DL+ :)

Awesome! Congrats! So what is your verdict? Is there a noticeable difference, or have you had a chance to play with it yet? You're probably already covered in snow up there. lol

Reactions: BrokerDon
Awesome! Congrats! So what is your verdict? Is there a noticeable difference, or have you had a chance to play with it yet? You're probably already covered in snow up there. lol

I'm in the same situation. Ordered my Ludicrous upgrade for our P85D+ a couple of years ago... and our local Service Center called me 2 months ago and asked if I still wanted mine...

So I'm also anxious to hear Sundoc's Ludi upgrade report too! :cool:

So folks.... in at nutshell... do it!

I've got no idea what I was waiting for! Haven't been able to fully test 0-60 times, but the overall increase in passing power and useable street power is WELL worth it.

I'd read anecdotal reports from other users saying the car is just different after the upgrade, I've gotta say I'm hand down in that camp. All across the power band there is palpable increase.

So for anyone out there, who is still eligible to get the Luda upgrade done, get off the fence and jump firmly on this side.

As for the snow... getting there soon :) had a wet snow/rain mix last weekend and a light dusting on the cars (incidentally I had a loaner X and can see how the falcon wing doors could be a pain in the heavy snow)

It does seem like they realized Ludicrous mode was too stressful on the powertrain (mostly the 90kWh packs) and have been trying to phase it out but removing it from CPO cars and no longer offering the option to upgrade. With that being said, this systematic purge of 85 and 90 Ludicrous cars has been happening longer than the Arizona case.
I purchased a CPO P85D in october 2017 (CA car, AZ delivery). It wasn't listed as ludicrous, however when I checked with the sales associate (after putting down a deposit), he confirmed that my car was in fact upgrade to ludicrous, and that it would remain in place when I took delivery. I'm happy to say that when I got the car the ludicrous upgrade was still in place. So they're not taking the upgrade off of all CPO P85Ds