Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There had been some questions about what Tesla would do with with Model S performance vehicles that were not purchased with ludicrous mode when it was a $20k option?

Well turns out they updated us, at least on my car, for free. I was just scrolling through the driving menu, and I no longer have insane and insane+ mode and now have ludicrous and ludicrous + mode.

I haven't received any additional software updates that I am aware of.

Now if I could only get chess :)

Reactions: St Charles
There had been some questions about what Tesla would do with with Model S performance vehicles that were not purchased with ludicrous mode when it was a $20k option?

Well turns out they updated us, at least on my car, for free. I was just scrolling through the driving menu, and I no longer have insane and insane+ mode and now have ludicrous and ludicrous + mode.

When did you purchase your vehicle? I got my performance X on 6/28, didn’t buy the ludicrous option at the time and 2 weeks later was included.

Wow. That’s awesome. I was wondering about that. I had actually called my OA right after that announcement and he said he would lookinto it. Did you call anyone or it was just there? Possible it’s just a mistake in your benefit, or have you heard others as well.

I asked the main area Tesla location if they had heard anything and they had not, and promised to get back to me. I also sent in a support email to Tesla corporate asking them now with ludicrous being included in the performance package would their be an upgrade route for people who opted not to buy it? I still haven't heard back, but mysteriously it was on the car today.

I received the latest software update about 4-5 days ago, and I definitely did not receive the update as part of that. I believe this happened over the last 24 hours or so.

I asked the main area Tesla location if they had heard anything and they had not, and promised to get back to me. I also sent in a support email to Tesla corporate asking them now with ludicrous being included in the performance package would their be an upgrade route for people who opted not to buy it? I still haven't heard back, but mysteriously it was on the car today.

I received the latest software update about 4-5 days ago, and I definitely did not receive the update as part of that. I believe this happened over the last 24 hours or so.
Hmmm. My X Is actually bricked at the moment And stuck in my driveway. It only has 48 miles on it and when I called tesla roadside service last night they looked at the logs and said the 12 V battery might be dead They are coming out today to try and jump it if not they will have to tow it to a service center I’m wondering if it was getting this update and that’s what froze out my car the only thing that works or the doors and lights both screens are black and the car won’t start at all. Could you PM me those tesla numbers you called in case it’s not on there so I can call them as well and ask

Everybody should know not to buy an extra software features from Tesla. Take what comes with the car without checking any extra boxes, thank you very much, and just say no to any software options at check-out time. Especially when they're future options (promises).

It's like buying carpet protection or rust inhibitor from the salesman in the old fashioned dealerships.

My two cents. We have FSD on our Model 3, and are replacing an older Audi A4 with a new Model 3, and I will probably not add FSD for $6k right now.

There may very well be some things in this upcoming release that moves the needle. The standard Auto Pilot right now will do everything you need less summon which right now isn't a big deal, and while the auto park at times can be great, overall it is still a major work in progress IMO.

There are a few neat things navigate on autopilot will do on approved roads that the standard auto pilot will not do. If spending the money now is a tough call then I would wait, if you want to be on the bleeding edge and it won't give you much angst then I would go with it.

I thought ludicrous was a hardware and software feature. Should I have gotten the 2019 p100d without ludicrous? I'm curious where my 20k went, and if I should have not gotten it if it came through software for free

I thought ludicrous was a hardware and software feature. Should I have gotten the 2019 p100d without ludicrous? I'm curious where my 20k went, and if I should have not gotten it if it came through software for free

There was a time where Ludicrous did require a hardware change (such as P85D's with the pyrofuses) but as far as I know every P100D is capable of Ludicrous.

So your money went to the same place your money goes to if you order a car with FSD from Tesla today.

I don't think Tesla is doing this. Ludicrous is not free on the new performance cars. It's bundled with performance, but it adds $3990 to the previous performance price.

Besides, if they were going to do that, they should also refund the $20,000 people paid during that time period. I just don't think that's going to happen.

Last edited:
FSD is (wll be?) full self driving autopilot.

In the past, part of the up charge for ludicrous included the pyro fuse and an inconel contactor, but most of it can be attributed to increased warranty claims and the fact that they know you need it.
Thank you.

I've been reading articles the last couple hours, and I came across this one...

I don't understand most of the article, but I'll try to re-read it over and over until I understand more.

Your Guide To Deciding If Tesla 'Full Self Driving' Is Worth Buying Today

Somehow, Tesla keeps me coming back to Tesla.com looking at all the different changes. Probably my favor i don't have the extra 100k for approx a year or two ago, same car was 150k I will have another S again while the wife keeps her X

I just happened to check my Tesla account page, and now listed under my options it’s says Ludicrous. All the other options I purchased are still there FSD, Autopilot, PUP. But I did not buy at time of purchase and missed the included ludicrous by two weeks. Does this mean they activated it and I should be seeing it in the vehicle soon? I kinda don’t want to ask them in case it’s a mistake lol. Just wondering if they have decided to give it to people now.