Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous upgrade after delivery costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This brings up a good question. Is the higher power BUS installed by default in the MX P90D? If it is then wouldn't the upgrade only require a software change to be enabled? I've heard in the MS there was the need for an actual part upgrade to get ludicrous, hence the "labor charge" disclaimer. Aside from the "labor" to change to the P90D badge what else is there?

I was at a SC the other day and they had the battery out of an S and asked what they were doing. They were upgrading to Ludicrous. There is obviously a hardware change involved. I have read that the contactors need changed out.

Was that a P85 getting the upgrade, or a P90?

AFAIK, the only labor involved for the P90 would be adding the underscore, and a few minutes changing the software, no?

Was that a P85 getting the upgrade, or a P90?

AFAIK, the only labor involved for the P90 would be adding the underscore, and a few minutes changing the software, no?
This is my understanding as well. Especially considering there have been a couple reports by owners taking delivery (or was it just one by @Darryl?) that said they had Ludicrous turned on on their P90D's by mistake at delivery and they just plugged it into a computer and switched it off.

This is my understanding as well. Especially considering there have been a couple reports by owners taking delivery (or was it just one by @Darryl?) that said they had Ludicrous turned on on their P90D's by mistake at delivery and they just plugged it into a computer and switched it off.

That does not mean that all P90D's have the 'better' parts, it just means that that one P90D was built with them and that they were able to turn off the feature via software. If HE ever wants to upgrade then it would just be a software switch.

Don't know about the Model S P90s, but I was told when I picked up my Signature P90D that all P90Ds had the hardware already installed. The reason I was told this was that mine had Ludicrous enabled and when I commented on it they had a tech hook up a laptop to a port under the tablet and deactivate it. The only other change was to switch the badge on the back of the car. Now maybe he meant all Signature X's had it installed, but that is not what he said. And I know of at least two other people who mentioned they had Ludicrous installed even though they hadn't ordered it. I believe this is the same as autopilot where the hardware is installed but if you don't order that option it is software disabled except for the emergency braking.

Reactions: goneskiian
That does not mean that all P90D's have the 'better' parts, it just means that that one P90D was built with them and that they were able to turn off the feature via software. If HE ever wants to upgrade then it would just be a software switch.

Don't know about the Model S P90s, but I was told when I picked up my Signature P90D that all P90Ds had the hardware already installed. The reason I was told this was that mine had Ludicrous enabled and when I commented on it they had a tech hook up a laptop to a port under the tablet and deactivate it. The only other change was to switch the badge on the back of the car. Now maybe he meant all Signature X's had it installed, but that is not what he said. And I know of at least two other people who mentioned they had Ludicrous installed even though they hadn't ordered it. I believe this is the same as autopilot where the hardware is installed but if you don't order that option it is software disabled except for the emergency braking.

It's true for any S P90D now, so expect it to be true for X.
How about them apples? :p:D;)

Makes me want to upgrade to a P now. Hmmmm, might still have to pull that trigger.

I can say beyond any shadow of a shadow's ass of a doubt, that had I bought a P90D, and discovered that it was a actually P90D with Ludicrous, a $10,000.00 option, I would not have said a damn thing to anybody.

Your post now makes me wonder just how many P90Ds out there might actually be P90Ds that nobody except for the owner knows about.