Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Cruise Control Settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A curiosity I have is when the car is on a 60mph limit road and happily carries on into a corner that ideally requires a more moderate speed. I've done this with a corner that I know well enough that I decided to let the car take me round at 60. The car took the corner adequately but gave itself a fright and reduced speed after the corner when the chance of a problem had already passed! I have only rarely found that the car sets an appropriate lower speed before the corner. The only time it does this properly is when following another car driven by a human so we just follow his lead.

Reactions: drewpost
How do I stop the M3 speeding up when it thinks (incorrectly) that the speed limit has changed or is higher than it actually is??

When you engage Cruise Control it wants to attain the speed limit. There is no option to engage "at current road speed". Either be behind another vehicle, or keep your foot on accelerator, until you have adjusted Cruise Control Speed to your preference.

I have no idea if this is accurate, its my interpretation of what I think happens:

If you are on Cruise Control at, say, 60, and come into a 40 the car will slow down (when the 40 appear son the dash [assuming the GPS database is correct ...]), you then go into a 30 and it slows to 30 again, you come out of the 30 into a 40 and it speeds up .. and you come out of the 40 and it speeds up again (to 60). The speeding up, as you come out of the Limit, may be inappropriate and can be alarming!

If you were parked in the 30, and set off from there, there would be no speed increase when you entered the 40 nor when you entered the 60. You can TAP on the Speed Symbol on the screen to set the speed to that (i.e. when the speed limit changes but the car doesn't)

If I am on a motorway at 70 then the car never changes speed (AP2 won't read the speed limits like AP1 did, but I don't remember iAP2 changing for a permanent fixed lower speed, unlike how it behaves on rural/town roads).

That's what I think happens ...

When you engage Cruise Control it wants to attain the speed limit. There is no option to engage "at current road speed". Either be behind another vehicle, or keep your foot on accelerator, until you have adjusted Cruise Control Speed to your preference.

I have no idea if this is accurate, its my interpretation of what I think happens:

If you are on Cruise Control at, say, 60, and come into a 40 the car will slow down (when the 40 appear son the dash [assuming the GPS database is correct ...]), you then go into a 30 and it slows to 30 again, you come out of the 30 into a 40 and it speeds up .. and you come out of the 40 and it speeds up again (to 60). The speeding up, as you come out of the Limit, may be inappropriate and can be alarming!

If you were parked in the 30, and set off from there, there would be no speed increase when you entered the 40 nor when you entered the 60. You can TAP on the Speed Symbol on the screen to set the speed to that (i.e. when the speed limit changes but the car doesn't)

If I am on a motorway at 70 then the car never changes speed (AP2 won't read the speed limits like AP1 did, but I don't remember iAP2 changing for a permanent fixed lower speed, unlike how it behaves on rural/town roads).

That's what I think happens ...

My M3 has never changed target speed based on a change in speed limit - it will blast through any speed limit changes and continue at the previously set target speed.

if there's a setting I need to enable, someone let me know, but the current user manual says it doesn't react to speed limit changes either.

the only time it has reduced speed on its own is on an exit slip on approach to a roundabout give-way line coming to the end of NoA. This isn't based on speed limit changing it's just a gradual reduction in the target speed (coinciding with a spinning blue circle around the target speed as it reduces 65 > 45 > 35 > etc)

Reactions: MrBadger
My M3 has never changed target speed based on a change in speed limit - it will blast through any speed limit changes and continue at the previously set target speed.

Repeating what I said, but just to double check:

If i am on Dual Carriageway (not Motorway as said above, i.e. any 70 MPH road) it doesn't change for a lower speed limit. (AP1 used to do that whenever it saw a speed limit sign, including the one on the A1 heading South towards Peterborough which has "In 1/2 a mile" under it :) )

But on a 60 MPH A-Road, or in e.g. a 40 MPH, and I encounter a lower speed limit, then it reduces speed

I'm hazy on the difference between the two ... so I will retest this. Also not sure if this is Cruise or only if on AP. I very rarely use AP on anything other than Dual Carriageway, so am not likely to notice changes on rural roads / town speed limits (following updates etc.)

Not very useful / relevant, but in case of interest:

In MS LR yesterday. Only my rural opportunity was a single 40 MPH village.

Engaged Cruise at 60 MPG approaching village. I was following traffic at around 40 MPH anyway.

Came past village limit, the (40) symbol appeared, but cruise stayed at 60 (+ offset).

I engaged AP and cruise immediately dropped to 40 (+ offset).

Village not suitable for AP so I cancelled it leaving Cruise on. Came out of the 40 and cruise stayed at 40. Dashboard showed (60) symbol and long-pull of cruise stalk increased to that (as expected).