Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 damage and repair options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I accidentally scratched my rear right panel in a parking lot against a concrete wall. Luckily only the rear side is damaged as shown in photos. How much would something like this to be fixed? Also, is it better to claim it through insurance (i have first time forgiveness) if so, can i work with the insurer (TD) to have OEM part installed or try to fix it out of pocket?

Attachments

• IMG_1908.jpeg
    IMG_1908.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1909.jpeg
    IMG_1909.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1911.jpeg
    IMG_1911.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1910.jpeg
    IMG_1910.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 92
Ouch. Probably cheapest to get a new door and have it painted - repair would be a lot of work. I'd suggest go find a Tesla-approved bodyshop and ask for a price, and get quotes from a couple of other places. I'd guess it will cost $3-5000 in parts and labour, especially if the wheel arch needs work too (that might compound/polish out with a bit of touch-up, hard to tell with photos). If you can find a scrap yard white door that matches (they will exist - so many white Teslas!), it could be a lot cheaper - all depends how much leg work you want to put in.

Your call on insurance - having a claim WILL increase your premiums and you'll need to declare it when getting a quote with any other company, which will then increase the price - basically you will end up paying back in premiums a good portion of what you got for the claim. Unless it's astronomically expensive to fix, I'd just pay for it myself - expensive lesson learned.

Ouch. Probably cheapest to get a new door and have it painted - repair would be a lot of work. I'd suggest go find a Tesla-approved bodyshop and ask for a price, and get quotes from a couple of other places. I'd guess it will cost $3-5000 in parts and labour, especially if the wheel arch needs work too (that might compound/polish out with a bit of touch-up, hard to tell with photos). If you can find a scrap yard white door that matches (they will exist - so many white Teslas!), it could be a lot cheaper - all depends how much leg work you want to put in.

Your call on insurance - having a claim WILL increase your premiums and you'll need to declare it when getting a quote with any other company, which will then increase the price - basically you will end up paying back in premiums a good portion of what you got for the claim. Unless it's astronomically expensive to fix, I'd just pay for it myself - expensive lesson learned.
Thanks. I’d probably need to go through insurance. My concern is the insurer would most likely direct me to their preferred shop which i’m not sure whether they will be tesla certified. If they are not, how would they get the oem parts for replacement?