Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 hesitates on left turns. Not on autopilot!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On some left turns my car hesitates for 2-3 seconds when I push the accelerator. it's weird. (this is NOT on autopilot). The white "power bar" indicates current flowing through the motor but the car just coasts for a few seconds and then goes. Very disturbing when I'm turning left across traffic and cars are coming. Anybody else had this problem?

1664888735338.png

Traction and Stability control are very aggressive on our cars. When your steering wheel is turned more than just a bit, for example when stopped at a T junction and trying to merge quickly, power will be reduced. That obviously reduces the chances of tire slip but it's annoying. Happened to me on a few occasions. The only thing you can do is go a bit straight, turn as quickly as you can and then accelerate hard as you straighten the wheel. Instead of accelerating while turning, you must turn and accelerate in a mostly straight line.
I'd love this to be adjustable.

Reactions: tm1v2 and RenMan68
Traction and Stability control are very aggressive on our cars. When your steering wheel is turned more than just a bit, for example when stopped at a T junction and trying to merge quickly, power will be reduced. That obviously reduces the chances of tire slip but it's annoying. Happened to me on a few occasions. The only thing you can do is go a bit straight, turn as quickly as you can and then accelerate hard as you straighten the wheel. Instead of accelerating while turning, you must turn and accelerate in a mostly straight line.
I'd love this to be adjustable.
Interesting thought. I’ll try to replicate the problem with starting from a stop with the wheel turned sharply. Thanks!

Reactions: GtiMart
As far as I know my car has behaved that way since I've had it, almost 3 years now. I don't think a recent software update has changed any of this... but it's also not something I experience regularly. It only really occurs when you need to merge fast at a T. I don't feel it as much when I turn right since it's a sharp turn and I accelerate after turning. I feel it more when I turn left at a T since that is a a wider turn where I would typically accelerate harder while turning (less sharply).

Reactions: RenMan68
Hmmm...I have to make a sharp left hand turn out of my driveway and have never had this problem. I also frequently make a sharp left hand turn elsewhere in my town, stopping first to let oncoming traffic pass me by. Again, I've never had this problem. I have a 2020 M3LR with 15,600 miles on it. If it were me, I'd make an appointment to get this checked out.

Find somewhere safe, stop, and punch the throttle while your steering wheel is turned. I'm curious to hear what your feeling is of the amount of power delivered vs how much you pressed the pedal. I'll try to test it again if I can but from memory, it's lower enough to be a problem when you expect full power.

Reactions: tm1v2
Well, it seems to be less of an issue than before. I can get the tires to squeal a bit when launching it relatively hard with the wheel partly turned now. The car does give me a lot of power in that situation, more than I remember. I'm pretty sure a couple years ago that would not have worked.
Now, I have the acceleration boost on my LR AWD, and I did not have it in the first few months of ownership. It's possible that the boost changed the traction and stability control mappings, either initially or in a later update...

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and RenMan68