Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 no longer will connect to my wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Very strange. I was wondering why I haven’t yet received the 2019.32.1 update, so I checked and saw my WiFi was not showing on the M3 UI. My 6/19 build M3 recently decided it no longer wants to connect to my WiFi network. Current firmware is 2019.32. Tried double scroll wheel reboot and it still refuses to connect on the 2G band. All other devices connect find and signal strength in the garage is strong. Thoughts?

yea, one thought that sometimes works. Try "forgetting" that network in the car and then reconnecting to it (selecting it and re-enter password). There is an odd quirk that sometimes (rarely) happens that a guy at the factory told me about.
Good luck and I will be interested to know how you get it going again.

yea, one thought that sometimes works. Try "forgetting" that network in the car and then reconnecting to it (selecting it and re-enter password). There is an odd quirk that sometimes (rarely) happens that a guy at the factory told me about.
Tried that. When I add it back and input the password, it rejects and says it can’t connect to that network. Never had this BS with any of our Subaru’s. Since 2015, not one of them ever disconnected from the WiFi. Too fickle this Tesla is.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Very strange. I was wondering why I haven’t yet received the 2019.32.1 update, so I checked and saw my WiFi was not showing on the M3 UI. My 6/19 build M3 recently decided it no longer wants to connect to my WiFi network. Current firmware is 2019.32. Tried double scroll wheel reboot and it still refuses to connect on the 2G band. All other devices connect find and signal strength in the garage is strong. Thoughts?

Reboot the router.

Reactions: 804son
Tried that. When I add it back and input the password, it rejects and says it can’t connect to that network. Never had this BS with any of our Subaru’s. Since 2015, not one of them ever disconnected from the WiFi. Too fickle this Tesla is.
Hmmm ok. I have never had to do the suggestion I made. Just heard about it. In fact in the 3 years of having the X, I have never seen it disconnect from my router (Google mesh system).

I wouldn't want to blame the router, yet to say one of my friends was having trouble with his S disconnecting although other devices like his doorbell worked fine. It was some issue with his S not being able to reconnect when his router locked up, then the router discovered it locked up and rebooted itself, but his S couldn't automatically reconnect after that reboot. He got frustrated with his router locking up and replaced it with another one (eero I believe) and never had another problem in the last 8 months. Of course, there are a whole lot of variables as you know. I told him that a Tesla firmware update might have helped also, so he will likely never know if t was just his router, or the Tesla, or some combination.

Last edited:
Hmm... Now you have me getting up from the den and going out to the garage to check... Lately I've noticed that my Tesla phone app takes forever to wake up and get the status from the car... I have the exact same firmware as you.

Edit: Now I’m sitting in the car waiting for it to re-boot. Just about half the time when I get in the car the MCU re-boots ever since installing.32.0.

Well, mine is connecting to the house WiFi, but not how it *should* be.

Two weeks ago I installed a WiFi extender, giving it a new SSID and set the car up to connect to it. At the time, I specifically told it to forget the other SSID it had been connecting to previously.

Whadya know... the car is connected to the old SSID.

I had it forget the old one, connected to the new one, then pressed the “Power Off” button on the car, hoping to do a deeper system reset than the two steering wheel button method.

Waited three minutes, then stepped on the brake. Screen came up and it’s connected to the correct SSID.

Hopefully, doing a full “Power Off” will get rid of all the bugs and MCU re-boots I’ve had with .32

So yeah, you aren’t the only one experiencing wonkiness with .32.0. I’ve been anxiously awaiting the “Update Available” notification for .32.1.

I had the same problem. I have my network hidden by default, turns out M3 can't connect to hidden networks for some reason. Made the network visible, and it connected fine.
Hiding a network really doesn't help much. Lots of programs out there to identify them. It also may make some of the devices that use them "leaky" ad spread your wifi name as they search for the network.

I have the same (or close) model router. Every once in a while it can have similar connection issues with other devices, but not the Tesla so far. A reboot or power cycle has always resolved the connection issue. Just FYI
I also have an EA7500 as well. Never have to reboot the router or modem on my Subaru’s, as they never disconnect or get lost like this Tesla does. Same for our many other cameras, door bells, and other devices - only this Tesla is struggling. Not the network equipment...

Honest question: does Model 3 support 802.11 n/ac standards? The reason I am asking is that on my Model S I had to explicitly disable the SSID I created for Tesla on 5 GHz channel (Default for many routers/APs is to enable it on both 2.4 and 5GHz).

Limiting it to 2.4 GHz in legacy/compatibility mode (802.11 b/g) solved the issued where it was either refusing to connect altogether or constantly flipping between LTE and WiFi (never staying connected for more than 15 seconds).

Honest question: does Model 3 support 802.11 n/ac standards? The reason I am asking is that on my Model S I had to explicitly disable the SSID I created for Tesla on 5 GHz channel (Default for many routers/APs is to enable it on both 2.4 and 5GHz).

Limiting it to 2.4 GHz in legacy/compatibility mode (802.11 b/g) solved the issued where it was either refusing to connect altogether or constantly flipping between LTE and WiFi (never staying connected for more than 15 seconds).
It simply amazes me that for a Tesla, we have to dumb down our network - when even my cheap Chinese made smart light bulbs have no troubles at all. Unreal, if you really think about it.

Reactions: arcus