Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3: No off button for audio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

drtimhill

Apr 25, 2019
Seattle
So I'm loving my new model 3, and the new audio system. But sometimes I just like driving without music. But so far as I can find there is no OFF button for audio? The nearest seems to be clicking the left steering wheel control to mute audio. But does that (for example) stop streaming from my phone?

It's minor, but it's got me confused .. have I missed something obvious?

--Tim

Pressing the left steering wheel control acts as a PAUSE button on streaming audio. Pressing the button again RESUMES streaming audio [from where you left off, in the case of song, podcast, and audiobook playback.] So yes, pressing the left steering control stops the streaming, although, depending on the streaming app, your phone may continue to use cellular data to buffer the rest of the current song, podcast, or audiobook.

Last edited:
So I'm loving my new model 3, and the new audio system. But sometimes I just like driving without music. But so far as I can find there is no OFF button for audio? The nearest seems to be clicking the left steering wheel control to mute audio. But does that (for example) stop streaming from my phone?

It's minor, but it's got me confused .. have I missed something obvious?

--Tim
I just lower the volume to 0 with the left scroll wheel.

Finding there’s no physical off button. That floored me. I didn’t realize there was no off bottom for audio like other cars as well.
Off is OFF and pushing the scroll wheel or Pause button is OFF. Why would Tesla add ONE physical button (on the dash????) to cut the audio on/off? My Cadillac ELR didn't have a physical on/off button but only a Mute button. Also find the physical on/off button to the audio player on your phone.

I can't speak for others but I for one DID read the manual .. all of it. What the manual says is that pressing the left scroll wheel MUTES the sound. It doesnt make it clear if streaming is continuing but with sound turned off, or if the sound system is paused. Hence my original post.

I can't speak for others but I for one DID read the manual .. all of it. What the manual says is that pressing the left scroll wheel MUTES the sound. It doesnt make it clear if streaming is continuing but with sound turned off, or if the sound system is paused. Hence my original post.
Yea a little bit of a wording problem. If it said it Pauses that might be confusing to people listening to FM. If you look the Music screen you will see the Play/Pause button change as you press the scroll wheel.