Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 performance with 19" sport wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering getting the Model 3 Performance Edition. The configurator doesn't offer 19" sport wheels as an option but rather offers 20" as part of the $5000 Performance Package. I don't want 20" and I don't want the PP.

Is there any way to get Tesla to offer the 19" sport wheels with the M3P? Ask nicely?

If the answer is no, how does one do a post sale swap?
How hard is this? I'd have 18" aero and want 19" sport.

I am in the same boat, I ordered the p and want everything that comes with it minus the 20" wheels and pilot tires. There are no good options for tires on the 20" wheel, at least not to autocross with. People that order the 20" wheels should be aware that the summer tires are just that, you cannot expose them to cold weather. (The Pilot Sport 4S excels in warm dry and wet conditions, so like all Max Performance Summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.) It would be nice if Tesla let us put the 19" wheel on the P as there are much better tire options in that wheel size.

I'm considering getting the Model 3 Performance Edition. The configurator doesn't offer 19" sport wheels as an option but rather offers 20" as part of the $5000 Performance Package. I don't want 20" and I don't want the PP.

Is there any way to get Tesla to offer the 19" sport wheels with the M3P? Ask nicely?

If the answer is no, how does one do a post sale swap?
How hard is this? I'd have 18" aero and want 19" sport.

Have you called and asked a rep? If so, report back here as many of us have this same question. One of the few things holding me back from the p upgrade.

I will call and ask but I went ahead and ordered these.
TSW Tesla Model 3 19" Nurburgring Wheels with 235/40R19 Michelin Primacy MXM4 Tires.
I guess I will just sell the 20" wheels and tires that come with the car, I'm sure someone will want them.

Reactions: EVChris
Well, I'll be at the factory store in Fremont on Tuesday and I'll ask nicely, like with a credit card in hand. I definitely don't want the $5000 Performance Package; I just don't want it. I don't want to have to sell the aero wheels either. That would mean that I'd be paying $72,000 for the privilege of getting into the wheel reselling business.

Last edited:
i'm also in your shoes and wished they offered the 19" OE wheels as I don't particularly care for the aero wheels and I didn't want the 30+pound 20" wheels either! I wouldn't mind a swap

Do you still get the better brakes without the PP? Do the 19s fit on with the performance brakes?

Brakes are the same for AWD and P-AWD (without Performance upgrade)

Haven’t heard of anyone actually installing the 19s over the performance upgrade brakes, but someone measured the gap between the Brembo calipers and the 20s to be at least the size of a quarter, which means the diameter of the 19s shouldn’t be a problem.

• Helpful
So I went to the Tesla Fremont Store. It was late in the day, 6:30. The sales person said that she didn't know how to do this but that sending a note to [email protected] might get an answer. So that's what I'm doing and that's what I'd suggest.

They have been modifying configurations. So for instance the white interior used to be Performance Edition only and now it's available on the AWD version.

I'm going to complain in my email that I really don't want the Performance Upgrade Package. You can't get Michelin Primacy for the 20" 235/35/20 wheels and I can't drive the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S to Tahoe in the winter. I also don't want to buy the Aeros and then have to sell them. Another thing is that if I did by the Aero then Tesla wouldn't be getting any of the $1500 upcharge.

Any other complaints? This is the one issue that keeps me from buying a Performance Edition 3.

Last edited:
I happened to have a RWD 3 that was being sold to make room for the new one so easy - but as others have said, I'm sure they will sell the rims but the package now is only with snows...

Picked up new car with old car @Freemont - drove round the corner (more or less) to service and the swap was done including reprogramming TPMS sensors.

• Helpful
I happened to have a RWD 3 that was being sold to make room for the new one so easy - but as others have said, I'm sure they will sell the rims but the package now is only with snows...

Picked up new car with old car @Freemont - drove round the corner (more or less) to service and the swap was done including reprogramming TPMS sensors.

How did you manage this? Did you pay the $1500 upcharge? What happened to the Aeros?

The Pilot Sport gets a rougher ride and wears faster. Track tire.
I'd get the Aeros and swap them aftermarket before I'd get the PUP but that's me.
Then if I went aftermarket, I'd revisit Michelin altogether.
Honestly though, if it's only a couple hundred bucks, I'd rather just deal with the Tesla Service Center
which is why I'd really prefer if Tesla added 19" to their Performance configuration.

Last edited:
How did you manage this? Did you pay the $1500 upcharge? What happened to the Aeros?

The way we did this took a little juggling just cause of how busy Tesla is ... the 'old' car was (is now) sold and was to be dropped off Friday early afternoon. New car being picked up at 11:30 ish - so a contact at Tesla knew I was coming...

Old car had the sport rims, new one the standard OEM 18 because I didn't do the plus with 20" rims etc. Got to service, they did the swap and then dropped the old car off...