Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Rear-ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 was rear ended and I still have yet to know the extent of damages or repairs cost. Most damage was done to the mid of trunk to one corner of the car. My trunk won't close down all the way and most damage seems to been the lower body of the car. I have full coverage Tesla insurance, but am wondering for those who have been in similar situations how long did it take you to get your car back from repairs and what the costs were? Being so close to a Tesla factory I'm hoping I don't have to wait months before getting my car back.

Last year, a big SUV backed into my parked M3LR doing about 15 mph. The suv just had a dimple in it. I wound up needing new right and left front quarter panels, new headlight assemblies, a new frunk lid, a new front bumper, new crash cans and other bits and pieces. I brought the car to a Tesla approved body shop (that's essential - don't go to anyone who isn't authorized by Tesla). I got an estimate of about $6200 but they told me they couldn't get to it for at least two weeks. It was drivable so I could deal with that. About two and a half weeks later they told me I could bring it in, which I did the next day. From that point until I picked it up again was just over 6 weeks, and the final bill came to just over $9200. I don't have Tesla insurance but had no problems with my insurance company. They paid up without complaint. And the car looks and feels as good as new. One cool thing is that Tesla sent me emails to keep me up to date on the parts ordered, when they expected to ship, when the did ship and when they arrived at the Collision center. So, 6 weeks in the shop for me, whereas a friend with a Chevy pickup, that hit a tree at a slow speed - no air bag went off - took 3 months to be repaired due to supply chain issues. There were really no issues like that in my case.

Last year, a big SUV backed into my parked M3LR doing about 15 mph. The suv just had a dimple in it. I wound up needing new right and left front quarter panels, new headlight assemblies, a new frunk lid, a new front bumper, new crash cans and other bits and pieces. I brought the car to a Tesla approved body shop (that's essential - don't go to anyone who isn't authorized by Tesla). I got an estimate of about $6200 but they told me they couldn't get to it for at least two weeks. It was drivable so I could deal with that. About two and a half weeks later they told me I could bring it in, which I did the next day. From that point until I picked it up again was just over 6 weeks, and the final bill came to just over $9200. I don't have Tesla insurance but had no problems with my insurance company. They paid up without complaint. And the car looks and feels as good as new. One cool thing is that Tesla sent me emails to keep me up to date on the parts ordered, when they expected to ship, when the did ship and when they arrived at the Collision center. So, 6 weeks in the shop for me, whereas a friend with a Chevy pickup, that hit a tree at a slow speed - no air bag went off - took 3 months to be repaired due to supply chain issues. There were really no issues like that in my case.
I'm hoping my car is repairable, I've been reading horror stories about how long the repairs can take and how even minor accidents can cause the car to be totaled...:(

Did the rear quarter panel get damaged or just the bumper and trunk? Rear quarter panel work will take much longer since it's a big job.
Its looking like just the bumper and trunk. My fear is damage to the battery since somehow the person at fault caused most damage to the lower portion of the bumper. Hoping that is not the case and it will be in the shop just a couple of weeks.

Its looking like just the bumper and trunk. My fear is damage to the battery since somehow the person at fault caused most damage to the lower portion of the bumper. Hoping that is not the case and it will be in the shop just a couple of weeks.
I seriously doubt the battery was damaged. The motor would have been destroyed first since it sits behind the battery. I think you are going to be in good shape. If the rear quarter panels are fine, this should be an easy repair for them. Don't worry.

<sigh> My M3 just got rear ended yesterday so I've joined the club. Scheduled a collision repair appointment at the Tesla Oakville Collision Centre and the first available appointment slot was 5 December. So over a month before they'll even start looking at my car. :(

On the one hand, I want to stick with Tesla for the repairs but there's a small part of me that is willing to try one of the authorized 3rd party repair centres. But I don't know if that's a wise decision.

<sigh> My M3 just got rear ended yesterday so I've joined the club. Scheduled a collision repair appointment at the Tesla Oakville Collision Centre and the first available appointment slot was 5 December. So over a month before they'll even start looking at my car. :(

On the one hand, I want to stick with Tesla for the repairs but there's a small part of me that is willing to try one of the authorized 3rd party repair centres. But I don't know if that's a wise decision.
The 3rd party Tesla authorized shop I dealt with did a great job.

I’d probably wait. parts are hard to come by. I’m still waiting on a rear bumper. Ugghhhh

I got rear ended at a red light 2 days ago- person didn't even slow down... attempted to schedule with Tesla for repairs, who said they wont do collision work. They guided me to an approved 3rd party collision place. So as long as it's one of their certified places, you're good- there's a search on their website you can use.

Collision shop quoted me 4-6 months for the repair. And they can't even take it until late December. Hate to drive it around like this, but will be worse to be without for half a year. 🙄 so sad...

Attachments

• 20221109_084502.jpg
    20221109_084502.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Informative
Reactions: XPsionic and KenC
I've opted to stick with Tesla. The repairs to my vehicle are going to be quite extensive and I want to ensure that it's being done by Tesla themselves. Sadly, my car isn't drivable and it's now sitting in the Tesla Collision Centre's lot awaiting teardown. In the meantime, I'm stuck in a rental; a Kia Soul which makes me feel sadness and despair every time I get in it.

I miss my Tesla. :(

I've opted to stick with Tesla. The repairs to my vehicle are going to be quite extensive and I want to ensure that it's being done by Tesla themselves. Sadly, my car isn't drivable and it's now sitting in the Tesla Collision Centre's lot awaiting teardown. In the meantime, I'm stuck in a rental; a Kia Soul which makes me feel sadness and despair every time I get in it.

I miss my Tesla. :(
Good call. I brought mine to a shop recommended by a friend. big mistake. Needless to say it’s going to Tesla middle of december

"...and I want to ensure that it's being done by Tesla themselves."
Actually, when you take your car to a Tesla authorized collision center, your repairs are not "being done by Tesla themselves." They are being done by an independently owned business whose employees have undergone the training required by Tesla to accurately do the required repairs. Having said that, I think it's essential to have all but the smallest of body work done at a Tesla authorized center because their people know the cars and have experience working on them, and they will use new parts, not parts rescued from a junk yard. I had over $9000 worth of body work done a year ago after someone backed into my parked M3. The Tesla authorized collision center did a fantastic job.

Actually, when you take your car to a Tesla authorized collision center, your repairs are not "being done by Tesla themselves." They are being done by an independently owned business whose employees have undergone the training required by Tesla to accurately do the required repairs. Having said that, I think it's essential to have all but the smallest of body work done at a Tesla authorized center because their people know the cars and have experience working on them, and they will use new parts, not parts rescued from a junk yard. I had over $9000 worth of body work done a year ago after someone backed into my parked M3. The Tesla authorized collision center did a fantastic job.
There is a ‘Tesla collision center’ about 20 min from me. Not an ‘authorized’ center.

Understood.

But to clarify: I didn't take my car to a "Tesla-authorized collision center". I took my car to the "Tesla Collision Centre" which is owned and operated by Tesla themselves.

Opening the mobile app and seeing a status of "Last seen 18 days ago" is depressing.

Understood.

But to clarify: I didn't take my car to a "Tesla-authorized collision center". I took my car to the "Tesla Collision Centre" which is owned and operated by Tesla themselves.

Opening the mobile app and seeing a status of "Last seen 18 days ago" is depressing.
Last year when I had my accident, I first took it to a Tesla Service Center - the one where I picked up the car when it was new. They told me the damage was too extensive for them to repair and gave me a list of 6 Tesla Authorized Collision Centers in MA. So now I'm wondering just what exactly a Tesla Collision Center is and what makes it different from either a Tesla Service Center or a Tesla Authorized Collision Center.