Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Road Trip parking places for sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on driving to NYC from South Florida later this month. In addition, I plan on spending 6-7 days touring across Virgina. I plan on sleeping most nights in the M3.

I have purchased the TESMAT along with the sheets and the privacy screen. I also have TravelJohn disposables (for overnight needs) and will shower at Planet Fitness when necessary. I have PlugShare and RV Parky on my phone to locate parking places but was also wondering if others have parked in unmonitored hotel parking lots of Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, etc or slept at SC stations. I obviously would try not to bring attention to myself (I’d set up the mattress elsewhere) but was wondering if others had experience with this or have any other ideas. I’m not interested in parking at RV Parks as I don’t want to be beholden to any schedule or reservation. Thanks.

I've only slept in my car once overnight. It was years ago outside of Omaha, NE in August. It wasn't a Tesla, but it was roomy and comfortable except for one key issue _ the heat and humidity! I didn't want to leave the AC on all night, with the engine idling, so I opened the windows. The mosquitos were intense. I can only imagine this will be worse anywhere along your route this summer. I know it's less of an issue running the AC all night in a Tesla than in an ICE vehicle, but still, it's gonna soak up those electrons to do so. Well, good luck anyway.

Upvote 0
I've only slept in my car once overnight. It was years ago outside of Omaha, NE in August. It wasn't a Tesla, but it was roomy and comfortable except for one key issue _ the heat and humidity! I didn't want to leave the AC on all night, with the engine idling, so I opened the windows. The mosquitos were intense. I can only imagine this will be worse anywhere along your route this summer. I know it's less of an issue running the AC all night in a Tesla than in an ICE vehicle, but still, it's gonna soak up those electrons to do so. Well, good luck anyway.
Thanks. Mosquitos won’t be an issue as the windows will be closed in the M3. I’m not concerned about the battery usage as I figure I’m saving money by not staying in hotels every night. I also don’t need it really cold, so hopefully not using too much battery overnight.

Reactions: HumanInput
Upvote 0
Hotel parking lots are private property just keep that in mind. Hope everything works out for you. I have no experience in this area.
I understand but I had a weekend trip two weeks ago (flight and rental car) and noticed, while staying at a Marriott Courtyard, that there is no security patrol of the parking lot. I then realized that is the case at any mid-range Hyatt/Hilton/Marriott I’ve stayed for years. The worst they would likely do is ask me to leave so … 🤷🏻‍♂️. I’m only there one night for 7-8 hours. I just thought it might be safer than some random Walmart/Pilot/Cracker Barrel parking lot. I’m traveling solo.

Upvote 0
In this Tesla sleeping video, this guy talks about how to find parking

Starts at 08:37

Awesome! I’ve been searching TMC and YT for this and couldn’t find anything. He addresses many of my concerns. I hadn’t thought about the sunshield for the windshield but that’s a great idea. I have fairly dark tinting on the M3 and also don’t mind sleeping with an eye mask and ear plugs, so less worried about street/lot lights, etc. Now I just need to find a good knife. 😂 Thanks for the reply!

Upvote 0
Yeah, I’d stay away from hotel parking lots. Not only are they private property (some register guest vehicles and aggressively tow unknowns) but sleeping in your car at a business which provides sleeping accommodations is on par with bringing your own food to a restaurant.

If budget allows, consider actually staying in a hotel or two with EV charging. Take a break from car camping and get a charge while you sleep. Tell them that’s specifically why you booked so they get the positive feedback.

Most WalMarts are very welcoming and have lighting as well as security patrols. The 24 hour ones are great for restroom needs. My advice is to check apps and/or call ahead (walk in) to make sure they do allow overnight use (may have specific parking area) then be a good person and buy something from the store.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I’d stay away from hotel parking lots. Not only are they private property (some register guest vehicles and aggressively tow unknowns) but sleeping in your car at a business which provides sleeping accommodations is on par with bringing your own food to a restaurant.

If budget allows, consider actually staying in a hotel or two with EV charging. Take a break from car camping and get a charge while you sleep. Tell them that’s specifically why you booked so they get the positive feedback.

Most WalMarts are very welcoming and have lighting as well as security patrols. The 24 hour ones are great for restroom needs. My advice is to check apps and/or call ahead (walk in) to make sure they do allow overnight use (may have specific parking area) then be a good person and buy something from the store.
I understand your comparison to restaurants although I think the equivalent would be me bringing a sleeping bag into the lobby and settling in for the evening. I wouldn’t stay at any property that would likely have lot security. I’ve stayed at mid-range hotels for many hundreds of nights and I feel pretty certain there is no lot security at these places. That being said, I’m beginning to get more comfortable staying with fellow campers at a Walmart/Cracker Barrell/Pilot, etc as at least there will be others around. If I’m in a hotel parking lot, I’m likely the only one out there sleeping in my car. The RV Parky app seems pretty good as does https://freecampsites.net/. I’m also planning to stay at a hotel on a couple of nights. I just really don’t want to be bothered with checking into a new hotel every night for 7-10 days.

Upvote 0
I understand your comparison to restaurants although I think the equivalent would be me bringing a sleeping bag into the lobby and settling in for the evening. I wouldn’t stay at any property that would likely have lot security. I’ve stayed at mid-range hotels for many hundreds of nights and I feel pretty certain there is no lot security at these places. That being said, I’m beginning to get more comfortable staying with fellow campers at a Walmart/Cracker Barrell/Pilot, etc as at least there will be others around. If I’m in a hotel parking lot, I’m likely the only one out there sleeping in my car. The RV Parky app seems pretty good as does https://freecampsites.net/. I’m also planning to stay at a hotel on a couple of nights. I just really don’t want to be bothered with checking into a new hotel every night for 7-10 days.

We can agree to disagree on the comparison but, unless the inn is full, sleeping in the parking lot (or manger) for free seems like it undermines the intent of the business.

Anyway, glad to hear your comfort level is increasing and that you’ll be making good use of this eminently camp friendly car!

Reactions: KenFTL
Upvote 0
I have never had and issue. I will on occasion sleep next to a supercharger in a hotel parking lot, but for a couple hours. I won't seek out hotel parking lot however. Much prefer other locations. Blackout shades are in hotels for a reason. Lit up parking lots. People like to look at Tesla's. I have had people walk up to car many times. I make it so people can't see, but if they tried and heard AC I could have and issue. Really not nice sleep, as I was always worried I would get a knocking. Plus parking lots at hotels are starting to fill up. Back 40 at another location would yield similar lights, but less prying eyes. Try to get people that are settled in for the night at the hotel. Which is a guessing game.

I have lived out of my 3 and S for a month at a time. By desire, not need. Best spots are National Forest and BLM land. No charging. No lights, less people. Little bit of work, and not as plentiful in your neck of the woods.

Reactions: KenFTL
Upvote 0
There's some YouTube channels about "Van Living." I remember one of the couples recently abandoning the concept because of all the hassles they got sleeping in their van by police and property owners. Sounds like living in your car without paying for a parking spot at a trailer park has a lot of the same feel of being homeless. Not for me.

Reactions: Physicslawyer
Upvote 0
If you are actively traveling and not touring (staying at the same place multiple nights) the super chargers along I-95 and I-75 are not busy from 11pm to 6am. Moving over one spot will disguise you and you won’t be blocking chargers.

It is hard to beat a camp site with power and showers.

if you want specific places there is watago state park and camping in the monaghalia national forest in WV. (I know you said VA but that is Eastern WV). Pocahontas County has 10 level 2 chargers. 8 of which are free.

Upvote 0
As slow as my P85 charges, I could sleep at the SC.

Sounds like a fun adventure. I'm a little envious. No need for a knife if you pack some heat, which I would definitely recommend. *sugar* is getting crazy out there, especially in areas where you are headed.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Upvote 0
Rest stops can also be good but some states make that illegal and some rest stops have dangerous reputations.
Yeah. I looked into that but all of the states on the East Coast from FL to NJ don’t allow it, likely due to the heavy traffic on the route. They will allow you 2-3 hours of sleep, but not the entire night. I also don’t think I would feel comfortable staying all night at one.

Upvote 0