Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Roof Rack Back in Stock!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed mine today and it was a very straight forward install. I will say it’s very concerning tightening the wingnuts down. There were very audible cracking noises when doing this. I can’t tell if the noises were coming from the actual towers and bars or if it was from the car.

All I know is there is no way I have the guts to put 8nm of toruque on the wing nuts like the manual states. I have a torque wrench and I set it to 4nm to start with, stepped it up to around 5nm and wasn’t brave enough to go any further than that after getting one very loud audible crack. I inspected the glass and didn’t see any damage, but the sound was horrible. I backed all 4 nuts back to 4nm and left it there, it still feels very secure.

It’s hard to get a picture of the metal attachment points under the glass, but they area pretty wide and it would be hard to miss the areas with the bolts.

View attachment 376626

I received and installed yesterday. I don't have a torque wrench. I hand tightened the nut and then used the allen wrench to tighten just one extra turn. I also heard some creaking and stopped right there. I'm sure it's nowhere close to 8 nm of torque. But the bars are completely solid. The lock locks up the nut from turning, so there is no way it's going to loosen. I also checked the glass. The metal clip does not come into contact with the glass. My guess is the metal tab that the clip slides under was making the creaking sounds.

0F30D252-4F01-4D02-8D63-7B83E5914FC5.jpeg
B729F057-3751-424E-9997-58083E9BD5C7.jpeg
The Yakima FatCat EVO 6 fits great. Carries up to 6 pairs of skis or 4 snowboards. I installed using the included clamp and there was good clearance. They also make a smaller one EVO 4 if you only need up to 4 pairs of skis or 2 snowboards. No need for the T-slot attachments; in fact, the T-slot is much more difficult to use. I wish I would have known that before I ordered.
Yakima Evo 6 FTW. Technically you can fit 6x boards across...

Also worth mentioning that you can flip the plastic wedge tool around and use it to lift up the metal tab so you have more threads to screw the bolt on...

Make sure that all bolts on somewhat on before you tighten all then down and be sure to tighten one a tad and then walk around and tighten little by little.

For anyone still waiting like i am, I ordered mine on the 7th, waited a week, emailed the orders department, and today received the following response:

"Thank you for contacting Tesla. I apologize for the delay in response. Due to the overwhelming popularity of the M3 Rood Rack when this item released and re-released it caused a backlog of orders because our system is not running in real time.
We do anticipate the remaining orders to ship within the next 2-3 weeks. We apologize for the inconvenience. "

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977