TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

M3 Roof Rack Back in Stock!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Jaywlker, Feb 5, 2019.

1. sroh

sroh Member

I received and installed yesterday. I don't have a torque wrench. I hand tightened the nut and then used the allen wrench to tighten just one extra turn. I also heard some creaking and stopped right there. I'm sure it's nowhere close to 8 nm of torque. But the bars are completely solid. The lock locks up the nut from turning, so there is no way it's going to loosen. I also checked the glass. The metal clip does not come into contact with the glass. My guess is the metal tab that the clip slides under was making the creaking sounds.

2. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

for those who have ordered and received the rack, how long was the wait?

3. mobilesuit818

mobilesuit818 Member

0F30D252-4F01-4D02-8D63-7B83E5914FC5.jpeg B729F057-3751-424E-9997-58083E9BD5C7.jpeg
    Yakima Evo 6 FTW. Technically you can fit 6x boards across...

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. mobilesuit818

mobilesuit818 Member

Also worth mentioning that you can flip the plastic wedge tool around and use it to lift up the metal tab so you have more threads to screw the bolt on...

Make sure that all bolts on somewhat on before you tighten all then down and be sure to tighten one a tad and then walk around and tighten little by little.

5. BAven8068

BAven8068 Member

I placed my order 02/05 when they first went back into stock and received it today 02/12.

• Informative x 2
  6. Lifeinabox

Lifeinabox Member

Ordered 2/5 and received 2/11.

• Informative x 1
  7. des16

des16 Member

Is there any difference between the Tesla and Yakima roof rack, and is one preferably to the other? I have a large discount from Yakima, and if they are the same, I would prefer to purchase from them.

8. TomHudson

TomHudson Member

My guess is the Tesla one is the only one that will have the proper attachment hardware, unless Yakima is offering one specifically for the Model 3.

• Like x 1
  9. TomHudson

TomHudson Member

I ordered on the 5th and it would have been here on the 11th but we had a snowstorm and FedEx pushed back the delivery a day.

10. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

hmm I ordered on the 9th and have yet to receive shipping confirmation...

11. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

I ordered on the 6th...still no Shipping confirmation. In the past, I've had things from Tesla just show up at my house with no shipping confirmation, so who knows....

12. derekmw

derekmw Member

I ordered the 6th, got email that it shipped on the next day (7th) and then received it on the 11th.

13. outdoors

outdoors Member

#53 outdoors, Feb 13, 2019 at 8:19 AM
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 8:26 AM
    Not looking like the roof rack I ordered, but a trunk mat for a Model 3. :confused:

Edit: No didn't order mat. Already have one. Sent them an email. Logistics not strong suit for the store it seems.

20190213_092624.jpg

14. derekmw

derekmw Member

Oh no! So you didn't order a trunk mat? If they let you keep that, I can take it off your hands. :p

15. Lifeinabox

Lifeinabox Member

Tie it to your roof and instarack!

16. silentcorp

silentcorp Member

Just got mine in the mail today, holy cow are these bars heavy! Wasn't expecting that, but I've never had a roof-rack before. Have an appointment tomorrow at the SC to get the thing installed, can't friggin wait!!!

17. eokie

eokie Member

How much did they charge for the installation?

18. silentcorp

silentcorp Member

I will report back in a few hours after I find out! I'm also going in for a few other things so I wonder if it'll be detailed as to how much I'm paying for each thing. We will see!

• Like x 1
  19. Lifeinabox

Lifeinabox Member

I don't know if I trust Tesla service or myself more with the install...

20. HughManatee

HughManatee Member

For anyone still waiting like i am, I ordered mine on the 7th, waited a week, emailed the orders department, and today received the following response:

"Thank you for contacting Tesla. I apologize for the delay in response. Due to the overwhelming popularity of the M3 Rood Rack when this item released and re-released it caused a backlog of orders because our system is not running in real time.
    We do anticipate the remaining orders to ship within the next 2-3 weeks. We apologize for the inconvenience. "

• Informative x 1