Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Roof Rack Back in Stock!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A lot of lower end torque wrenches are off by as much as 10%. If you slightly over-torque a fastener that is going into aluminum or steel it usually wouldn't damage the mating material. If you over-torque a fastener that is tightening up something to glass then the results can be quite a bit more expensive. I believe parts + labor to replace the glass roof exceeds $1,000.

Typical homeowner who has stuff for assembling Ikea furniture won't have a torque wrench and potentially doesn't even know what one is or how to operate it.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
A lot of lower end torque wrenches are off by as much as 10%. If you slightly over-torque a fastener that is going into aluminum or steel it usually wouldn't damage the mating material. If you over-torque a fastener that is tightening up something to glass then the results can be quite a bit more expensive. I believe parts + labor to replace the glass roof exceeds $1,000.

Typical homeowner who has stuff for assembling Ikea furniture won't have a torque wrench and potentially doesn't even know what one is or how to operate it.

3/8" Drive Newton Meter Adjustable Click-Type Fixed Ratchet Torque Wrench (5–25 N•m)

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby and Jaywlker

I'm not sure what your point is here. I own and now how to use lots of tools including torque wrenches... as well as a lot of specialized tools much more complicated than a torque wrench.

MY point was that the typical consumer even if they see a torque specification for a fastener isn't going to go acquire a torque wrench to tighten it properly when they are dealing with something as mundane as a roof rack.

I'm not sure what your point is here. I own and now how to use lots of tools including torque wrenches... as well as a lot of specialized tools much more complicated than a torque wrench.

MY point was that the typical consumer even if they see a torque specification for a fastener isn't going to go acquire a torque wrench to tighten it properly when they are dealing with something as mundane as a roof rack.[/QUOTE

Someone mentioned the 8nm torque spec and overtightening can lead to broken glass.

A solution is a torque wrench.

You inferred that a low end torque wrench may be unsuitable which is a valid point and then you made the arrogant point about how essentially everyone but yourself is a typical homeowner with stuff only for assembling IKEA furniture.

You further prove your arrogance by later inferring that you own and operate tools such as torque wrenches and have things even more complicated.

People come to forums for advice of which you provide none to this thread.

If glass breakage is a concern by not closely adhering to a torque spec an option for people is to get the right torque wrench. People can learn how to use one. It’s not hard.

People can borrow one. People can buy one and resell it.

People can go to the service center. People can go to a mechanic with the right tools. A friend.

Don’t prognosticate about the capability of others.

• Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja