TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

M3 Roof Rack Back in Stock!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Jaywlker, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Atari2600

Atari2600 Member

If you set your torque wrench to 8 nm you can still be off by 12% and be within the +- 1 nm spec. So even horrible torque wrenches will work fine.

• Like x 2
  2. derekmw

derekmw Member

Just Inno Surf rack for me. I can finally load up surf boards when going to work instead of taking the pickup if I want to surf before/after work

• Like x 1
  3. siminoff

siminoff Member

Out of stock again as of 3:00PM on 2/6/19

• Like x 1
  4. BAven8068

BAven8068 Member

I’m still able to add one to my cart. I do see that it has the “Sold Out” text in the thumbnail photo, but that was also showing last night when it first went back in stock.

• Like x 1
  5. Jaywlker

Jaywlker Member

Strange! Maybe peoples’ web browser cookies need refreshed?

6. sroh

sroh Member

I'm doing the same. Did you also order the T-slot adapters?

7. Lunares

Lunares Member

Yep, need those for teslas since it is a tslot

8. sroh

sroh Member

Thanks Lunares! This is the first time I'm subject to a T-slot rack. The Fat Cat 6 EVO looks like a great ski rack!

9. billh13850

billh13850 Member

Still (or back) in stock! Just ordered mine!

• Like x 1
  10. 9114s

9114s Member

#30 9114s, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Just ordered it now for my Hobie tandem kayak. Order was not going through on the mac (running for ever...and not added to the cart), but no issue putting the order with iPad. Nice back-up for this.. :)

IMG_7749.jpg

11. Hans L

Hans L Member

Specialized. S-Works is Specialized top-of-the line sub-brand.

12. silentcorp

silentcorp Member

Any recommendations for a good snowboard/ski clamp for the Tesla rack? They are installing mine this upcoming Friday at a service center!

13. TomHudson

TomHudson Member

Quick question: Does anyone know if the T-slots on the Tesla rack are 20x20 or 24x30mm? My Thule tandem bike carrier will need to be modified to mount on it and I'll need to know which type it is.

14. My2cents

My2cents Member

Please let us know if you see any differences to the install/hardware as opposed to those who bought it in December :)

• Like x 1
  15. Lifeinabox

Lifeinabox Member

Which bike rack do folks plan on using?

16. BAven8068

BAven8068 Member

Installed mine today and it was a very straight forward install. I will say it’s very concerning tightening the wingnuts down. There were very audible cracking noises when doing this. I can’t tell if the noises were coming from the actual towers and bars or if it was from the car.

All I know is there is no way I have the guts to put 8nm of toruque on the wing nuts like the manual states. I have a torque wrench and I set it to 4nm to start with, stepped it up to around 5nm and wasn’t brave enough to go any further than that after getting one very loud audible crack. I inspected the glass and didn’t see any damage, but the sound was horrible. I backed all 4 nuts back to 4nm and left it there, it still feels very secure.

It’s hard to get a picture of the metal attachment points under the glass, but they area pretty wide and it would be hard to miss the areas with the bolts.

150FAB03-9667-4E00-BE17-498CF9ABAB63.jpeg

• Like x 1
  17. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

I wonder if the ambient temp has anything to do with the glass making noises? were you in a garage, or outdoors?

18. BAven8068

BAven8068 Member

I was in a garage temp was probably around 40 F inside.

19. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

ah. I ordered mine last week, so that means I could get it any time between today and August.....if possible, I'll try to install it at around 50F or above.

20. sroh

sroh Member

The Yakima FatCat EVO 6 fits great. Carries up to 6 pairs of skis or 4 snowboards. I installed using the included clamp and there was good clearance. They also make a smaller one EVO 4 if you only need up to 4 pairs of skis or 2 snowboards. No need for the T-slot attachments; in fact, the T-slot is much more difficult to use. I wish I would have known that before I ordered.

• Like x 1