Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Summon Inconsistencies?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So every morning, 5:30am, is a roll of the dice using Summon to back our 2018 M3 out of the garage. It's a snug fit, nestled next to our 2014 MS (we're not Tesla "newbies":cool:). Every day I open the garage. Every day I open my Tesla app. Every day I tap on Summon. EVERY DAY I place my finger on Reverse. And then.....

Some days Summon starts the car moving while also attempting to close the garage door on itself (always have my hand on the garage button now just in case).

Some days the app shows no connection

Some days the car backs up about 10 feet, half in & half out of the garage & stops

Some days it actually works! (Insert smile and good start to the day here!)

Never a dull moment.....seemingly always something new.....like a new-ish puppy. Just when you think you've got him trained, you step barefoot into an accident on the carpet :)

So TODAY.....I performed my 5:30 am ritual and......*HONK*.....followed by message " Summon failed. Take over parking immediately." Boy, did THAT wake me up quick - ha! Yet another new "quirk", but this one will wake the neighbors if it continues!

Anyone else experiencing similar?? Anyone found a solid resolution?? Seeking some constructive help here, friends! Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz
I agree summon is a role of the dice. I did not have experience with the garage door closing on the car though - I just got my homelink installed last week.

I was playing with Smart Summon yesterday in a mostly empty parking lot, and it is even more random. I have yet to get it to go where I think it should -- it's come close, but never quite to the right spot.

The one thing that is consistent is, with Summon or SS, it does NOT like inclines. Even the slightest incline will make it complain and abandon the attempt (or not even start it). Is your driveway inclined?

All in all, your best option is to drive the car out of the garage, and trust that summon will continue to improve with future updates

The more amusing result I see (when using smart summon, not the regular kind) is when the car carefully pulls out of the stall and starts driving off *away* from me. It usually screeches to a halt after about 10 feet, apologetically backs back into the stall (yikes) and pulls out going the right direction.

It has been pointed out to me that I should probably take this personally.

Haha!
The title of this thread is what tesla should have named the summon feature.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. Glad to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this fun.

Incline - no incline to driveway, but I AM standing one step up at the front of the car on the house/garage door stoop. Doubt that's it?

Wifi - Have not tried disconnecting my phone from the house wifi before summoning. But.....the car's on the house wifi while it's parked in the garage. Hhhmmmm.....now I'm wondering if some of the issues might have something to do with the car transitioning from house to satellite connection?? Will play with this tomorrow......

Call Tesla support?? I don't have that much time in my life to sit on the phone waiting, waiting.....waiting...... And besides...you guys (my peeps) are really so much more efficient and accessible! haha!

Mirrors are folded on both cars when parked in the garage (it's a snug fit). There's no mirror action when using Summon. They're unfolded "manually" by me after entering the car.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions! I'll continue playing with this daily, 5:30am. :cool:

Whenever I’ve used summon to back the car out of the garage it’s never had any issues. For me, the issues have been using summon to enter my garage. It works about 50/50. I also have a narrow garage with about maybe 6 inches of clearance from the car on each side so perhaps that’s the issue but I’d think that if it backs out without any issues it should do the same going forward into the garage?

I agree summon is a role of the dice. I did not have experience with the garage door closing on the car though - I just got my homelink installed last week.

I was playing with Smart Summon yesterday in a mostly empty parking lot, and it is even more random. I have yet to get it to go where I think it should -- it's come close, but never quite to the right spot.

The one thing that is consistent is, with Summon or SS, it does NOT like inclines. Even the slightest incline will make it complain and abandon the attempt (or not even start it). Is your driveway inclined?

All in all, your best option is to drive the car out of the garage, and trust that summon will continue to improve with future updates
You may need to tweak the maps Tesla uses for Smart Summon. Go to openstreetmap.org and look at the parking lots you test in. Sometimes, setting a parking lot as one-way, or making it come closer to the curb if it's a pickup spot is helpful.