Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Trade in value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI: I priced out on Carvana yesterday, and compared to when I checked last month and the month before, they factored in a -$8k "market adjustment" which was previously closer to a few hundred. I assume "market adjustment" now takes into account consumer purchasing ability too. I've not been into a CarMax to see if they apply a similar massive discount given the market, but curious to hear from others where your local CarmMax is not closed down and you do take it in person for an evaluation.

My point being, if all others are applying massive discounts on trade-in, then Tesla's offer may not be too bad, comparatively speaking.

Tesla is offering me $47,800 for M3P-. Is it worth it? or should i find someone private or carmax etc? Please let me know.

Too many missing details to know what it's worth: Miles, condition, accessories, EAP, FSD, etc. What does KBB say it's worth?

Also very important: What's the sales tax rate, and will your trade-in value offset sales tax in your state?

Getting a quote at CarMax is pretty painless, so it can't hurt to schedule an appointment and get a quote. Furthermore, when I was deciding whether or not to trade in my old car to Tesla when I got my Model 3 in 2018, I found out that Tesla would match a trade-in quote from CarMax. (Some recent posts indicate this is still the case.) So when Tesla low-balled me, I got a quote from CarMax that was $2000 higher, took it back to Tesla and they matched it. So I got a better value AND the sales tax offset.

Last edited: