Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Wipers not working (at all)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a few days into ownership, and today when needing to use the wipers, they won't work at all (they did work the other day).

Unless I'm missing something here, but the stalk will do a single wipe and wash the windows? That does nothing. And the on screen 'card' toggles between different settings. That does nothing.

I've also tried the 'Wiper service' option, and that makes no noise/change at all.

I've done a soft and hard reset, no change.

Any other suggestions I can try?

I've booked a service appointment (earliest is January 2nd), which means I literally can't drive it when there's a slight chance it'll rain. I know things go wrong, but still ...

49133133186_62001ea0a8_c.jpg

The button on the stalk should do a single wipe (soft press), or use the washer (long press)

Do the wipers work when you're in Drive?

Have you tried parking the car, powering it down and leaving it for a few hours (or overnight)?

Sounds odd but my rear view camera stoppped working (just went black), and a soft and hard reset didn't help. Left it overnight and it worked fine the next day and has done ever since.

Edit: Afert Googling...could be an issue with the motor or front camera. Tesla should send out a mobile service to you to fix this. Where do you live?

The button on the stalk should do a single wipe (soft press), or use the washer (long press)

Have you tried parking the car, powering it down and leaving it for a few hours (or overnight)?

Do the wipers work when you're in Drive?

Sounds odd but my rear view camera stoppped working (just went black), and a soft and hard reset didn't help. Left it overnight and it worked fine the next day and has done ever since.

Well I have 36 days/nights to wait until an appointment, so we'll find out :D

When you say powering it down, do you mean pressing the 'power off' button in the settings, and literally leaving it like that overnight? Or just not touching it overnight after parking?

This has only been a problem for the last 2 hours, so not had long enough to leave it. I used it at lunch time and the wipers worked (on auto). Then at ~3pm I jumped in it again and nothing worked. I went for a short drive, and still nothing. Just sat in it for 30 mins messing with it and no luck.

Yeah just turn it off get out of the car and let it lock.

Also try calling roadside assistance. Someone from Canada posted in another thread on this forum about their Model X with wipers that stopped working - Tesla were able to see the fault with the wiper and reset it over the air, then it worked.

• Informative
Reactions: anon37485
Roadside assistance have reported there's a wiper motor error notification at their side. The timestamp fits in with when I noticed it too.

Currently waiting for the car to be scheduled in for collection (tonight/tomorrow morning) as I can't drive it there in the rain.

Good glad that the roadside assistance actually works!

This is obviously tangential, but I can recommend ceramic coating/glad treatment fitter making the windows really hydrophobic. At speed, you hardly/don't need the wipers at all.

I'm glad you found the culprit quickly!

Quick update. Got it back today.

The culprit? A plug had come loose/disconnected to the wiper motor. Possibly not fully inserted during build, and by driving it worked itself loose.

It was literally a 10 min fix, and not one they’d ever seen before.

So, check your cables/wiring if it happens to you.
Do you know where the plug is? For future reference.

This is obviously tangential, but I can recommend ceramic coating/glad treatment fitter making the windows really hydrophobic. At speed, you hardly/don't need the wipers at all.

I'm glad you found the culprit quickly!

I do actually use RainX, so as you say I don't need the wipers.

Do you know where the plug is? For future reference.

I don't, but I would guess under the removable plastic panel, it comes off really easy.