Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3H supplied cable 3 phase / 22kW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not relevant to this topic, but you might find it interesting if installing multiple 3-Phase car chargers at home.

We rotated the primary phase on each charger.

Charger one : Primary L1

Charger two : Primary L2

Charger three : Primary L3

This means, if you plug in a Single Phase cable, it will default to it's Primary Phase for 7kW charging.

All three chargers can then service three seperate cars at once without load balancing.

Or you can plug in a 3 Phase cable on each Charger for the full 11kW each (but electronically load balanced if needed).

Just different ways of spreading the loads... depending what cable you have to hand

Only ask as was using a 22kW PodPoint charger but not getting the full 22kW charge rate so wondered if it was the cable or car limiting the charge rate. I was 50% charged when I started.
As you can see from comments above and probably worked out yourself, it's the car that is limiting the charge. The onboard inverter is limited to 11kWs :)

Reactions: SiW80
In order to reach the 11kW max onboard capacity, the cable needs to be 3-phase @ 16Amps.

But it must also support single phase @ 32Amps. (aka 7kW).

As the max amperage is determined by the section of the cable, you most likely have a 22kW capable type 2 cable, as it must be both wired for 3 phases & have a section that supports 32Amps (even if your M3H will only be able to draw 11kW).

I don't believe / see how a cable could be constructed in order to support 32Amps on one phase but only 16A on all 3...

Reactions: MrBadger