Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3LR on Michelin Defender 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wrote this up on Reddit, but I think it would be better for it to live here. Aiming to update as I rotate the tires to track performance and this could provide some useful info on these tires.

Living in South Texas and driving mostly highway commutes with a 2022 M3LR that came with Michelin MXM4. Those tires lasted 14 months and 29k miles and were down to 2-3/32 even while rotating them every 6k miles. Replacing them was $300 ea and seemed too expensive for that kind of life. Up to this point, had achieved average efficiency of 249 Wh/Mi and was trying to get an equivalent tire for less. Finally walked into a Discount Tire and they were promoting the Michelin Defender 2 (with 70k mile warranty) as "ideal" for the Tesla M3. Gave me a bunch of discounts and got them for $210 ea plus taxes etc. and I made the switch begrudgingly. Honestly, since I was already going to compromise I wanted the Vredestein HiTrac All Season but they weren't available at the store (about $250 more in savings).

First impression, regular road noise is the same. However, there is a "new" hollow noise that now seems to echo at some speeds. Kind of like a cave/tunnel/empty-tire-bounce noise that is there but not too intrusive.

Second, efficiency, still brand new but luckily had to drive from the airport to work and thanks to Teslafi I have something to compare. At Avg 65mph, 82F they achieved 263 Wh/Mi using 12.6 kWh. This is by far the highest consumption logged. Maybe it will improve later once they break in but I'm not too hopeful. Of the six previous drives, all were at ~215 Wh/Mi, avg 62 mph, 74F using ~10.2 kWh. Will keep monitoring and updating as I rotate them.

Finally, not really convinced there's a product out there yet that is high efficiency with >50k Mi treadwear. All the other "EV" tires are up to 50k and with how this car drives, I'm thinking we'd get around 40k at best. Crucially, they're more expensive. The question is, will the overall savings of the Defender 2 compensate for the increased inefficiency? For city driving it seems to be ok but got a road trip to MO coming up and I wonder how they'll do.

I have a 2021 model 3 with 45,500 miles and all 4 tires were worn on the inside (pics attached), Original tires were Michelin MXM4. They were very quiet and I liked them a lot. Got them replaced at Costco for under $300 each: mounted balanced, etc. They do great work there.
When I inquired at Tesla Service about 4 wheel alignment it was a 2 week wait and $295. Seemed like a bunch.
I asked the guy who refinishes rims for me and he recommended a niche place the next town over. Wheel Alignment Plus in Port Chester NY. The guy has been in business for 40 years, all he does is alignments, wheel balance and does most of the work for local dealers, etc.
I had 4 tires aligned. Jimmy walked me through exactly what was done and gave me great advice on rotation. Said I should get 50K on the new set.
Less then half the cost of Tesla Service and I feel confident.
image1.jpeg

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 558
Bridgestone Turanza EV tires were just released with 50K mile warranty. I dont think the 275/MYP size has been released yet.
My MYP with Michelin Pilots only have 20K warranty. Looking to see reviews of these new Turanzas in the fall and then if good, goto them as replacements for the Pilots when necessary. New tires, always get an alignment.

Reactions: e645824
I have a 2021 model 3 with 45,500 miles and all 4 tires were worn on the inside (pics attached), Original tires were Michelin MXM4. They were very quiet and I liked them a lot. Got them replaced at Costco for under $300 each: mounted balanced, etc. They do great work there.
When I inquired at Tesla Service about 4 wheel alignment it was a 2 week wait and $295. Seemed like a bunch.
I asked the guy who refinishes rims for me and he recommended a niche place the next town over. Wheel Alignment Plus in Port Chester NY. The guy has been in business for 40 years, all he does is alignments, wheel balance and does most of the work for local dealers, etc.
I had 4 tires aligned. Jimmy walked me through exactly what was done and gave me great advice on rotation. Said I should get 50K on the new set.
Less then half the cost of Tesla Service and I feel confident.View attachment 939489
How often do U rotate your tires
I have mine rotated and balanced at the local Costco tire center at 6000 miles or less. Free of charge
IMO 4-wheel alignment is not science. Those who are specialized in "alignment" can do this, does not have to be done my Tesla,MB,BMW,Audi or Porches
I believe your Firestone service center offers "lifetime" wheel alignment as long as U own your car. Wilmington DE Firestone does

How often do U rotate your tires
I have mine rotated and balanced at the local Costco tire center at 6000 miles or less. Free of charge
IMO 4-wheel alignment is not science. Those who are specialized in "alignment" can do this, does not have to be done my Tesla,MB,BMW,Audi or Porches
I believe your Firestone service center offers "lifetime" wheel alignment as long as U own your car. Wilmington DE Firestone does
I aim to rotate them every 6.5k miles but sometimes it drags out to 7k. The original MXM4 set was rotated front to back only but the Defender 2's will be cross-pattern rotated which is better IMO.

correcting an earlier post, my MYP has Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires with a warranty of 45K miles not 20K and UTQG of 540 which an est life of 54000 miles
my 20K warranty post is for the Michelin Pilot Sport EV which is a summer tire, stickier and wears faster with a UTQG of 320, 32000 miles
We will have to see when they release a Turanza for the MYP sizes are not available until next year, the 245 tire has a UTQG of 500 A A, very good
concluding. for all season EV tires, best choices, Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 or Bridgestone Turanza EV

Wrote this up on Reddit, but I think it would be better for it to live here. Aiming to update as I rotate the tires to track performance and this could provide some useful info on these tires.

Living in South Texas and driving mostly highway commutes with a 2022 M3LR that came with Michelin MXM4. Those tires lasted 14 months and 29k miles and were down to 2-3/32 even while rotating them every 6k miles. Replacing them was $300 ea and seemed too expensive for that kind of life. Up to this point, had achieved average efficiency of 249 Wh/Mi and was trying to get an equivalent tire for less. Finally walked into a Discount Tire and they were promoting the Michelin Defender 2 (with 70k mile warranty) as "ideal" for the Tesla M3. Gave me a bunch of discounts and got them for $210 ea plus taxes etc. and I made the switch begrudgingly. Honestly, since I was already going to compromise I wanted the Vredestein HiTrac All Season but they weren't available at the store (about $250 more in savings).

First impression, regular road noise is the same. However, there is a "new" hollow noise that now seems to echo at some speeds. Kind of like a cave/tunnel/empty-tire-bounce noise that is there but not too intrusive.

Second, efficiency, still brand new but luckily had to drive from the airport to work and thanks to Teslafi I have something to compare. At Avg 65mph, 82F they achieved 263 Wh/Mi using 12.6 kWh. This is by far the highest consumption logged. Maybe it will improve later once they break in but I'm not too hopeful. Of the six previous drives, all were at ~215 Wh/Mi, avg 62 mph, 74F using ~10.2 kWh. Will keep monitoring and updating as I rotate them.

Finally, not really convinced there's a product out there yet that is high efficiency with >50k Mi treadwear. All the other "EV" tires are up to 50k and with how this car drives, I'm thinking we'd get around 40k at best. Crucially, they're more expensive. The question is, will the overall savings of the Defender 2 compensate for the increased inefficiency? For city driving it seems to be ok but got a road trip to MO coming up and I wonder how they'll do.
Anyone who drives at 60-65 mph is definitely going to get what the EPA got when testing these vehicles 😬 max efficiency.
I’ve traveled from Anaheim Ca. To Phoenix AZ. often; If I ever drive at 65mph I will be pushed off the fwy/highway 🤦🏻😂🤣 Crossing the state line into AZ speed limit is 75 mph. that means you better keep up with traffic.

Reactions: LuckyRT13
Anyone who drives at 60-65 mph is definitely going to get what the EPA got when testing these vehicles 😬 max efficiency.
I’ve traveled from Anaheim Ca. To Phoenix AZ. often; If I ever drive at 65mph I will be pushed off the fwy/highway 🤦🏻😂🤣 Crossing the state line into AZ speed limit is 75 mph. that means you better keep up with traffic.
Keep driving, in Texas you need to max out autopilot at 85 and pickups will still blaze by you.

Pirelli Elect AS has low energy consumption and better driving performance compared to OEM Michelin
Yes, but all the EV tires are a "low mileage" 50k warranty. If they were cheaper per set, maybe $150-$175 it would be a great option, but since EV is the "new" thing they're sold at a premium. I used to race my previous car and had a tire set only for the track. Maybe we're going to have to get a high-efficiency set for road trips and a daily set to chew up in the city lol

In TX def non all season tires for great performance. In NY where I am, we need all season. I have been a huge Michelin fan for years, invested approx $10K in tires for 4 vehicles over the last X number of years. So for me, these all season Pilots are keepers until someone reviews the Turanzas in approx 6-12 months for a better mileage/flat experience.

In TX def non all season tires for great performance. In NY where I am, we need all season. I have been a huge Michelin fan for years, invested approx $10K in tires for 4 vehicles over the last X number of years. So for me, these all season Pilots are keepers until someone reviews the Turanzas in approx 6-12 months for a better mileage/flat experience.
I assume you meant "Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4"?
Are U in Buffalo NY? do U like this particular tire because of (Dry stop?), (Wet stop?) (Snow stop?). Judging from only 45K miles warranty I assume they are made of SOFT rubber compound.
Thanks

For years I have flopped my tires inside to outside on the wheels halfway through their life to avoid this type of uneven wear. I've done it on all of my performance cars which run some negative camber. And I've done it on tires that are asymmetrical labeled inside outside as well. Never had a problem...on the street or the race track.

L8d

Reactions: 455dan
For years I have flopped my tires inside to outside on the wheels halfway through their life to avoid this type of uneven wear. I've done it on all of my performance cars which run some negative camber. And I've done it on tires that are asymmetrical labeled inside outside as well. Never had a problem...on the street or the race track.

L8d
Teslas come with no camber; I installed a rear adjustable camber kit on my MYP and it took care of my problem.
21’ tires are directional; It says right on the tires; Outside & Inside.
Can’t rotate them because front & rear are different size. I highly recommend a Camber Kit.

I assume you meant "Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4"?
Are U in Buffalo NY? do U like this particular tire because of (Dry stop?), (Wet stop?) (Snow stop?). Judging from only 45K miles warranty I assume they are made of SOFT rubber compound.
Thanks
I am downstate in NY. Def do not get the snow like Buffalo, but was in PA back in December in snow and the tires did great, so yes to snow.
My experience has been with wet and again great. For EV tires, we are seeing a max of 50K warranty, not like some ICE Michein's at 70K.
EV tires are new tech, you can geek out on the design, but feel the manufactures are still experimenting. Think we will see big advances in the next two years increasing the warranties. Crazy that the Turanza EVs are almost $500 per tire. Not fun, but if you put non EV tires on an EV, think the range drops drastically, beside road noise climbs.

Bridgestone Turanza EV tires were just released with 50K mile warranty. I dont think the 275/MYP size has been released yet.
My MYP with Michelin Pilots only have 20K warranty. Looking to see reviews of these new Turanzas in the fall and then if good, goto them as replacements for the Pilots when necessary. New tires, always get an alignment.

Below is the table from Tirerack for the Bridgestone Turanza EZ.

The UTQC isn't listed on the TireRack web page for some reason, but I've seen other references that claim it is 500AA.

1685914738299.png

The Bridgestone press release says "5 sizes" but the Bridgestone web page only lists the same 4 sizes that TireRack does:

I normally get V-speed tires (149 mph), so I had to look up W-speed (168 mph).

It barely rains where I live so traction isn't an issue. For me, ride comfort is the most important followed by longevity. But I want to avoid tires that have foam stuffed inside. I couldn't determine from the Bridgestone press release if these Turanza EV tires are stuffed with foam or not.

Scott

PS. Ignore the red dot, that just means that it matches my Model Y LR Gemini 19" wheels OEM rubber.

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Last edited: