Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3LR on Michelin Defender 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wrote this up on Reddit, but I think it would be better for it to live here. Aiming to update as I rotate the tires to track performance and this could provide some useful info on these tires.

Living in South Texas and driving mostly highway commutes with a 2022 M3LR that came with Michelin MXM4. Those tires lasted 14 months and 29k miles and were down to 2-3/32 even while rotating them every 6k miles. Replacing them was $300 ea and seemed too expensive for that kind of life. Up to this point, had achieved average efficiency of 249 Wh/Mi and was trying to get an equivalent tire for less. Finally walked into a Discount Tire and they were promoting the Michelin Defender 2 (with 70k mile warranty) as "ideal" for the Tesla M3. Gave me a bunch of discounts and got them for $210 ea plus taxes etc. and I made the switch begrudgingly. Honestly, since I was already going to compromise I wanted the Vredestein HiTrac All Season but they weren't available at the store (about $250 more in savings).

First impression, regular road noise is the same. However, there is a "new" hollow noise that now seems to echo at some speeds. Kind of like a cave/tunnel/empty-tire-bounce noise that is there but not too intrusive.

Second, efficiency, still brand new but luckily had to drive from the airport to work and thanks to Teslafi I have something to compare. At Avg 65mph, 82F they achieved 263 Wh/Mi using 12.6 kWh. This is by far the highest consumption logged. Maybe it will improve later once they break in but I'm not too hopeful. Of the six previous drives, all were at ~215 Wh/Mi, avg 62 mph, 74F using ~10.2 kWh. Will keep monitoring and updating as I rotate them.

Finally, not really convinced there's a product out there yet that is high efficiency with >50k Mi treadwear. All the other "EV" tires are up to 50k and with how this car drives, I'm thinking we'd get around 40k at best. Crucially, they're more expensive. The question is, will the overall savings of the Defender 2 compensate for the increased inefficiency? For city driving it seems to be ok but got a road trip to MO coming up and I wonder how they'll do.

correcting an earlier post, my MYP has Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires with a warranty of 45K miles not 20K and UTQG of 540 which an est life of 54000 miles
my 20K warranty post is for the Michelin Pilot Sport EV which is a summer tire, stickier and wears faster with a UTQG of 320, 32000 miles
We will have to see when they release a Turanza for the MYP sizes are not available until next year, the 245 tire has a UTQG of 500 A A, very good
concluding. for all season EV tires, best choices, Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 or Bridgestone Turanza EV
The problem with most those mileage warranties for MYP, because of the staggered size they (the manufacturer) reduce the warranty 50% because they cannot be rotated.

Reactions: Msicario
again, my experience is that its you and the authorized tire installer, typically the manager, negotiating first
and then on the phone with, in this case, Michelin
lots of room to negotiate and be flexible and emotional/disappointed
it goes a long way to getting you $$ toward new tires

Below is the table from Tirerack for the Bridgestone Turanza EZ.

The UTQC isn't listed on the TireRack web page for some reason, but I've seen other references that claim it is 500AA.

The Bridgestone press release says "5 sizes" but the Bridgestone web page only lists the same 4 sizes that TireRack does:

I normally get V-speed tires (149 mph), so I had to look up W-speed (168 mph).

It barely rains where I live so traction isn't an issue. For me, ride comfort is the most important followed by longevity. But I want to avoid tires that have foam stuffed inside. I couldn't determine from the Bridgestone press release if these Turanza EV tires are stuffed with foam or not.

Scott

PS. Ignore the red dot, that just means that it matches my Model Y LR Gemini 19" wheels OEM rubber.

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021
Have then on my Model Y as of a few days ago. No foam in side, quieter than stock continentals. 500AA rating.

Went to americas tires. They had no Turanza avail but finally carried good years electric drive. Not impressed. Road-trip between LA and SD was 367wh/mi vs usual 262wh/mi for our 3P. At supercharger readying trip back so will see how that compares. will ping Costco to try out Turanzas

edit: Costco here does not carry turanzas and Michelin OEM tires were discontinued. Recommended xtour as/2. Not sure about that. Will prob go back to oem tires at america. Was able to get some prorated money back

Last edited:
Reactions: awokeinthelbc
Who sells it? Not on America’s Tires or Discount Tire Centers websites.
My local Discount Tire had the Pirelli P Zero Plus Elect in stock. Had them installed on my M3 LR with 18" wheels last week. So far I'm pleased with the ride, handling, and noise-level, but new tires usually behave well. Also, it's dry-season here in Portland, so we'll see this fall/winter when the weather changes. I haven't taken a long drive yet, so the jury is still out on any impact to range/efficiency.

I decided to try an alternative after two sets of the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4's. I've always been a Michelin fan, and I didn't necessarily hate the OEM Michelin's. I just felt that the tread life wasn't that great. I only got about 14K on the first set (due to driving my new toy pretty hard) and 21K out of the second set. Discount Tire did a warranty adjustment on the original OEM tires, which was a huge plus - as tire manufaturer's generally do not honor the warranty on the OEM tires installed on the vehicle from the factory. I don't know how DC pulled it off, and I didn't ask questions. My first replacement set of MXM4's were adjusted down to about $800 for the set of 4 (out-the-door with 4 extended-warranty certificates), and the second set was adjusted down to $715 for the set of four Pirelli's. You read that right - I wasn't required to buy Michelin's again to apply the warranty adjustment discount. YMMV.

For the Californians, Arizonians & Floridians:

Appears as though the Hankook iON evo summer tires will be coming to USA.

This is the tire that beat the Michelin Pilot Sport 5 in European tests.

No mileage warranty though.

Reactions: awokeinthelbc
For the Californians, Arizonians & Floridians:

Appears as though the Hankook iON evo summer tires will be coming to USA.

This is the tire that beat the Michelin Pilot Sport 5 in European tests.

No mileage warranty though.
On discount and americas tires websites, they both list a 50k warranty for the ION EVO SUV tires.

America’s tires is noticeably cheaper when you throw in their tire certs for each tire by $350 for our X.

We went with the OEM Primacy for our 3P. Will try these next time. Real PITA to swap out every 20-24K.

Last edited: