Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - first long drive.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Efficiency on my return journey was better than on outward journey. I do not recall any significant changes on both trips (apart from the car was an extra passenger heavier on a way back). Could charging at slow speed at home result in a low battery trip life compared to charging at Supercharger? If relevant, my lifetime data: 3,888 miles; 1,542 kWh; 397 Wh/mi

The things that make a difference for return journey would be weather (wind direction or significant rain) or journeys in hilly areas where you are doing a lot of uphill one way and downhill the other way. Your overall average Wh/mile is certainly high so maybe that includes quite a bit of early days sporty driving!

TeslaFi does tick a lot of boxes for $50 a year and gives you an insight to your driving and the car's performance.
If you have a spare Raspberry Pi knocking around you can load TeslaMate to do the same for the price of a donation to the developer.

I've now driven 14,767 miles in my MP3 since 30/09/19. My lifetime is 320 Wh/Mi but approx 2/3 of my total mileage was completed over the colder first 6 months from Oct'19 to March'20. Since March '20 lockdown, I've driven approx 5,000 miles, mostly last summer/autumn and this spring.

Last Saturday, I completed a round trip of 420 miles, using 113 kw/h and averaging 270 Wh/Mi. This was predominately relaxed motorway driving at 70 mph, same day, 12-14'c with a some light rain on the return. The OPs Wh/Mi lifetime average is indeed very high - though some of that will be reflective of the time of year those miles were driven (from Sept'20), short journeys do hurt consumption and perhaps some enthusiastic driving, as others have commented.

A few weeks back I did a road trip that took in Nevis, Scafell & Snowdon from West London and averaged 271Wh/mi over the 1,316 miles. Due to the length of the trip I also went speed limit plus 10% whenever possible. Mainly National speed limit roads.

As per other comments use % for current battery and the very reliable consumption graph for estimating arrival battery %.

I have a ~200mile (each way) motorway trip that I do quite often in my M3P. My usual rule of thumb for range in miles is simply this: battery % x 2.

As a typical full charge will give me 220 miles, so that means an average buffer of around 20 miles range from a full charge, assuming no long stops where the battery will cool down.

Lifetime is 389, because most driving since getting the car has been short local trips.

Reactions: SergeyP
397Wh/mi lifetime average is really high. I'm curious what was your trip consumption average. Did you happen to reset a trip meter prior to the drive? IIRC, my Wh/mi consumption was "only" ~320 with 4 people, full trunk, HVAC on, and cruising at ~75MPH on a long distance trip.

I agree, that’s ridiculously high. My Model X is 306 wh/mi lifetime (which includes towing). My Model 3 was like 240-250 lifetime. 230 in the summer.

Thank you Everyone for kind contribution! I have learnt that:
1) yes my consumption was higher than usual but not shocking to most of you (so it is a relief for me!);
2) many factors I have not considered especially the speed (on my way back after the second charge I felt a bit more "adventurous" and at some point I did get a warning message to keep speed under 85 if I still wish to reach my destination w/o re-charge); I really did not think that the 70 to 80 mph difference is so noticeable for battery consumption (as you know it is certainly not noticeable when motorway driving);
3) thank you GriLLA for TeslaFi and manual calculation example!

Reactions: GRiLLA
Thank you Everyone for kind contribution! I have learnt that:
1) yes my consumption was higher than usual but not shocking to most of you (so it is a relief for me!);
2) many factors I have not considered especially the speed (on my way back after the second charge I felt a bit more "adventurous" and at some point I did get a warning message to keep speed under 85 if I still wish to reach my destination w/o re-charge); I really did not think that the 70 to 80 mph difference is so noticeable for battery consumption (as you know it is certainly not noticeable when motorway driving);
3) thank you GriLLA for TeslaFi and manual calculation example!
The 80/90 is massively less efficient than 70mph. There’s your answer! At least you know it’s not the car playing up.

Reactions: SergeyP
There's a square relationship between speed and energy so @70mph = 4900units @90mph = 8100units or 65% more.
You got to love these environmentally friendly cars that encourage folk to burn through the watts..:eek:
There’s a square relationship between speed and air resistance, but that’s only one part of the energy usage picture. There’s no doubt that energy usage goes up significantly with speed but in reality I don’t think the mileage impact is even inversely proportional never mind squared.

So 77 then 😜

I averaged 305 wh/m on a trip this weekend, four in the car, trunk and frunk full.

That was driving Aberdeen to St Andrews so 70mph average speed for 80% of the journey and national speed limit a road for the rest.

Was a great introduction to the car having taken delivery on Friday afternoon. Was amazed how much more economical it was around town when we got there averaging 220wh/m.

Free destination charging at the hotel made for a very enjoyable trip and weekend away.

Three phantom breaking events on the way home, one of them for very good reason but the others totally out of the blue, wipers faultless, will take some getting used to but it’s a lovely car to go on a journey in.
economical around town ? enlighten me please as in how many miles you getting around town then ?

You perhaps didn't spot that your reply was to a post that's nearly two years old ... and it was from a person who hasn't been seen on the forum since 2021.
Ah ha, that is true but as I’m now looking at changing to a MYP I find myself back here and was just delighted to see Mr Miserable is still keeping everyone up to speed with shipping.

We always charged to 85% and run the car until 20% before recharging except in winter. We were usually getting about 180 miles around town from that 65% so nowhere near the rated figures but fine for our needs.

Reactions: Adopado
I charge to 90% and drive 152 miles to get from home to work. Currently arriving with around 20% battery but that’s Upto about 35% in the summer and down to 3% on my worst trip in the winter - was normally 7-10%. There are less than 10 miles of that 30-40mph roads, the rest are all 70mph dual carriageways or motorways. (Or 50mph if the highways wombles have dug them up to add speed cameras and murderous “smart” systems).

Spot on for my needs although I’m in a standard range loaner (M3) while mine is in for a battery issue.

Reactions: Alic01
Did everyone reference the claimed range of ICE cars before and complain when they didn't live up to the hype?

I don't think they did. ;)
Never entered the equation did it? But, the big difference is that with Diesel/Petrol it doesn't matter where you are in the UK you can point the car in any direction you like and within 15 minutes you will stumble over a filling station.

I can appreciate the OPs concerns, left London with the plan to stop just the once at Leicester on the way back and the plan fell apart well before the first half of the trip. The bit that really surprised me though was stopping at Mansfield and only putting 9% in - that just wouldn't have entered my head, I would have been stunned by the lack of range and probably added at least a 20 minute charge to put me back onto the original plan - and stop at Leicester on the return for a 100% charge.

I thought the costs however were pretty good and i think there is a miscalculation in an ICE doing the journey cheaper.

I'm sure the consumption was the result of the speed, If I go on a long trip the plan in my head is to maximise the mileage - so tend to stick around the 65mph mark as the difference in overall time to arrive at a destination doing 70mph + is literally just a few minutes.