Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3p from SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello all,

I have a question here and perhaps aimed at pre refresh M3P owners.
I've had my Model 3 2021 coming up to two years of ownership now and absolutely loved it. Road trips have been fine. It's a dream to drive and fun. Only recently I was loaned a model s 100D and having that longer range and dual motor has made me want to switch it up (and it's fun to get a new trim level). So I've out a deposit down on a M3P 2020 from Tesla used inventory. 35,000 miles and under £30,000 seems a good deal and in the trim I was after.

My question is has anyone else made this switch and how did they find it? I know this is a how long is a piece of string question, but with the lack of heat pump but bigger battery am I going to see a vast increase in range? I'm hoping so! especially on those long motorway trips in more forgiving climate where we eek the range out. Any happy 2020 model 3P owners feel free to chime in to get me hyped how happy they still are with the cars too!

Thanks in advance all, and ps no one waves anymore! ha
nice 1
Dom

If long motorway trips are your bag then LR with or without Acceleration Boost would probably have been more appropriate. My 2020 M3P says it’ll do 300 miles at 100% but I seriously doubt I’d get much more than 200.

Heat pump - not sure how much difference it makes when not low temperatures (which we still are in, but not for too much longer). Going back to Intel MCU after experiencing Ryzen (if you have that) would annoy me.

Reactions: init6
I've had a Model 3 Performance from new in September 2020. You will find the acceleration.... startling. Range depends hugely on how you drive of course. I drive quite carefully and I would say 200 miles in the winter and perhaps 240 in the summer is average. As I charge almost entirely at home, at 7.5p/kWh, the inefficiency doesn't bother me too much. I had a Model 3 LR as a loan car and I noticed the drop in performance!

Reactions: Durzel
According to ABRP based on a journey from my home to the alps and winter (5C) temperature

2021 SR+ (assuming 18" Aero wheels) has a UK motorway range of 161 miles
2020 P (assuming 20" wheels) would be 197 miles

2020 LR 18" Aero would be 215

On continent (130 KPH rather than 70 MPH)

2021 SR+ range 139 miles
2020 P range 169 miles
2020 LR 18" Aero 180 miles

I was loaned a model s 100D and having that longer range ...

2019 MS100D 70MPH range 245 miles
130 KPH range 207 miles

Forthcoming non-PLAID MS

UK 70MPH range 297 miles
130 KPH range 268 miles

• Informative
Reactions: H43lio and Durzel
This is the lifetime power consumption on my M3P. In theory, with a 75kWh battery you should get about 256 miles at 293Wh/mile but it doesn't quite work like that of course, plus you wouldn't run the battery flat in normal circumstances!

20230319_152750.jpg

This is the lifetime power consumption on my M3P. In theory, with a 75kWh battery you should get about 256 miles at 293Wh/mile but it doesn't quite work like that of course, plus you wouldn't run the battery flat in normal circumstances!

View attachment 919070
Thanks everyone for the swift responses, this is really valuable to know. My Sr+ averages about 205 wh/mi so im
Expecting efficiency to go down for sure. But am I right in thinking it’s gonna cruise on the motorway a bit more convincingly?

Also the golden question. Is my range going to increase going to the m3p? Sometimes I can get 200-220 on longer journeys, but occasionally I get a shocker like 140/160. I’m hoping In the summer on a sensible like for like drive it will be a step up in range.

I like the styling of the m3p and the extra fun factor. So that’s gonna be a plus regardless!

According to ABRP based on a journey from my home to the alps and winter (5C) temperature

2021 SR+ (assuming 18" Aero wheels) has a UK motorway range of 161 miles
2020 P (assuming 20" wheels) would be 197 miles

2020 LR 18" Aero would be 215

On continent (130 KPH rather than 70 MPH)

2021 SR+ range 139 miles
2020 P range 169 miles
2020 LR 18" Aero 180 miles

2019 MS100D 70MPH range 245 miles
130 KPH range 207 miles

Forthcoming non-PLAID MS

UK 70MPH range 297 miles
130 KPH range 268 miles
This is tech and thank you! So going from this with 18’s on my current rwd and 20’s on the performance I should expect an extra 30/40 miles which would be sweet!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I've had a Model 3 Performance from new in September 2020. You will find the acceleration.... startling. Range depends hugely on how you drive of course. I drive quite carefully and I would say 200 miles in the winter and perhaps 240 in the summer is average. As I charge almost entirely at home, at 7.5p/kWh, the inefficiency doesn't bother me too much. I had a Model 3 LR as a loan car and I noticed the drop in performance!
240 in the summer would be awesome! Can I ask is your a pre refresh?

Thanks again :)

I've got a March 2020 M3P, 19k now on the clock. Have done several long distance trips in both Summer and Winter. In Winter I can rely on 200 miles range, and Summer around 250, maybe higher if I'm feeling brave. (Full 100% charge shows 296 miles). Of course, it's how you drive em. Enjoy, fantastic car, acceleration at any speed, for any occasion, and super planted when driving.

Reactions: Dommmm and Zilla91
I've got a March 2020 M3P, 19k now on the clock. Have done several long distance trips in both Summer and Winter. In Winter I can rely on 200 miles range, and Summer around 250, maybe higher if I'm feeling brave. (Full 100% charge shows 296 miles). Of course, it's how you drive em. Enjoy, fantastic car, acceleration at any speed, for any occasion, and super planted when driving.
Thanking you. That definitely is a step up in range from where I am now. Very versed on eeking the range out when needed, will be nice to have more in the tank for them moments!
Looking forward to it!

Reactions: mrkwats
im pretty sure its just the wheels that effec the range massively, put smaller wheels lighter wheels and im sure the range would shoot up, my LR with 20's and wide tyres only sees about 240 miles range at the moment avg 270-300 wpm.
Thanks too. From looking at this putting areos on isn’t too straight forward with the updates breaks. I would consider that otherwise!

may I ask what supplier you're with that gets you 7.5p/kwH?

Compared to my pre-refresh 2019 LR Model 3 I now get about 20% more range in a 2022 LR Model 3. Heat pump, different battery, lots of other small enhancements add up. What was an average of 286Wh/mile is now 240Wh/mile, and even lower when my wife drives.

I'm also on 7.5p ... Octopus Go but it was a fix from last year that runs out at the end of this summer. The Octopus Go cheap rate is presently 12p kWh.
ah ok thanks. Cheapest i've seen is 10p/kwh at offpeak (which I'm on now - British Gas). IO also are 10p/kwh. Imagine this is the best that's currently available.