Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P+ - What mileage for 100% charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
apparently it does now...

Interesting. But does that mean the Energy App? or the battery meter?

How would it know if Aero covers are on?
How would it know what tires you have (tires can have a huge affect)6

But you are in the USA and posting on the UK forum. Historically at least UK cars have had different range scaling compared to those sold in the USA.

Sorry I missed that.

Interesting I would have though the battery would show 325 over time after it adjusts to your driving habits

It does NOT adjust to your driving habits. The number shown is a fixed multiplication of the estimated remaining capacity.

As I mentioned above, IMO this is a good thing. If you want the number factored by your recent driving, you can find it in the energy screens ("predicted range"), but it isn't very useful.

I’m doing 70mph max on motorways and currently running at about 230-250 per 100%.

Not leadfooted, though the autopilot is when it’s overtaking or switching lanes. It seems to dip the speed by 5-7mph then accelerate quickly up to speed.

Just checked my energy usage and across all metrics the average is coming in under 300

How did you get the 325 mile 'actual range'. Did you charge to 100% and drive to 0% and cover 325 miles?

My wh/mi is 230 for the last 2500 miles (summer with AC).

If you do 240 wh/mi that equates to ~310 miles range.

The "reference line" on AWD is actually drawn at 250 wh/mi and that equates to 300 miles range.

Simple (rough calc) take 75 kWh battery and divide your wh/mi into it to get the "effective" range your getting.

75000/230 = ~325

Nobody drives the car 100% to 0.

Some will argue it's a 72 kWh battery. It's all relative. I know 230 wh/mi on AWD 19" for 1000's of miles is very good. Probably 80% highway.

This doesn't factor in Phantom Drain, which I also keep extremely low. I shut HVAC off every time I park it, and won't use apps that wake the car unnecessarily. I don't turn HVAC on until I'm moving. I crack windows, use sunshade and park in "mostly" shade and keep the Cabin Cooling off.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricJoules
My wh/mi is 230 for the last 2500 miles (summer with AC).

If you do 240 wh/mi that equates to ~310 miles range.

The "reference line" on AWD is actually drawn at 250 wh/mi and that equates to 300 miles range.

Simple (rough calc) take 75 kWh battery and divide your wh/mi into it to get the "effective" range your getting.

75000/230 = ~325

Thanks, very informative, that seems a good way to estimate range. I've averaged 244wh/mi over my first 1000 miles so well on target. Other than a trip meter that has never been set, is there any other way of knowing your average wh/mi over the whole of the cars life?

Thanks, very informative, that seems a good way to estimate range. I've averaged 244wh/mi over my first 1000 miles so well on target. Other than a trip meter that has never been set, is there any other way of knowing your average wh/mi over the whole of the cars life?

Yeah that's the problem. Lot's of other cars keep tons of stats like that and split driving, HVAC, charging etc.

The Energy App does give "effective range", but it's limited to the last 30 miles.

wh/mi is just another unit of measure for effective range. You learn in your head what your getting for effective range just by glancing at wh/mi over whatever period you like.

Is yours AWD?

Last edited:
I’m doing 70mph max on motorways and currently running at about 230-250 per 100%.

Not leadfooted, though the autopilot is when it’s overtaking or switching lanes. It seems to dip the speed by 5-7mph then accelerate quickly up to speed.

Just checked my energy usage and across all metrics the average is coming in under 300

I can't see how you can possibly get the 230 miles you mentioned in your OP if you are getting 230-250m/kwh on motorways. That would be over 300 miles of range, which is exactly what I am seeing on my P- on long trips. Am I missing something?

Edit, or did you actially mean 230-250 miles per 100% charge? If so I think something is very wrong there.

My P+ averaged 298 Wh/mile on a 205 mile trip to Devon with 45 miles remaining with TACC/NoA set to 70. That's 190 motorway miles.
So with a 10% buffer I'm getting 225 miles total.

It's going to be worse in freezing conditions but no regen journeys are still about the same consumption as my i3 Rex, so pretty good in a much bigger and faster car.