Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Macboost install help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to install the macboost shim in my 2023 model x 20 inches wheel. Been having hard time getting it in. I tried pring at it but still doesn't create enough room. They say to roll it in but no where enough room for that.Anyone have any tips ? Can I install it upside down ?

Hi @Loves ,

Both bolts per camber arm must be removed from the car.
I struggled with it a bit but I found if I put as much of my weight as possible on the opposite end of the camber arm casting - I could open a narrow “V” where the horseshoe needs to be.
Once you open the space it is possible to use a pry bar or an enormous screwdriver open it more…
Then it is possible to roll the horseshoe over the top to fit in place.
It’s not easy but more awkward for those of us not accustomed to this type of work…
Keep plugging away, you will get it…

PLEASE remember to use a 6 point socket for torquing the bolts. They have a taper or draft angle on the bolt head - With the torque required - 80 ft/lbs - a 12 point socket will strip the hex from the bolt.
Don’t ask me how I know…
The bolts are not routinely stocked at your Service Center.
The bolts are M12-1.75 X 46mm
The holes are drilled and tapped at least one inch deeper than the depth of the bolts.
If you are interested in a longer bolt to maintain the engagement length, a 50mm or 55mm long bolt will work.

Good luck,

Shawn

I tried to install the macboost shim in my 2023 model x 20 inches wheel. Been having hard time getting it in. I tried pring at it but still doesn't create enough room. They say to roll it in but no where enough room for that.Anyone have any tips ? Can I install it upside down ?
I struggled with this as well. I guess you can install it upside down but it may be obvious in the event you have some issues with the suspension and tesla service is required. I went the simple and most easiest route which is to remove all 3 bolts. took 10 mins per side!
1- remove the top 2 bolts
2 - remove the lower bolt
3 - pull arm outwards towards you a little bit so you can maneuver the shim into place.
4 - align and install both top bolts and start to thread them down but not all the way.
5 - align the lower portion of the arm to install the third bolt. This is where you will need to pry down a bit to get the bolt to thread. I used a "pull and thread" motion a few times to get the bolt started. Get the bolt threaded half way.
6 - fully tighten the top 2 bolts and torque
7 - fully tighten the lower bolt and torque.
8 - perform the toe alignment per instruction provided with macsboost shims
9 - Done

If you get stuck or have questions, give me a call or text at
nine 0 three - five one three - 6 two nine 7 - Sunny

Last edited:
I struggled with this as well. I guess you can install it upside down but it may be obvious in the event you have some issues with the suspension and tesla service is required. I went the simple and most easiest route which is to remove all 3 bolts. took 10 mins per side!
1- remove the top 2 bolts
2 - remove the lower bolt
3 - pull arm outwards towards you a little bit so you can maneuver the shim into place.
4 - align and install both top bolts and start to thread them down but not all the way.
5 - align the lower portion of the arm to install the third bolt. This is where you will need to pry down a bit to get the bolt to thread. I used a "pull and thread" motion a few times to get the bolt started. Get the bolt threaded half way.
6 - fully tighten the top 2 bolts and torque
7 - fully tighten the lower bolt and torque.
8 - perform the toe alignment per instruction provided with macsboost shims
9 - Done

If you get stuck or have questions, give me a call or text at
nine 0 three - five one three - 6 two nine 7 - Sunny
What is the hex size of the three bolts?

What is the hex size of the three bolts?
  • 16 mm socket for top 2 upper bolts
  • 85 Nm (62.7 lbs-ft) torque for reinstall
    1707407925450.png
  • 21 mm socket for the lower bolt
  • 150 Nm (110.6 lbs-ft) torque for reinstall
    1707407943406.png

Will not hurt lower bolt as it’s only 5lbs more. The upper I’m not sure about. Meet in the middle? lol 75lbs?
Finally got the job done on my Model S Plaid. It wasn’t easy though. The Plaid must have stiffer suspension than the long range Model S. Even with the tool shown in the photo, which I designed and fabricated, it took all the weight of a 200 lb helper jumping on the end of the 3” X 24” schd 40 pipe to get the third bolt started. BTW, it is not possible to install the shim without removing the third bolt as the frame is in the way.

Attachments

• IMG_0592.jpeg
    IMG_0592.jpeg
    724.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0589.jpeg
    IMG_0589.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Finally got the job done on my Model S Plaid. It wasn’t easy though. The Plaid must have stiffer suspension than the long range Model S. Even with the tool shown in the photo, which I designed and fabricated, it took all the weight of a 200 lb helper jumping on the end of the 3” X 24” schd 40 pipe to get the third bolt started. BTW, it is not possible to install the shim without removing the third bolt as the frame is in the way.
I’m nearly positive that the suspension is exactly the same. Would depend on the mileage more so

I could have used this today installing shims on my X. Ended up bolting a breaker bar to the lug bolts, so easier, but probably not as effective as your design.