Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mad condensation inside car. Help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my car, when parked outside, has a crazy amount of condensation consistently. Like it occasionally rains from the center roof panel. Not much but a little. A Toyota camry parked in the same spot has 0 condensation. I mean the car has no water inside, windows cleaned by hand, no papers or moisture in any form. Used the ac to dry out air... Still condensation after 2 hours of being parked on sunny yet cold day.. Maybe 35-40f. Anyone have this issue. Went into dealership and they said looks normal? Doesn't sound normal to me. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated and thank you for your time!

Pics? having a hard time imagining or maybe not getting what you are saying. Are you saying you have water condensation on your inside roof glass? How can you have condensation yet say there's no water inside and wiping a paper towel over it doesn't show any moisture on the toweling?

One thing I think makes a big difference is what settings you have for A/C, fan, recirc and temp. I tend to keep my fan speed set before I go into Park and when I'm leaving the car to 4-5 so there's a good air flow and I'll keep recirc off (only use when I need it due to fumes outside etc). Keeping recirc on sounds like it will contribute to people having smelly A/C air based on what I read on the threads here. I keep my A/C set to On all the time but don't set the cabin temp below 68-69 generally. Also take a look at where your vents are positioned.

I'm in the SF Bay area and we have been getting some colder temps in recent weeks (like low 40s even). Condensation on the outside of the car's glass surfaces during many of those mornings. I'll pre-condition my car on those colder mornings but never encountered a situation like you stated. Even those mornings where I go to my car without pre-heating, there might be some condensation on the inside front window when I get in and the systems come on, but then I'll hit the defrost button for the windshield and turn the cabin heat up a bit.

I tend to think your issue is from how you have your car systems set but that's just a guess. As you probably know your car will periodically wake up and maybe the setting you have are maintaining a bad air flow of warm air on cold surfaces.

Let us know what all your setting are when you get in and notice this has happened. It will give us more to go by. And definitely too much moisture inside your car is not a good thing so you're smart to pursue an answer to why it's happening. Assume if Tesla said your systems look fine, you can start by considering other things that could be creating it.

Last edited:
My car started doing the same thing suddenly a few days ago. When sitting out in cold weather, all of the inside windows have heavy condensation on them. I’ve had the car since August ‘18 and it never did this before. I checked and there aren’t any sources of water in the cabin or trunk as far as I can tell. I’m hoping it isn’t something in the HVAC that has broken.

By “cold” weather I mean dark out and in the 40’s or 50’s.

I typically leave the car set to Auto and much of the time it is outside air instead of recirc.

I’m hoping someone has had the problem *and* has a solution.

AC -> Auto. Set temp you like. Done. Auto is auto for a reason.

over a year ago, the day they delivered my car to me, I set A/C to auto, set temp to 68 deg. Never touched it since.

90% of the time it has been on Auto. And that has been fine for the last year and a half until a few days ago. Then, suddenly, all kinds of condensation on the inside of the windows.

So, I’m suspecting something else is going on.

C91AE9F0-8E13-472D-9838-ACECFFCA8563.gif