Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made a mistake while replacing steering wheel... any advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is very easy to avoid, if you just pay attention. You need to unplug BOTH the cables in the wheel from the center console of the wheel. As long as you do that, this won’t happen. It’s when you pull the wheel off and still have a plug connected that this happens.

I’ve replaced several steering wheels with no issue. Today, while replacing mine again, I was distracted while doing it (on the phone) and thought I had disconnected both; however, I had only done one. Sure enough, as I started pulling the wheel off, I noticed the cable was connected out of the corner of my eye, but it was too late. My wheel now looks like the ones above. Just a stupid error on my part.

Lesson learned. Pay attention while doing it and do the steps in order. It’s easy to do when you do that. Thanks for the info above though. Will definitely come in handy now!

This is very easy to avoid, if you just pay attention. You need to unplug BOTH the cables in the wheel from the center console of the wheel. As long as you do that, this won’t happen. It’s when you pull the wheel off and still have a plug connected that this happens.

I’ve replaced several steering wheels with no issue. Today, while replacing mine again, I was distracted while doing it (on the phone) and thought I had disconnected both; however, I had only done one. Sure enough, as I started pulling the wheel off, I noticed the cable was connected out of the corner of my eye, but it was too late. My wheel now looks like the ones above. Just a stupid error on my part.

Lesson learned. Pay attention while doing it and do the steps in order. It’s easy to do when you do that. Thanks for the info above though. Will definitely come in handy now!
Agreed … it’s was a careless mistake .. I was on a hurry and got distracted .. very stupid mistake

i made the EXACT same mistake when removing the steering wheel. you cannot repair that part, it's lubricated and very difficult.

mobile service came out and replaced it for me (steering control module) - $500 installed. dont get one from ebay, a software update is needed after installation. i also needed to end up getting an alignment done.

choose 'other' in the app and send them the picture, they'll know exactly what you need. it only took the guy 10 mins to replace. you don't need a tow.
Did this void your warranty? And did they help with installing the 3rd party yoke lol?

OP lesson learned, never ever work on any job you have not fully mastered without being 100% there (8 hours of sleep, caffeinated, stretched out).
I had a similar problem when I put the R8 steering wheel on S4, luckily I managed to align the clockspring and even got an illegal ETKA license to
program the new airbag, xxxxing VAG days, programming progressive turn signals by entering 010101 until your head spun, I pity programmers.

Ive just done the same thing when swapping my yoke from my old 3 to the new one... first time was simple, this time i made the mistake of not unplugging both cables beneath the airbag.. Will report back post-service centre visit booked for Tuesday next week