Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Magically disappearing 4 year/ 50k Used S Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2016 Tesla S used from Tesla in April of 2019 with an included 4 year 50k mile warranty. On December 28, 2021 when the mobile technician came to fix the front passenger door handle (fifth handle broken since purchase) I was told that my car was no longer under warranty and I needed to pay $230 to fix the handle.
I told him that this was wrong since I had a 4 year 50k mile warranty from the date of purchase. The tech stated that my car only had a 2 year 25k warranty (which was never an even an option) and upon being pressed stated that I'd only ever had the original warranty 4 year 50k warranty from the car's original purchase (sometime in 2016).

Has this magically disappearing warranty happened to anyone else?

You do have the full 4 year warranty as per a new vehicle. It is the same warranty. It starts when the car is put into service, or used as a demonstrator. Tesla isn't going ot extend your battery and drivetrain warranty. Go to your account online, Select Manage, and then Details. It will provide you with the date and mileage that your warranty expires. It isn't what you think.

Upvote 0
App is saying Basic warranty expires October 2023 rather than July 2024.

Tesla Customer Services have tried to pass me off by detailing the different warranty types and that I only got the remainder of the original basics warranty and will get another year of a used car warranty.

This way you should come out ahead. The extra year of used car warranty starts after the original expires and I believe it's an additional 10k miles as well. So you should be good through October 2024 and 60k.

Upvote 0
You do have the full 4 year warranty as per a new vehicle. It is the same warranty. It starts when the car is put into service, or used as a demonstrator. Tesla isn't going ot extend your battery and drivetrain warranty. Go to your account online, Select Manage, and then Details. It will provide you with the date and mileage that your warranty expires. It isn't what you think.

It’s all quite confusing as Tesla have changed their warranty over the years, and the wording. When I bought my car, CPOs were being sold with a 4 year/50k warranty which started on taking delivery, and thus is a used car warranty rather than the basic car warranty.

In the app it stated Oct 23 as the end date, which would have been 3 years 3 months, which wasn’t 4 years, hence my complaint. That was the remainder of the original basic warranty.

This way you should come out ahead. The extra year of used car warranty starts after the original expires and I believe it's an additional 10k miles as well. So you should be good through October 2024 and 60k.

This is essentially what has happened. In my app it now has an upcoming section which details the extra year commencing Oct 23. This was originally not present, prior to me complaining about it.

Upvote 0