Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main Battery Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't recall many (any?) reports of this. I recall some 245s but never 250. I suspect you may be remembering some 93% charges.

Agreed - personally, 244 is the highest I've seen, on a brand new loaner/demo car (delivered to me with 26 miles) that range charged to 272 and 90% charged to 244.

It's important to throw out any older stuff you see on the forums too, as several different releases significantly changed the calculation algorithm, and the pre-v5 software charged to 93% as Brian mentioned.

Agreed - personally, 244 is the highest I've seen, on a brand new loaner/demo car (delivered to me with 26 miles) that range charged to 272 and 90% charged to 244.

It's important to throw out any older stuff you see on the forums too, as several different releases significantly changed the calculation algorithm, and the pre-v5 software charged to 93% as Brian mentioned.
What firmware was this loaner on? 244 rated sounds like its the 93% charge number.

Last night with plenty of power in my main pack, around 200miles, my car suddenly started giving me three alerts:

Car needs service, car may not restart
Car needs service, please pull over safely
12V battery power low, car may shut down unexpectedly

I pulled right over and called Tesla. They did whatever remote diagnosis they could and determined it needed to be towed (confirmed by the fact she would no longer allow me to shift out of park with the shifter) and they arranged a flat bed to come and eventually take her to the new LA service center this morning. They called me after investigating and informed me I would be getting a new main battery pack which I really wasn't expecting! I had a few other little things I needed to get taken care of and had been holding out for them to get some loaners, which they're still out of. I should note my 12V was replaced pro actively at a previous service visit, so I'm hoping to get some details as to what exactly happened when I get my car back.

FW 5.8.8
VIN 068xx
22k miles
Previous pack was a "B" and I've been able to 120kw supercharge. I informed my service advisor of this and that I would like my new pack to be at least my previous rev or newer.

Any ideas on what I should expect with new pack? I know exactly what charge numbers my old pack was giving as I completed a 100% charge just one day earlier (260 miles) Could I possibly see something like 270 again?

Update: I just have to mention Tesla service is just incredible. They got the tow truck out to me, arranged for a separate ride to get me home (around 60 miles away) and this morning they brought a BMW rental to my driveway. Okay it wasn't a Tesla (preferred) loaner, but still. I can't even imagine had I bought any other car that I'd have been on the phone with that automaker in that (or any) situation.

Any ideas on what I should expect with new pack? I know exactly what charge numbers my old pack was giving as I completed a 100% charge just one day earlier (260 miles) Could I possibly see something like 270 again?

You will get a refurbished pack from those they have in stock. It may or may not have a higher CAC. Hopefully its a B or higher with a great CAC. Sorry to hear this but it is becoming increasingly described and oddly, many have occurred after a 12V battery swap like yours and mine did.

@johnbr - Sorry to hear about your experience. Hope it gets resolved to your liking and that you get an equivalent pack re-installed. Just out of curiosity, were you applying any significant acceleration when the errors popped up?

I can't image that these failures have anything to do with the 12 V. From what I gather, they are either the result of internal electrical impedance or battery contacts failing to engage. I just don't see the 12 V having any role in that.

....so I'm hoping to get some details as to what exactly happened when I get my car back.

Your series of warnings match a couple of other folks (incl me.) who had the same problem: Contactor(s) welded shut. This also causes the 12v to stop receiving power so it runs down pretty quickly. You'll likely get a new 12v as well as your main pack replacement.

I got a remanufactured pack and am delighted to see range numbers back where they originally were (although compared to some I showed little degradation on my old pack after 26k miles).

Your series of warnings match a couple of other folks (incl me.) who had the same problem: Contactor(s) welded shut. This also causes the 12v to stop receiving power so it runs down pretty quickly. You'll likely get a new 12v as well as your main pack replacement.

I got a remanufactured pack and am delighted to see range numbers back where they originally were (although compared to some I showed little degradation on my old pack after 26k miles).

I picked her up today, had them attending to a couple other minor things while she was in there. They did in fact replace both the 12v and high voltage packs. The reason given was:

Open fuse in high voltage battery pack.

Drive not available. Logs show multiple instances of BMS_SW_Int_HV_Disconnect. Toolbox case opened. It was determined the fuse in the high voltage pack is open. 12V battery was not supported and will require replacement as well.

I did receive a "B" replacement pack and have confirmed 120kw supercharging, which is in progress now, and I'll be checking what 90% and 100% charges give me with the new pack.. crossing fingers. :p

My main batter failed today

I have a 6 month old 85s. Put 17k miles on that baby already - love my car.

Was heading up to a Dr. appt this morning when I got a series of warnings after about 20 minutes of driving in 70 degree weather at about 70 miles/hr.

tesla_alerts.jpg

I was about 10 miles away from the Scottsdale service center and was able to maintain safe driving speed (60-65 mph) but I had little to no acceleration available. I could only draw up to 25 kwh (dashed yellow line). I was afraid that the car wouldn't "go" after stopping at the offramp. But, by the time I made it to the Raintree exit I was able to nurse it back up to 35mph and made it safely to the Service Center.

Nervewracking.

Anyway, after a few hours they called me and told me that the battery had failed and that they were replacing it today (under warranty, of course). They're keeping Wattson over night to charge it and run tests on it. I did go back into the station to retrieve some things from the car and saw the new battery in its crate and my car jacked way up to pull the old one out. Kinda wanted to stay and see the procedure, but they didn't offer and I didn't ask.

They're also installing something to deflect road debris away from the battery back. Free.

Bottom line: car kept me safe, got me to where I needed to get to, service team was awesome as always, but, alas, my battery did fail.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course, it wasn't the "batter" that failed. It was the "battery" (and my spelling) that failed.

Sorry you had to go through this, but what really impresses me is how the car is able to detect a problem and compensate for it. The engineering team could very well have decided to make the car die on the side of the road under these conditions, but clearly they figured out how to make it so the car can at least limp along to get you where you need to go. Much better than being stranded and having to wait for a tow.

I got the messages this morning - Car needs service and Car may not restart. Houston service center came and picked it up. They said the main battery had a short in it and they will replace it. I have 27k on my S with a B battery. VIN 57xx. I was getting 225 miles on 90% charge. I hope I get at least that amount on the replacement.

Update - Got my battery replaced. Replacement battery has more range than my old one. THANK YOU TESLA!!

Last edited: