Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main screen reboot while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new to me P85D did it on the first day I brought it home. We were actually parked at the supercharger and streaming music for the previous several hours was fine, but at the supercharger we browsed while streaming and connectivity disconnected and the screen froze. I drove away just to see if it would drive, and that was fine, then a few minutes later it rebooted itself and was fine several minutes later.

Ironic part was the webpage browsed when it crashed was Tesla's homepage. I am off to investigate the LTE upgrade, as I believe mine is just 3g.

The top right hand corner of the center screen has the connection strength and type. It has a few bars for signal strength and says 3G or LTE depending on the type of connection. I've seen it say 3G when I was in an area with poor cellular coverage and it shows the WiFi icon when connected at home, but most of the time it says LTE. If yours never says LTE up there, you have the old cellular hardware.

The top right hand corner of the center screen has the connection strength and type. It has a few bars for signal strength and says 3G or LTE depending on the type of connection. I've seen it say 3G when I was in an area with poor cellular coverage and it shows the WiFi icon when connected at home, but most of the time it says LTE. If yours never says LTE up there, you have the old cellular hardware.

I have not seen anything other than 3G, so I suppose I do not have the 4G upgrade. There was certain areas of non-connectivity going up the Coquihalla, I am sure this $500 upgrade would help with this, but would this make the rebooting of the control panel less likely?

I have not seen anything other than 3G, so I suppose I do not have the 4G upgrade. There was certain areas of non-connectivity going up the Coquihalla, I am sure this $500 upgrade would help with this, but would this make the rebooting of the control panel less likely?

They are separate things. I was told by the service center that if your using the browser along with other features the MCU can run out of memory and crash. I contacted them right after a spontaneous reboot and they said that was the case from checking the logs.

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
They are separate things. I was told by the service center that if your using the browser along with other features the MCU can run out of memory and crash. I contacted them right after a spontaneous reboot and they said that was the case from checking the logs.
Nice - thanks for relaying this message from service. That was my guess as to what was happening when I experience this in 2018.18. Hoping to get an update soon (and a reply from Tesla Support asking about this issue yesterday).